The LEGO Movie? Yes, THE LEGO MOVIE.

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Shaka Zulu, Jul 14, 2013.

1. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

Coming next year:

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPnY2NjSjrg[/yt]

All those who play with LEGO's as adults, prepare to be vindicated.

2. P0sitr0nic

P0sitr0nic Vice Admiral Admiral

Lmao, awesome!

3. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

On the down side: Will Ferrell. On the up side: Liam Neeson and Morgan Freeman.

I'll probably end up seeing it. :)

4. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh, that was awesome. If successful, I could see it spawning different movies.

5. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My sons and I have seen the trailer several times and laughed each time. I love how Emmett is basically Andy Dwyer. Batman's line, however, clinched it for me.

6. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My son is crazy about Legos, especially minifigures, and he is absolutely dying to see this film. And his love for Legos has rubbed off on me, so I'm excited too.

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I have to admit when I first heard about this, I thought it was a bizarre idea. But now that I've seen the trailer, I think it looks great.

8. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

On paper, it sounds terrible, and yet the trailer was pretty damn cool.

Plus, Morgan Freeman.

Yeah, I'll probably watch it.

9. FreezeC77

FreezeC77 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I wonder how the Lego license works for things that they can make lines of product for when it comes to a movie? I mean I see the Justice League in there with Supes, Wonder Woman, Batman... but could you have Star Wars pop up?

10. ATimson

I doubt it - at least, not without a separate license with Disney. (The movie's being made by WB, which is how they can have the DC material.)

11. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Disney does have a separate license with LEGO, it's how there are Lone Ranger, PotC, Prince of Persia, Cars, Toy Story, and Marvel sets. They also had a license with Star Wars before the sale, but there are probably legal BS involved. I was surprised to see license sets at all.

12. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

I was as skeptical as anyone before giving the trailer a spin, but I really dig the faux stop-motion movement; it takes me back to the time I started planning (and shot a few scenes of) a Lego opus of my own...

13. milo bloom

milo bloom Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The varied and beautiful Chicagoland suburbs.
    Not sure if this is similar, but if you go to a Legoland center, they have a 3D theater with little short films. I took my 5 yo son earlier this year, and there was a short about a young boy going on a fetch quest to defeat an evil wizard and it was fairly entertaining. If they used those films as testing grounds for both technique and story, then this movie could turn out fairly well.

14. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

I'm kind of mixed. The trailer certainly isn't bad, by any means, but I will admit I wish there wasn't a ton of licensed characters from outside lines (DC) in it. Lego to me has always been more fun with some of its original creations, and they have an animated movie for Chima coming out as well. I'm just undecided at this point.

15. bigdaddy

Chima and Ninjago both have TV shows. There is a Batman movie and several Star Wars ones. The long Batman one had the issue of being long. I'm afraid of the samehappening here. Just a better idea for short films.

16. ATimson

Lego has a license. WB doesn't necessarily. (Normally there's no ability to "sublicense" these things.)

From what I hear, Star Wars more or less saved Lego's bacon financially...

17. bigdaddy

I meant in the movie.

However Star Wars both saved and almost destroyed LEGO. It's complicated but that was 10-15 years ago.

18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, the Batman one was just the cutscenes from the second video game edited together with a few extra scenes to fil in for the gameplay, so that might be where those issue come from. It wasn't originally intended to be a movie.