The OFFICIAL STNG-R general discussion thread!

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by jefferiestubes8, May 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

But they would at least have to re-do the text, even if it's in the same font. Isn't that right? As has been pointed out, the text is a SD image that would surely need to be redone in CGI, like they are doing with phaser blasts, explosions, etc.

Although I like the 'new' text (that we have seen in these preview images) very much and I wish they'd use that instead.

2. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

And I'm glad they won't be, so it evens out. :)

3. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I've really got to stop visiting this thread. Every time I do I it just makes me want to watch it NOW!

4. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

Yes. They'll re-edit the titles and I'm sure it will be in the original font since their goal is to change as little as possible.

5. 22 Stars

22 Stars Commodore Commodore

I'm sure they will have fun trying to replicate the different logo styles. I'm hoping they just release the opening credits this month or next as a further tease!

6. The Laughing Vulcan

The Laughing Vulcan Admiral Admiral

The more I think about it, the more I realise that the Blu-rays may just be untenable for me.

Since 1987, or rather 1988 when the BBC started showing it. I have watched TNG in PAL, on TV, on video and lately DVD. That's 4% faster than NTSC regions.

Watching the trailer for the Blu-ray, I noticed how sharp and clear everything was, but only after being struck by how slow the music was, and how slow everyone was speaking. Worf's little speech in front of the High Council seemed especially interminable. I don't know if I'll be able to watch it at the correct 24fps if everyone will sound like they're on dope!

7. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I've had the opposite reaction to you. I've tried watching PAL versions of TNG a few times but I just can't stand the higher pitch of everyone's voice.

8. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

It did make for a weird viewing experience when seeing TOS on BBC back in the mid 80's. The colors were spectacular, but everyone sounded like they were on helium.

9. Jon1701

Jon1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My TOS Blurays sound fine in PAL.

I think we'll be okay.

10. JJohnson

JJohnson Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

THAT must be why Chakotay's voice in Voyager sounded so much higher than I remembered. My versions must be PAL!

11. 22 Stars

Even I thought it was brutally slow, and I've never seen them sped up on PAL. I think that was just a bad line and delivery by Mr. Dorn.

12. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

I find it really annoying, in a very bad way.

13. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

SUCCESS!!

Well that's a whole different thread...

HAHA! They've/we've got you now!

14. Ghostface1701

Ghostface1701 Commander Red Shirt

PAL/NTSC is not relevent to Blu-ray (least not the HD video), the EU blu-rays will have the same framerate as US discs.

15. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

So I guess this is the reason why everyone on Law & Order: UK (including the doink-doink) sounds too low-pitched on the US releases of the DVDs?

16. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ I have no idea about that, not having watched an episode, not knowing how it was converted for DVD release in the US, etc.

17. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

The "doink doink" on L&O: UK sounded just fine to me.

18. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

For stuff shot at 24 FPS (or even 29.97 FPS), yes. Content shot at 25 FPS needs to be framerate-converted or slowed down for release in the US, since most players here do not support 25 FPS content. (Fortunately, I have one of the few. Though oddly enough it only supports it on Blu-rays, not on DVDs...)

It depends on how they were made. (I imported the UK DVDs, so I don't know how the US ones are.) They could have slowed the picture down, or they could have done a framerate conversion. Normally they do the latter for converting UK content, so pitch should've been unchanged, but Universal may have taken a different tack than what I'm used to seeing on 2Entertain's releases.

19. 22 Stars

I always thought it was more of a bong-bong as opposed to a doink-doink....

20. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.