Fox Developing "Gotham" Young Jim Gordon Series

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

That's right -- usually the heroes find out the villains' identities pretty quickly, because usually the heroes catch the villains and put them in jail. They can't be put on trial without their names being known.

In the comics it was a couple of decades before Catwoman's identity of Selina Kyle was discovered, but that's because she herself had suffered from amnesia for many years and didn't remember who she was before.

But generally, aside from the Joker, long-running villains whose identities go unrevealed for a long time are more a Marvel thing than a DC thing. In Spider-Man, the Green Goblin's identity was a secret for a while, and I think the second Green Goblin's was too. Hobgoblin's identity was such a secret that even the comic's editors didn't know it; after the character's creator left, the Hobgoblin was given a different secret identity than he'd intended, and it wasn't until quite a few years later that he came back and revealed that had been a fakeout and Hobby was really who he'd wanted him to be all along.

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's adult Poison Ivy though...this is kid Poison Ivy and they could have given her a new backstory that features a new name for whatever reason...perhaps she's in a foster home, or under the care of Dr. Thompkins or a similar character for whatever reason.

Either way Ivy Pepper sounds like an alias...who knows why they didn't use Pamela Isley. I don't really have a problem with it...I was just suggesting a possible reason. *Shrugs*.

3. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

Relax, I was joking :)

4. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

Carol Kane to recurr

5. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Oh, interesting. So Cobblepot is an Anglicized form of Kapelput. Has that been established before, or is it original to the show?

6. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So...guessing that Gates of Gotham will not be among their chosen influences, judging by that backstory choice re: this version of Oswald, then.

Christopher: I think the Kapelput backstory is specific to this version of the character.

7. Enterprise is Great

8. Enterprise is Great

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I like him, so I'm pretty happy about this.

10. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

11. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Apparently channel 5 have it for the UK, which I think is good news. BBC and channel 4 will either butcher it and stick it on in early evening to appeal to teens or else shove it all over the timetables, usually at random ungodly hours, testing your sky plus to the limits. Channel 5 at least tends to make its US imports something of a flagship for the channel.

12. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

I can't remember the last time BBC had a major American import, as for Channel Four, I assume you didn't watch Fargo?

13. Captaindemotion

^ Um *blushes* I did watch it (slaps self). But I was thinking more of how they treated the likes of Angel (editing) or the West Wing, Hostages, Studio 60 and even The Sopranos, all of which aired at late and irregular times. Fargo (which was brilliant) is probably more of a good Ch4 fit than most US imports.

The BBC went down the late-night and irregular route with Damages, which was the last American import I watched devoutly there.

Channel 4 admittedly airs Agents of Shield but it's a little more PG than I expect Gotham to be; I suspect that Gotham won't really be suitable for a Sunday afternoon repeat, for example.

14. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

Fair enough, I didn't really watch SHIELD, only caught a few early episodes on C4 then the finale on RTE a couple of months ago.

As for Fargo, it was on at the same time every week, it even pushed back what was on after so they wouldn't edit the episodes down and even though that Lexus advert/sponsorship indent we had here was annoying as hell, they seemed to put the adverts in where they were meant to go.

I think it's down to the different controllers as to how they treat any programmes. (Obviously) Whether they're homegrown or imported but it's been a while since the examples you've cited (especially Angel!) and their have been a few regime changes both at the BBC and Channel Four since. - I remember when BBC2 was the place for Sci Fi at 6'oclock, starting with Next Gen in the late eighties and then finishing with Farscape, Buffy and Voyager a decade or so later.

I'm surprised Sky Atlantic didn't get this though.

15. Captaindemotion

^Yeah, I was thinking that about Sky Atlantic, or at least one of the satellite channels myself. But SA tend to go for the HBO/AMC type shows, as oppose to the network type programmes (which I think Gotham is).

Basically as long as it gets aired unedited somewhere accessible, I'm happy enough!