NFL 2012 - Drive to Glory

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by SmoothieX, Jul 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SmoothieX

SmoothieX Vice Admiral Admiral

I need to watch that later.

2. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

It's pretty good.

I imagine Bill Belichick will be hearing from the league offices this week....

:lol:

3. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

Yeah, it's just a bonus that it happens to be on topic to this thread (the plot revolves around a professional football game in Baltimore). If I recall, the book featured a Super Bowl in Denver.

4. Green Shirt

Green Shirt Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Having a rough day, eh? :guffaw::guffaw::guffaw:

Go Ravens, go Os!!!!!!!!!!!

5. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes, the league is playing a dangerous game here, and they are demanding that the coaches and players participate in that "game" (against the refs union) by not putting added pressure on the owners by complaing about and showing up the replacements.

The Raiders' Darrius Heyward-Bey took a helmet to helmet shot in the end zone Sunday that left him unconscious. Nothing was called. Now, even there had been a flag thrown it obviously would not have helped Heyward-Bey, but it might have helped some future defenseless player going up for a catch.

Other DB's watching this play might say to themselves, "hey, they aren't calling that, huh". Next game, a DB decides to see it they're calling it and takes a shot at a receiver going up for a ball. A flag is thrown, but too late. The another receiver is laid out.

Goodell loves to get on guys about "hurting" the league by doing things like going to strip clubs. But apparentely, "hurting" the league by deliberatly hiring barely competent officials doesn't count. Such hypocracy.

6. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh yeah, and the Raiders get their first win of the season, a sweet little upset of the Steelers in the Black Hole. Up to this game, the only offensive player who has looked consistelntly good this season, was Carson Palmer, a surprise considering how he looked during the exhibition season.

The rest of the offensive team joined the party Sunday -- and not a moment to soon. :)

7. Tom Servo

Tom Servo Commodore Commodore

Eh it just sucks to see your team thoroughly out play the other team in almost all aspects of the game and still lose cause the refs are awful.

I'm sure its not as rough as the day after the AFC championship game though.

8. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Oh, c'mon, now, I just signed an offer sheet to relocate across the country and work there. At least give me a few months to move out there and realize that I hate it.

9. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well... at least it's not Detroit... so you got that going for ya. Slightly nicer than Detroit.

10. IndyJones

IndyJones Vice Admiral Admiral

The replacement refs just stole that game from my Packers.

11. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

No way the replacement refs are working Sunday after this debacle.

12. InklingStar

InklingStar Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

What a game, what an ending. Both the Packers and the Seahawks were on the receiving end of some lousy calls. Golden Tate's catch in the endzone was legit, since the tie goes to the receiver. He did get away with a pushoff beforehand though. I'll take it.

13. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^Look I'm sure you're glad the Seahawks won and all. But either learn the rules or don't tell outright ridiculous lies. That was not simultaneous possession, if there was 'dual possession' it was after the fact and thus defense ball.

14. InklingStar

Chill, man.

When they hit the ground, both players had possession of the ball. The call was made on the field, and it was reviewed a second time. The Packers' defense failed spectacularly on the play. They should have batted the ball away instead of going for a meaningless interception that was vulnerable to an ambiguous call.

15. 1001001

What???

That was an abomination.

That was an interception, plain as day.

And yeah, even it was by some miracle "simultanous", Tate shoved that Seahawk defender to the ground! How is that not offensive pass interference?

And even if you don't buy either of those arguments, what about that crappy PI call against Green Bay? The Seahawk had both hands wrapped around the guy (clearly shown on replay), and Green Bay gets flagged? And what was it, 1st and 30 or something crazy like that?

They have to do something about this officials situation. Seriously.

16. InklingStar

Yeah, Tate got away with a pushoff. I'm not concerned with the pass interference call though, even though it was pretty bogus. The Packers benefited from a bogus PI call on their touchdown drive too, so I figure they balanced out.

17. 1001001

The whole game was, as my daughter would say, ridonkulous.

18. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

That was an absolutely atrocious ending to an absolutely atrocious weekend of football. The NFL needs to bring back the regular officials immediately. All they're doing now is damaging their own brand.

19. IndyJones

IndyJones Vice Admiral Admiral

Um, no.

Here's the rule:

Jennings caught the ball two handed and pulled it to his chest. Tate had one arm in there initially, and a second after they fell to the ground. The only person I've seen call that a simultaneous catch tonight is the replacement ref. Now, obviously his was the only vote that mattered...but it *was* wrong.

[​IMG]

You'll notice in the second photo that Tate's basically just hugging Jennings. It's very sweet, but it's not like any touchdown I've seen.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
  20. SmoothieX

SmoothieX Vice Admiral Admiral

Unlike last night, I got no dog in this fight, other than the fact that I love the Seahawks' lime green shoes.

I thought it was a pick, but there was no way to reasonably overturn it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.