Doctor Who: The Figure Thread

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by The, Dec 1, 2010.

1. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

It's a decent likeness, definitely recognizable as her, but, not very flattering. More like the likenesses of Cracked (Or MAD) Magazine drawings, where they overemphasize recognizable characteristics of a person.

And yea, the hair is awful, the hairline looks like it lines up with her ears <SIGH>.

2. Demonland

Demonland Commodore Commodore

This ones an easy pass for me too.

Let's hope that UT announce a great Classic figure and not the rumoured repainted pink Peri and Shiny Master/Kamelion.

Give us a new Classic Companion!

3. Winterwind

Winterwind Commodore Commodore

Yeah, that rumoured pink Peri and Ainley Master would be another easy pass. I really hope that isn't it.

I'm also concerned about the rumour that Designworks is no longer doing the sculpts.

4. Whofan

Whofan Fleet Captain

One thing I wouldn't mind would be a Peladon box set. They've already done the Ice Warrior, now they'd just need an Ice Lord, Arcturus and of course Alpha Centauri or Aggedor. However the line does seem to be winding down with all these repaints :(

5. Whofan

Whofan Fleet Captain

6. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

I want an Idris figure, and an actual River figure, but I have to wonder ... Why don't they have their A-team working on the sculpts anymore. It seems like they've let it go down to the D-team. They seem to be such rush jobs these days that they aren't taking the time to get them to look like anything on screen, and they are coming out looking shoddy.

So it's either a repaint of an existing toy, or a shoddy looking figure that shares the name of someone on screen, but doesn't look anything like them.

7. Rarewolf

Rarewolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I believe that actually is the case. A different design studio is doing some of the sculpturing now.

The River figure, the face is spot on, its just the hair is awful.

8. P0sitr0nic

P0sitr0nic Vice Admiral Admiral

All weve really seen of River is the prototype tho, so im willing to see what the final product looks like.

9. Rarewolf

Rarewolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hopefully. Prototypes don't usually have articulation though, those in the images clearly do.

10. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't think those dolls look that bad, no child when playing with them is going to throw them down in horror.

11. Chris3123

Chris3123 Vice Admiral Admiral

Underground Toys tweeted that the Classic Who SDCC exclusive will be a Leela figure with "a bunch of accessories", including a crossbow.

I'd be interested in that if the likeness is good, but given their recent efforts I'm not too optimistic. :shifty:

12. ClayinCA

ClayinCA Commodore Commodore

How the hell is there still not a Rory figure?!?

13. Demonland

Demonland Commodore Commodore

Yes finally another classic companion. Bring on more classic companions I say.

14. Chris3123

Image of the packaged figure from doctorwhotoys.net:

[​IMG]

Finally, some Classic themed packaging! :techman:

15. Winterwind

Looks pretty decent, from what you can tell in a pic like that. Miles better than the River Song figure.

Interesting about the packaging. I doubt they'd redesign the packaging for just one figure so it's probably a safe bet that more classics are on the way.

16. Chris3123

A close-up of the unpackaged figure:

[​IMG]

More images here.

17. Worf2DS9

Worf2DS9 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It doesn't look much like the actress, does it? Clever how her necklace hides the seam though.

18. Winterwind

Hmm. Looked better in the package. Between this, and the River figure... these promo pics are really not selling the figures for me. Which means I'm reluctant to buy. I don't have the option of walking into a store to look at one in person, I just order blindly online and with all the shoddy QC issues of late, plus questionable likenesses...

19. Worf2DS9

Worf2DS9 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ Frankly, I think I'm pretty much done with DW figures, at least until Eight is released in someway other than the big box set. The excitement just isn't there with the recent batches of figures as there used to be with the earlier ones. Oh well.

20. Winterwind

Very much agreed. We got about a year of re-releases and variants with those four Davros sets. The Revenge of the Cybermen and Remembrance of the Daleks sets were never released on this side of the pond and then there were those two classic Sontaran sets which were a re-released Doctor, a Sontaran and a big silver gold ball as a ship that, when the door was opened, didn't even have enough room for the Sontaran to even fit inside.

The River figure and now the Leela figure have various likeness issues, and River has that awful fit with the hair...

I heard today that DWW still do the sculpts for the classic figures (good) but they've lost the contract for the new series figures.

All is not well in DW toyland. The excitement is gone for me too. There are more classics coming but... it'll take a lot, including bloody good likenesses, for me to get that enthusiasm back.