Explore 1701-D...

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by lewisniven, Dec 2, 2011.

1. lewisniven

lewisniven Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

It was suggested that I post this in here as not so many people venture into the gaming area.

I'm building an explorable model of ED in the source engine, progress is slow but its getting there. Here's the original thread: http://trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=148646&page=3

I'm also running a blog that charts the progress at www.1701dproject.blogspot.com

Feedback and suggestions are very welcome.

Lewism

2. The Axeman

The Axeman Commodore Commodore

Looking good so far. The Source engine still does amazing work after all these years.

3. Ziz

Ziz Commodore Commodore

Are you trying to make it a "full" ship - copying/pasting rooms to create whole decks or is it going to be more of a "sound stage" build where you just do the key rooms and they're all next to and down the hall from one another?

4. lewisniven

A combination of the two, building the whole ship is pointless, as it would all look the same and be mind numbingly boring to walk around. Eventually I'll link all the key areas, but probably on separate decks, then build a few Jeffries tubes/turbo lifts to give the illusion that you're exploring the ship.

5. lewisniven

A few newer screenshots, obviously some of the corridor sections aren't finished yet, but it gives an idea as to where this is going...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lewis.

6. Solarbaby

Solarbaby Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

amazing work

7. Ziz

Ziz Commodore Commodore

Yeah, rooms for all 1,000 people would get a little boring but you're at least going to do the main cast's quarters, right? There's also odd rooms and areas here and there that were re-dresses of existing sets - throw some of them in wherever you can. Also, there were times in the Jeffries tubes where they were working on stuff - spots like those could be fun to find along the way.

8. lewisniven

Yeah I'll definately get round to doing the crew quarters at some point.

Some further updates...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lewis.

9. JJohnson

JJohnson Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This looks great! Keep it up! How about control panels that work when you're done?

10. Ziz

Ziz Commodore Commodore

Have you roughed out any other areas yet or do you want to get the engineering room perfect before moving on? I do my modeling in the physical world as opposed to the virtual one. Part of my methodology is to plan out the entire build in rough form so I can get a handle on the scope of the project, then start layering in the details and fine tuning it.

11. Epsilon IX

Epsilon IX Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Some really great work here! Look forward to seeing more!

12. lewisniven

Not really, when I started I was only planning to do engineering. Then I started fleshing out other parts of the ship and its kind of balooned from there. There's no master plan or goal really, I'm just doing it for fun but its starting to really take off now.

13. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

All I can say is, I'm lovin' it!

14. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

15. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Beautiful updates as usual. It seriously looks like you set up cameras on the set. Colors and textures are dead-on.

16. lewisniven

The project's still going, just a bit slower, my PC is dying and I cant really stress it. I've done a few bits and bobs though. I'm also building an ERTL Ent-A when I have free time, again I'm keeping my blog up to date on the progress with that one.

Screenshots etc at my blog as usual www.1701dproject.blogspot.com

17. lewisniven

Made a start on sickbay today. I've kinda been holding out on this one because its such an oddly shaped room, but I think I've got it pretty much down. Obviously this is very early at the moment so excuse the crudeness of some bits...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. lewisniven

19. TroiFan4ever

TroiFan4ever Commander Red Shirt

Hey, Lewis, you remember the emergency lights from the "Starship Mine", "Masks", and "Genesis" episodes?

You should try to make the corridors that dark. That'd be WICKED if you could also pull that off. Oh, and you shuttlecraft? OMG! Just wow. I plan on doing this project myself and I would so pay to use your model of the Enterprise-D shuttle.

Also, if you could make the corridors dark but with the white lights still on like in "Dark Page", that would also be cool.

Impressive work!

20. lewisniven

The shuttles not mine, I found it online, its part of a shuttle pack for garys mod.

And yeah I keep thinking about different lighting schemes, the problem with dark lighting is that with the lit panels, theyre either on full whack, or off, you cant have them lit dimly, so far as i can tell anyway. You cant make them emit a dim light, but the panel itself is still super bright.

I'm definitely going to try some 'red alert' style stuff soon though.