Akira Refit

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by mclea1mm, Apr 13, 2015.

1. mclea1mm

mclea1mm Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Hello all,

I have been working on a new model. I have always liked the Akira design, save for some small things that I didn't care for. So, I decided to re-make the Akira as I would like it.

https://imgur.com/a/rt9CY

This made me wonder - what might you add or remove from the Akira class? Let me know and maybe I can work it in!

2. Ygg

Ygg Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

i think you are doing pretty fine job there already, looks great, find your pylons much more elegant than on the original, nice fluid shaping, and the full saucer makes it look more traditional, totally sound all around, i think all this needs is some colour :)

3. mclea1mm

Thanks, Ygg!

4. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Looks cool :)

5. 1701TPA

1701TPA Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Sweet : ) .. really like the direction you have taken

6. Bernard Guignard

Bernard Guignard Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

7. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Not saying you have to do this, but I never liked the angular-looking nacelles on the First Contact ships. Given their registry numbers, they all should have had nacelles like the Galaxy and Nebula classes.

8. mclea1mm

Thanks for the encouragement. Dukhat, that's an interesting point that I hadn't considered. I probably will keep the current nacelles in the interest of maintaining momentum, though - I'm getting close enough where I will move on to texturing soon.

Updates: https://imgur.com/a/rt9CY

9. Richard Baker

Richard Baker Commodore Commodore

I like your design except for the way the weapons pod attaches- on the original it continues the dramatic sweep forward started by the nacelle pylons which IMO is one of the nicer elements. Having the pod connected by a short curved arch makes it seem to me to be more of an afterthought.

I do agree wit the above regarding the engines. Those are the weakest point of the original Akira- they are too blocky and primitive looking. Not as conversant with the NCC numbers and ship production timing, but I do think something more swept along the lines of the Sovereign class would look wonderful on your design!

10. mclea1mm

Yeah, I see what you mean. Actually, when I started this, I was trying to think of ways to go without the pod, but the ship looked really unbalanced without it. So you could say I did in fact add it back in as an afterthought, haha.

One of the things I tried to go for design-wise, was a bit of a softer or 'peacetime' look, which resulted in that arch. Also the pod was going to be more of a sensor platform but it just made too much sense as a better location for torpedo launchers.

11. Richard Baker

Richard Baker Commodore Commodore

For me one of the big appeals about this ship is that it was designed for war- it is covered in torpedo launchers, it has the ability to launch attack craft from the front bays and recover then with the protected aft bays with thru-deck servicing, the bridge is protected (not perfect but then again not a tiny bump sitting on top as a target from all sides) and it has a hunkered down aggressive look to the whole design.
    I can see your logic in trying to soften it up some with a peacetime arch connector to a modular pod- it does change the whole thrust of the design.
    How about instead of one arch you make two narrower ones with the second further towards the nose and extend the pod forward as well? I think that would give the ship bit more balanced look since the original weapons pod was thrust forward from the pylons, it would also give it more of a 'structural' feel, like the upper pod was a serious machine the ship was supporting...

12. mclea1mm

Hello all,

Some progress on texturing. The specular map is outputting too strong at the moment (helps me see it while I work on it).

http://imgur.com/a/rt9CY

Re: the arch, that's a great idea. I'll file that away with the nacelles as things to tinker with in the future. Note also, that the existing arch follows the curve of the saucer when viewed from the top. I think I did it that way early on, said 'oh that's neat' and never bothered to come back to it, haha.

13. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

I would add more torpedo launchers.

(Seriously though, great job!)

14. JES

JES Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I really like what you did with those nacelle pylons, and how the sweep all the way back from the catamaran structure, but how could you get rid of those catamaran impulse thrusters, and all those signature torpedo launchers?!

I don't like the new torpedo pod. It's too rectangular. I would've done it to look a little more like the Luna-class's mission pod, and give it some curve.

15. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I really like how this is coming along! :techman: It's difficult to tell the differences at a glance, but switching back and forth between this (yours) and this (original) really makes it clear. Though I have to agree, the pod is a bit too blocky.

16. mclea1mm

Thanks for the responses, all. Here's the first comp -- more views to come. I'd also like to do some orthos lined up with the original design too... when I have time.

In true Star Trek fashion, don't ask me where all that light is coming from :techman:

http://imgur.com/2kZMwWr

17. mclea1mm

18. mclea1mm

19. Bernard Guignard

Bernard Guignard Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Very nicely done :techman::techman::techman::techman::techman:

20. Sgt_G

Sgt_G Commodore Commodore

I was never a fan of that ship, but your changes are definitely an improvement. Great job.