E-Books or Paper Books

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by JD, Mar 11, 2013.

?

E-book, Paper books, or a combination

1. E-Books

43 vote(s)
    37.4%
  2. Paper books

38 vote(s)
    33.0%
  3. Combination

34 vote(s)
    29.6%
  1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I was just curious to see what the ratio of people here who read all e-books, all paper books, or a combination of the two is.
    Personally, I'm probably close to 50/50 right now, but I'm working on trying to get through all of the paper books I bought before I got my Nooks. Once I get through all of my paper books I own now, I'm hoping to get probably around 90% e-book, with the occasional paper book I find on sale really cheap.

2. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

all ebooks.

3. Garrovick

Garrovick Commander Red Shirt

I like paper books; I only read e-books right now for works that aren't available on paper. It's not that I have anything against e-books per se, I just prefer having the paper book. If Pocket was to stop publishing paper books I'd switch over with no problem.

4. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I mostly buy ebooks nowadays.

For me, it's mostly about storage space so for any new ones, I'll probably go in that direction. As for which I read, that's about 50% each way as I do re-read older books that I only have in physical form.

5. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

All ebooks.

6. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

100% paper for me :techman:

7. Pavonis

Pavonis Commodore Commodore

I have a large collection of physical books which I'm still trying to get through (I estimate I have a 2-3 year backlog based on my typical reading behavior). I have both a Nook and an iPad with e-reader apps. I've downloaded many public domain books to the e-readers, but haven't gotten through them yet.

When people see the stacks of books I own, they say I should just get an e-reader. Of course I tell them I already own one, but that not everything I want to read is available in e-format, and that there are still advantages to owning non-volatile storage media.

8. shanejayell

shanejayell Captain Captain

Paper books. Until ereaders drop in price and the ebook prices go down a bit, I plan to stick with paper.

9. ronny

ronny Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This.

10. zarkon

zarkon Captain Captain

paper is all I buy

11. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I have yet to join the ebook revolution, although I will sometimes grudgingly read and edit manuscripts online. I'm used to working with hard copies, but realize that's a losing battle . . . .

12. sulfur

sulfur Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I picked up an e-reader over Xmas, and have been reading far more with that than I was able to do with paper books.

Having said that, there are certain things that I still want to have in paper form, including Trek books. Those are still all paper.

13. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

E-books here.

14. DeVario

DeVario Commodore Commodore

Mostly paper, but if something is coming out exclusively on ebook, then I just download it on my phone.

Therin of Andor likes this.
  15. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I buy all E-books now. Ever since I got my first iPad, I have done this. I intend to keep it up - I won't buy a paper book ever again if I can avoid it. E-books are just too convenient.

16. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

I have to go with paper. Even though I did purchase the Slings And Arrows TNG collection in ebook form two years ago (because there has been no paper release), I've only read about 3 of those books, and I usually only read about one chapter a week when I'm on the closing shift (I go home for lunch on that shift, and then I have a couple of fifteen minute breaks, so I don't bring a book for that short of a time), and I find that I can't get into the books as well as I can with paper. Paper still rules.

17. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

A combination for me. Non fiction is primarily hardcopy and fiction is primarily digital - although not always the case.

18. Gul Re'jal

Gul Re'jal Commodore Commodore

Gul Re'jal is suspecting she's on the wrong space
    Combination. I love paper books, but ebooks are more handy.

I carry a book with me all the time (to read on the bus, etc.) and if that's a thick title, eReader is a lot smaller and lighter. And there are titles not available as paper book any more, but still available as ebooks. Not mentioning the space on my shelves, or if I have to move and pack all into boxes.

19. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Two words: FONT ADJUSTMENT.

Last time I bought a Game of Thrones book in paperback I could hardly read the damn thing what with the grey paper, tiny font, convoluted things I had to go through to hold it, read it and not break the spine..

I absolutely LOVE my kindle. I love being able to order the next book in a series instantly and have it right there. I love that it doesn't weigh anything, that I never lose my place, that just clicking one font up from the standard instantly makes it more readable for me.

And most of all I love that it looks just a bit like a padd :adore:

20. T'Bonz

T'Bonz Romulan Curmudgeon Administrator

I'd say about 3/4 paper books and 1/4 ebooks. If I want to keep and reread a book, I get a physical copy. If the price is right and it's not something that I must keep, I'm more apt to get an e-book.

One thing that holds me back from getting more ebooks is that when you have a paper book, it's yours. An ebook can be yanked back and you're really renting it (long-term) but don't own it.

If the price is almost equal, then I'll go with a paper book.