(UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Jax, Apr 1, 2008.

1. HappyDayRiot

HappyDayRiot Commodore Commodore

I'd want to leave if my club just showed its ambition by signing Gael Clichy as well.

Arsenal, you know, could well be screwed this season.

2. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Yeah, although knowing Wenger he probably has three superstar 18 year olds just about to come out of cryogenic storage...

3. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

He'll need them.

Clichy already gone, Fabregas will follow, as will Nasri and then there's Arshavin who looks like he'll be going, Bendtner who is going, and Chocolate leg's started making noises now as well.

Arsenal could well be fooked.

4. { Emilia }

{ Emilia } Cute but deadly Moderator

Any serious rumours in England about Chelsea going after Sergio Aguero by the way?

Looks like quite the transfer saga and for some reason I doubt he's going to Real. They've just spent 30m€ on Coentrao and are probably still going for Neymar.

I'm just trying to find out if somebody's going to compete with "my" Juventus. :p

5. Angel4576

Think Chelsea are interested, but think is preference is Juventus. Reading between the lines, it seems to be his agent that keeps maintaining the Chelsea interest, probably to improve the players terms when he does join Juventus.

Chelsea's preference appears to be trying to out muscle Real Madrid for Neymar. Yeah, good luck with that! :lol:

6. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Arsenal are in freefall and if Fabregas and Nasri both go then they will fall out of the top 4 and you can expect more people to leave next season. Personally they could survive without Fabregas anyway but Nasri is the key for me because if you move him into the middle hes amazing and better than Fabregas IMO.

If Nasri does go then we will see what kind of player he is, a move to Utd would see him challenge for everything and a move for City is just down to Wages because City will be expelled by UEFA soon from any Euro comp because they have zero chance of meeting the new rules coming in soon.

7. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I see Earnshaw's gone back to Cardiff...

8. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

There goes 15 goals with him, I struggle to believe Cardiff could offer him a deal better than ours, DAM.

9. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Well sounds like a few people were interested in him, guess the chance to go back to where he's still considered a fan favourite was too good to miss. Or maybe forest messed him about the same way the mucked Tyson about?

10. Angel4576

The writing was on the wall with Earnshaw as soon as he started blowing smoke up Mackay's @rse a few weeks ago.

It'll be interesting to see who Forest bring in now.

11. HappyDayRiot

^ Jay Bothroyd is available!

It's a very pleasing day :) We're building nicely but still short of decent forwards and another winger.

12. { Emilia }

I keep coming back to this thread wanting to contribute but I'm always disappointed to see that it's just about obscure Premier League players and not actually a UEFA-wide football thread.
    :shifty:

13. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Obscure Premier League players?

I'll have you know we're talking about moderately well known Championship level players :lol:

14. HappyDayRiot

That's a shame - contribute away! I follow most leagues and competitions at least.

Frankly we need a change from talking about all these tinpot East Midlands teams anyway ;)

15. Angel4576

Yes, yes, enough of the Leicester talk already, who really cares about them......?! :lol:

16. HappyDayRiot

Well you say that, but they'll be the talk of the country this time next year, having failed to get promoted and seeing their empire crumble into the sand it was built on. Seriously, they're in trouble without the Premier League money.

17. Angel4576

^^ T'would break my heart to see Leicester in financial trouble again. NOT! :lol:

Toss up between them and Portsmouth as to who deserves it more.

18. { Emilia }

You don't know what "following" really means if you haven't been to Italy. 3 nation-wide daily sports newspapers. And during the summer the tv channel Sportsitalia 24 spends 3 hours every night talking about transfer news. They've got a poor guy standing in front of Hotel Hilton in Milan all day just to see who enters the building (apparently that's where most transfer talks take place).

I gotta admit I never really cared about the Premier League. I miss the good old times, though when everybody was scared of Juventus.
    Gary Neville certainly was.

How many stadiums in Britain are club-owned these days by the way?

That's where Italian football has fucked up in the last 20 years. Juve's new stadium looks awesome, though. I like the suspended roof and the pixel-style outside.
    Should be quite intimidating when it's ready in 2 months cause of the steep terraces (sidenote: the Emirates Stadium sucks).

19. Angel4576

Arsenal, Aston Villa, Blackburn, Bolton, Chelsea, Everton, Fulham, Liverpool, Man Utd, Newcastle, Norwich, QPR, Stoke, Sunderland, Tottenham, West Brom, Wigan and Wolves all own their own stadium.

The only two Premier League sides that don't are Manchester City, who's ground is owned by Manchester City Council (built for the 2002 Commonwealth Games), and Swansea City, who's ground is owned by Swansea City Council.

Some of the best European nights that I can remember featured Man Utd and Juventus. Those fixtures were a pseudo representation of the re-emergence of English football and the decline of Italian football in the Champions League - for a number of years Utd couldn't beat Juventus, and then they just beat them for fun. I remember one game when United had already qualified, where they sent out Giggs, Neville and mostly reserves/youngsters, and they won 3-0 with Gary Neville hitting the bar from about 30 yards! :lol:

I miss having strong Italian sides in the Champions League - it's a bit boring at the moment, as barring the odd exception (Inter - Bayern) it's predominantly English and Spanish sides monopolising the final in recent years. It would be great for Italian football if Juve came good again.

Gutted to see Sampdoria go down last season. Always kept an eye on their results since they started showing Serie A over here about 20 years ago. It was the year when Sampdoria won the title, with Boskov's team of Gianluca Pagliuca, Gianluca Vialli, Roberto Mancini, Toninho Cerezo, Pietro Vierchowod and Attilio Lombardo - fantastic side to watch that season.

20. HappyDayRiot

Sounds a lot like Sky Sports News here - they have a particular breed of reporter whose job it is to stand outside a building in each of the main cities - London, Manchester, Birmingham and Newcastle usually - for hours and days on end in the same to talk about nothing, nothing but who's been seen going in, who's been linked with who, what the manager has or hasn't said. Some days they do some proper reporting on golf or tennis or cricket, but the nearer to the end of the transfer window it gets, the less you'll see of any actual news or credible journalism.

That new stadium of yours does look nice.