Funny little misunderstanding.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Kenbushway, Dec 17, 2012.

1. Kenbushway

Kenbushway Captain Captain

My mother decided to pick up KFC Last night, however it didn't go down as normal. She called the manager ahead of time (because it seems like they are always out of chicken when we have KFC). Due to a communication error he then went on the cook $90 worth of food (like 40 pieces of chicken and sides). Now my mother never likes to upset people so she paid the $90. She is a better person than I am because I wouldn't have paid the $90 just what I wanted.

Has this ever happened to you or those you know? Would you pay the $90 or just what you really wanted?

2. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Calling ahead to reserve fastfood = doing it wrong.

3. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not necessarily. I remember, some years ago, being admonished by the manager at a Captain D's because I ordered 4 fish dinners in the drive-thru, and he said that I should call ahead for orders that large.

4. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

4 dinners is considered a 'large' order?

5. backstept

backstept Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It may be inconvenient to take orders for items that aren't ready to serve. Fried chicken or fish takes just as much time to cook in the restaurant than at home (not counting prep time, which at home may be longer)
    It's especially inconvenient in the drive-thru since there may be other customers in line waiting for their order.

6. ShamelessMcBundy

ShamelessMcBundy Fleet Admiral Admiral

For a drive-thru, I'd say so.

7. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

here's the important question: was it tasty?

i'm sure they could've done something with all that extra chicken. like sell it to other people.

8. Mr Silver

Mr Silver Commodore Newbie

No.

9. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yep. Though I had done it numerous times before, without incident, and in my defense, they were 4 combo dinners. Just fish and fries, nothing out of the ordinary or special about them. I haven't been back to that Captain D's since. It's not the fact that the manager said anything, it was how he said it. He was not very polite about it. It also didn't help that in the drive thru was a sign that said "Bring home the Captain's Best for your family tonight!". I guess the Captain wasn't at his best. :lol:

10. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Had a similar (but opposite) incident waaaaaaay back in high school. We were hosting a debate tournament one Saturday, and one of the teachers called ahead to McDonald's to order around 200 hamburgers and cheesburgers for us to re-sell to the students. Apparently the manager there didn't think it was a real order. At least until I walked in the door with the money and wondering where our order was! :lol: Was rather surreal watching them cooking and preparing like mad while counting down the numbers.

11. Spot's Meow

Spot's Meow Vice Admiral Admiral

I must live in a good area for fast food or something (not that that's something to necessarily brag about), because I've never had a place complain about large or custom orders. My family used to order what seemed like a carload of crap from Taco Bell and they never said a word. But, I guess I'm spoiled by eating mostly In N Out for fast food, as special orders are sort of their thing. I can't imagine four dinners being too much for the drive thru - my family had 6 people, and we sure as hell wouldn't have called ahead. :lol:

Anyway, there's no way I would have paid the $90. I also hate upsetting people and bringing confrontation, but I hate wasting money even more.

12. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I hope you ate it, shared it or froze it and didn't waste it!

13. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=On7U-x_s_EE[/yt]

14. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

A hilarious misunderstanding nearly got me chopped up at a fried chicken place once.

I was standing outside smoking while my friends got food, and my friend asked me to hold his cigarette while he ordered. He was taking a while, so I opened the door, held the cigarette in the air and shouted "hurry up Greg, or it's going to burn down!", at which point one of the staff hurdled the counter wielding a meat cleaver and chased me down the road screaming "you no burn down my restaurant, you no burn down my restaurant!!!"

15. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

Oh, I hated the Colonel with his wee beady eyes! And that smug look on his face, "Oh, you're gonna buy my chicken! Ohhhhh!"

16. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Bring me the leftover skins.

17. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

Captain D's has apparently instituted a One Child policy.

18. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

An old college friend from my undergrad days once told me a story about when he went to a Pizza Hut with his mother. They both left thinking the other paid.

19. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

LOL! I delivered pizzas back in the late 80s, and one night I came back from a run and the manager gave me $50 and told me to go to the store and get hamburger. "oh, and have a couple of burgers if you want" he said. Over on the counter were five big bags from the Hamburger Stand. Apparently he told another driver to pick up $50 worth of hamburger, and the went and bought hamburgers... Sometimes I really miss college.

20. Jonas Grumby

Jonas Grumby Vice Admiral Admiral

In light of these examples, I have apparently been way too critical of my own local fast food places. :lol: