Did everyone love the three Enterprises scene in TATV?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by Dream, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Delta Vega

Delta Vega Commodore Commodore

Every time I see the episode it makes me sad because you know that this is it, there will be no more.

They should hvae ended on the Archer/T`Pol embrace or even have let Archer relay the speech, what a legacy that could have been.

As for the whole Holosuite/Riker/Troi/Chef ???? thing, it was an insult to the cast and crew of Enterprise to see the way they were used in what was known to be the finale, a franchise finale.

I sincerely hope that somewhere, sometime in the near future, that writers and Star Trek visionaries can get together and give us more of this crew and timeline.
    They deserved better after two magnificent series, Three and Four.
    The scene with the three ships at the end was clever and sad, and also a complete kick in the arse to devoted fans of the Enterprise franchise.

2. mswood

mswood Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The thing that is so frustrating about the episode, is that at its very outline level, the idea is really cool. People from the future use a historic lesson from Enterprise.

And certainly there are bits and pieces that do work, but on the whole its a true failure.

Ideally I would have dropped things like Riker interacting with the crew (I really disliked that aspect), I would have changed the whole subplot leading to Trip's death. I don't mind Trip dying, and I don't mind Trip dying from something rather mundane (that's actually something we should see happen on Trek shows). I would have expanded the starting of the federation bit (seriously) and I would have actually had the crew show some damn sadness that a friend just died (seriously what the hell was that).

And while I loved, loved seeing HD level Pegasus effects, I think I might have chosen not to use a known "Trek" character. Kind of like how in Visitor the unknown character who interviews Jake was really, really effective. I think picking someone, perhaps getting ready to start a tour of duty or something on the Enterprise might actually be more effective.

I also think to hold that level of detail, it really needed two hours.

Now would you want to spend two hours of Enterprise finally season on something that includes stuff in the future is a whole nother issue.

Not that season 4 really had much focus at all to it. One of the reasons as a whole I am not that happy with season 4 is that it truly doesn't feel like a cohesive season. I like certain stories (some a hell of a lot), but it felt to me like the writers instead of plotting out a real arc, and pacing out the season, just said ok, we have a year lets just throw in all the stories we wanted to tell. Generally that isn't good storytelling.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
  3. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I really don't get why Archer starting the Federation with a big speech was such a big deal in 2161 when Archer already started the Federation with a big speech at the end of "Terra Prime" in 2154.

4. jespah

jespah Taller than a Hobbit Moderator

I agree with a lot of this. I also don't mind Tucker's death, or that it's essentially unnecessary. Shit happens. And space travel is (hell, Q said this) dangerous. While there had been casualties in ENT (and they were handled a lot more effectively than in, say, TOS), it really brings it home when it's a main character. In a way, that's a bit like the M*A*S*H finale, when Charles and Hawkeye go a bit loopy, and Mulcahy becomes deafened. They had been unscathed characters, and they shouldn't have been. I am all for sullying the characters, and for showing a reaction to that. 'Cause we barely even got T'Pol reacting. Even as a Vulcan, she had a connection to him and that should have been explored, that the connection was suddenly, tragically, cut.

The Riker framing is weird and all it did was make me think of how the actors had aged. An unknown, or even a prequel character, that would have made more sense. A young redheaded woman watches a holographic representation of the Enterprise because she is about to head into space and is a bit concerned that it's all too much, and it ends up being Beverly Howard. Or a young man thinks everyone in space has to be perfect all the time, watches a holographic representation and he turns out to be Jake Sisko.

Or, the people who are watching aren't human at all. What if a Xindi Reptilian - say, a guy with an Initiation Medal that he's turning over in his claws nervously - is about to board the Enterprise-J for the first time, and worries about being accepted. He watches a holographic representation and realizes that people might make mistakes and might even do damage, but they mean well, and we've got to take risks. And then Daniels appears and asks him, "Hey, Dolim, buddy, can I borrow your medal for a second? I gotta prove a point. I'll bring it right back, I swear."

5. Delta Vega

Delta Vega Commodore Commodore

6. Chrisisall

Chrisisall Commodore Commodore

Me too, as said on page one...shivers.
    I sense... kindness here...

7. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

I get that the final scene was all about the three Enterprises, but DS9 and Voyager are as much about Star Trek as TNG and Enterprise are.

8. Chrisisall

Chrisisall Commodore Commodore

Yes, but neither features a ship named 'Enterprise' so I am fine with that last little bit we got.;)

9. TheRoyalFamily

TheRoyalFamily Commodore Commodore

I thought that scene was a bit corny myself. The best parts of the episode (really the only good parts) were the HD beauty shots of the EntD. I never really liked the Galaxy Class aesthetically before I saw this episode.

10. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Exactly!

What was the name of the show again?

Not "Enterprisevoyagerds9".