Roberto Orci want both Shatner and Nimoy in Star Trek 3

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by yenny, Sep 22, 2014.

1. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

It is always a risky thing to take two characters from a franchise and put them in a romantic relationship that wasn't present in the original material. I think that Spock and Uhura was done well in 09 and ID and would like to see that relationship continue on.

I understand that Khan was a large nod towards the TOS plotline, but that doesn't mean the writers are steering towards repeating everything. Partially because Khan was Lindelof's idea, partially because Khan was still different from TOS to a degree and partially because I think the larger character arcs will play out in an interesting way, with both Spock and Kirk stepping in to more mature shoes.

If that involves Uhura getting pregnant, then great. I'm sure it won't be a huge plot line in the film, but the aspects of their relationship receiving more life is always interesting to me. Nice to have their characters fleshed out :)

Also, as much as the films have focused on Kirk and his growing in to a mature leader, there has been a maturation and growing process for Spock as well. I think Kirk's is being more of a mature leader, while Spock's is allowing the emotions he feels inside him to be expressed in a healthy way.

2. HIjol

HIjol Vice Admiral Admiral

Um. Just thinking back to every Trek with a baby involved. Messy. Distracting. Do not get me wrong, I love kids! I am an Educator. But, Messy.

3. Danlav05

Danlav05 Commodore Commodore

My detailed thoughts on a potential Shatner/Nimoy return on the big screen:

Out of the classic seven, DeForest Kelley and James Doohan are unfortunately no longer with us. Nimoy, Nichols, Takei and Koenig within the past 10 years have all reprised their parts in official films or fan films [Koenig has done THREE different indie projects now; New Voyages: To Serve All My Days, Of Gods and Men and Renegades!]. That leaves one exception:

William Shatner. [barring the DirecTV commercial and Oscars 2013 sketch]

Captain Kirk is a legendary character in his own right. Chris Pine has created a new version, but many want to see Shatner back.

There are two big elephants in the room
    1. Shatner looks older than he did 20 years ago
    2. Captain Kirk was dead and buried in Star Trek Generations.

Shatner could look a lot worse at 83, he looked in good health and shape just a week ago in London. But he is older than he was in Generations clearly.

Also this is SCIENCE FICTION. Spock came back. Worf came back. Data has been revived in the comics and books. Oh, and Kirk's briefly been dead before. (and I'm not talking about that sloppy mess that was the ending to STID)

Rick Berman and Brannon Braga have both admitted that killing Kirk was a mistake. Fans hate it; Kirk has been revived in Shatnerverse novels and a friend of mine is turning the 'Bring Back Kirk Trailer II' into a full-length piece.

let's look at some of the ways Kirk could return and break them down:

KIRK PRIME
    In the Nexus time does not exist. There is no reason why Kirk shouldn't look older, it can be explained. If the Nexus exists between universes then Spock Prime can retrieve his friend. They can team with their younger selves to defeat the Klingons or whoever the villains are this time. Not exactly time travel which is good because there are already a few of those in the film franchise. Just a ribbon passing through dropping Kirk Prime off! (Also if this is possible can't this happen multiple times?! There could be an infinite number of Kirk Primes popping up all over an infinite number of universes and time periods!)

OLDER PINE KIRK
    This could be fine, absolutely fine. No really. By the time Kirk and Spock have lived half a century then their characters could be closer to how Shatner & Nimoy play them. Yes their lives would be very different but in a different way they can be still two of Starfleet’s most legendary officers. Also potentially we could see Shatner & Nimoy in snazzy, smart new Starfleet uniforms from the JJverse’s future! THAT would be a perk for me! Maybe they’re on a future Enterprise with their own crew? Who knows. Or as a coda Old Kirk and Spock could be having a sip of Earl Grey with their friend Jean-Luc.

This would get past the whole ‘looking older’ thing if it’s an issue with Primey.

MIRROR KIRK
    The wildcard – Star Trek 3’s going to need a villain. Shatner is probably not going to settle for a measly cameo. For Enterprise before ‘In A Mirror Darkly’ came to be there were two ideas for Shatner to appear – either he plays the Enterprise’s Chef who Daniels has play Kirk at a major political event, thus saving the timeline, or he plays Mirror Kirk (Emperor Tiberius in the novels) who has been sent back into the Prime Universe’s past.

How about Tiberius leading an armada of powerful ships hoping to invade the JJverse (and failing?) Shatner would relish the role!)

DEADLY YEARS KIRK
    Arguably my least favourite option. A short sketch where Kirk and Spock are aged. It would be a bit tacky.

I remember vividly about seven years ago when the 2009 (then Christmas 2008) movie was being mooted, we had that teaser poster which TrekMovie still uses now as a banner and confirmation that Nimoy and Shatner had met with JJ Abrams and had possibly both got parts. In the end only Spock Prime returned, which was wonderful, I am a massive fan of that film. But on the 50th Anniversary it would be wonderful, 25 years after The Undiscovered Country, for the original Kirk and Spock to be on screen together one last time, and I’m hoping the appearance in length is closer to Nimoy in 09 than Into Darkness.

Pine and Quinto will still be the main guys of course.

Orci is a lifelong fan which is promising, he seems to know the characters well and the unfilmed Holo Kirk from 09 is well written.

Fingers crossed. Time will tell. It always does.

4. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Not all fans.

5. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

Not the fans that hate Kirk.
    They loved his death. :lol:

6. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    It does give one the impression that, despite rebooting, they can't leave the old stuff alone.

7. xavier

xavier Commander

yes exactly. I personally feel that the franchise is going backwards,imagine the reboot like a blossom baby who needs the hands of her parents to stand but as the baby gets older she begins to stand alone all by herself and not need her parents to help her.

that is what I want NU Trek to be like but its the other way around it seems. when this series was rebooted in 2009 it needed one parent ( Nimoy ) to help it stand and he did great.

In into darkness he was not needed at all but his appearance was nice. its like saying hi to an old friend for 30 seconds which is not bad and now in trek 3, Nimoy and Shatner are coming back?

It feels as if the new trek needs the helps of her two parents when in reality she doesn't. nu trek will be 8 years old by then which means the series can stand on its own without the old cast helping it to stand.

trek 2009 laid an awesome foundation for the alternate universe and I want it to be all about them in trek 3. if I miss the old cast I will just watch TOS series and TOS films.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
  8. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

No they aren't and no they don't.

9. Danlav05

Danlav05 Commodore Commodore

Barring the two videogames they voiced (25th Anniversary and Judgement Rites and possibly the aborted Secret of Vulcan Fury) it's weird to think that The Undiscovered Country was the last time they played Kirk and Spock together!

I say that because they've both played the roles seperately in a few projects; Nimoy did Unification for TNG as well as JJ's films and the Spock Vs Q comedy plays with John deLancie; Shatner did Generations, Starfleet Academy, a couple more videogames and commercials and of course that Oscars sketch!

That doesn't count audiobooks where they have lines as their respective characters.

10. Wildman

Wildman Lieutenant Junior Grade

When talking about Kirk's death a few years ago, Shatner said bringing Kirk back could easily be done, this is science fiction. I say bring him back like Shatner wrote in Star Trek - The Return.

11. BigJake

BigJake Vice Admiral Admiral

Alright alright alright alright.

This may seem crazy. And maybe it's just the wacky tobacky talking. In fact it probably is the wacky tobacky talking. (It's talking to me right now... it's saying things about peonies and how they can be used to erect a forcefield against gnats and cheesemongers...)

[Okay focus, Jake. Focus.]

So, you know how Chris Pine played this awesome redneck killer-diller in Smoking Aces, universally recognized as the single greatest movie of our time to bear that specific title in that particular year?

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yre_VX36FLM[/yt]

Okay, work with me on this. So the Enterprise has to submerge itself in a briar patch on a post-apocalyptic redneck planet, because of whatever and stuff. And they're menaced by a group of bandits led by William Shatner as Darwin from Smoking Aces. He could even replicate the above scene with Uhura in a turbolift.

Then in the end, there's a big face-off between Chris Pine's present self and his past self which is also the actor of his roles' past self playing a possible version of his present role's future self. And they pretend to find a means of understanding, but ShatnerDarwin is totes planning to knife PineKirk in the back, so PineKirk shoots him anyway and then merges into his alternate DarwinSelf to make ShatnerDarwin's Darwin [ZOMG SHARWIN HIS NAME IS SHARWIN] give the same creepy ventriloquized speech that PineDarwin gave himself using a dead Ben Affleck's mouth in Smoking Aces:

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwJhJV5yipo[/yt]

BOOM. Tell your first billion dollars of profit BigJake sent you. Right?

Of course right.

12. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Nah, I pitched essentially that story to Star Trek: Enterprise.

First, they rolled their eyes and said they heard this pitch two, three times a season.

Then they explained that there were rights issues with "Darwin," they'd have to pay Carnahan like 2 cents for every copy of the show they sold on DVD and there was no way they'd pony up that kind of cash for something like Star Trek.

I found this tremendously discouraging and confusing, particularly because Enterprise was cancelled a year before Smoking Aces was released.

13. BigJake

BigJake Vice Admiral Admiral

:lol: No vision. That was always the problem, right there.

14. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4beP5nKtruo[/yt]