Ro Laren

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by los2188, Nov 26, 2012.

1. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Ro wearing an earring doesn't make her religious. Several atheists whose family are Christian celebrate Christmas. When it comes to ritual, culture and religion are heavily intertwined.

Seeing that contradiction would have made Ro wonderful in DS9, but after seeing what Kira became, I'm glad we had Kira.

2. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Ro Laren is possibly my fave TNG character after Picard but there'd be no need for her in DS9 if we also had Kira. And I wouldn't lose Kira for anything.

3. Agonizer

Agonizer Ensign Red Shirt

She also turned down a role on Voyager. I'm not for sure, but I would think B'Elanna replaced Ro.

4. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's interesting, I had never heard that before. Do you have a source on that one?

5. JediKnightButler

JediKnightButler Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I liked her character arc and her TNG "swan song" in "Preemptive Strike" but, after watching DS9, was disappointed that she didn't turn up as part of the Maquis at some point, which would've made some interesting conflicts between Kira and her and Sisko and her (I'm sure that Starfleet would have been hunting her given her betrayal in PS). It would be sad to think that she perished along with the rest of the Maquis when the Dominion came into the AQ on the side of Cardassia. Come to think of it, they never really explained (at least not on DS9, maybe they touched on it on VOY) what happened to the surviving Maqis. Were they all jailed, were they pardoned for their crimes and repatriated as Federation citizens and given new homes? When the Dominion/Cardassians wiped out the Maquis colonies it was basically a unilateral end to the Cardassian-Federation treaty that lead to the creation of the DMZ and the colonies, so their whole cause had been rendered moot. Sort of depressing when you think about it..........

6. Agonizer

I'm just speculating. Ro was in the Maquis, so I'm guessing one of the other Maquis characters would have been initially her. It could have been Chakotay possibly, but that seems less likely.

7. Marten

Marten Captain Captain

Kira was created to replace her, I believe. Perhaps we got lucky.

8. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

I believe R. Star is looking for a source on the "turned down a role on Voyager" part, not what role it was. I've never heard that before either, so I'm curious now. :)

9. R. Star

Exactly.

10. Agonizer

Here's an interview she did in 1994:

http://articles.philly.com/1994-07-12/news/25845745_1_voyager-ds9-kalifornia

"There was a lot of talk of my going onto 'Voyager,' but I'm not ready to commit to that any more than I was ready to commit to 'DS9' or any other series," Forbes said by phone from her Los Angeles home.

11. R. Star

Thank you. That's interesting. Subbing Ro for Chakotay would've been.... interesting to say the least. I can't believe this never occurred to me before when I had been pining fer a DS9 appearance by her for years.

12. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Thanks for the link, Agonizer. Can't believe I'd never come across that before. I guess everyone focuses on her turning down DS9. :)

Reading it though, one does wonder if there was not a straight substitution this time. Maybe they just reached out to her and when she said no they continued to create characters. None of the VOY crew may actually be a "we can't get Ro" creation.

13. R. Star

Well seems to me having Ro around would be an authoritative Maquis figure that might undermine Chakotay a bit. To say nothing of I'd love to see Ro tell Janeway how stupid she's being when she spouts off her holier than thou Starfleet dogma. :p

14. Agonizer

Unfortunately, she would have been written to fall in line just like the others.

15. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

As much as I love Ro, DS9 would not have worked with her in Major Kira's role, and I don't think it would've taken the producers long to realize that regardless of their original intentions. Sisko's role as the Emissary is the 'narrative foundation' for the entire series and you therefore need a deeply religious character to play off of him, and Ro could not have been that character. You also need a 'native' character (someone whose only emotional ties are to Bajor) for the show's premise as 'a Wild West frontier town in space' to work and Ro doesn't fit the bill there either.