Is a Hollywood liberal conspiracy keeping 'Red Dawn' from release?

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Dusty Ayres, Jun 22, 2010.

1. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

We went to the movies this weekend, and they played the trailer for "Red Dawn," and the audience laughed at it--and not in a good way.

I'm thinking that reaction is one of the main reasons, along with the edits and the MGM bankruptcy, that no one was in a particular rush to release this.

2. Base_Delta_Zero

Base_Delta_Zero Commodore Commodore

NK invading the US is about as plausible as the UK invading Russia. Even if the entire population was mobilized and given a rifle and a ride on the invisible fleet that bypasses our navy, air force and THE PACIFIC OCEAN, then defeats our army and marines, they still couldn't occupy California, let alone the west coast or wider U.S. There are less North Koreans than there are Californians, by about 12 million. At least the Chinese have the numbers to be a threat, if not the navy or air force or logistics chain to have a snowball's chance in hell of succeeding.

The Norks have magic EMPs, though, so it's all good.

Wolverines!

(I'll still see the matinee in the hope it's as complete hilarious cheese as the original)

3. EmoBorg

EmoBorg Commodore Commodore

Realistically China is more likely to invade than North Korea. To change the enemy in the Red Dawn Remake from China to North Korea is ridiculous. North Korea will have a hard time fighting the technologically superior South Koreans. It is extremely impossible for them to invade the US mainland.

For the makers of this movie to make these changes so that they will not suffer a backlash from the PRC government is an act of pure cowardice.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2012
  4. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Capitalism's a bitch, ain't it?

5. Drago-Kazov

Drago-Kazov Fleet Captain

Why don't they just make the characters defend a small Pacific Island?

That would make more sense.

6. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

That reminds me. They should turn the first Operation: Flashpoint game into a movie. That was actually fairly plausible, and cool.

7. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Actually, given that the US's biggest ties with China involve us owing them money I can see a plausible scenario of china calling in its loans, The US defaulting, and China exacting a penalty in the form of demanding (or conquering) American territory in compensation or demanding American compliance as they take Taiwan back by force and make moves to dominate the Pacific Rim.

But the leftists keep telling me China and the US are best buds now, so whatever...

8. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

:wtf:

You may want to study up on world affairs a bit more, because the scenario you're describing is not the least bit plausible. China's not interested in invading anyone, except maybe Taiwan, and even that, they would only do if Taiwan did something provocative (like unilaterally declaring independence, which I would hope they aren't dumb enough to do.) China likes the status quo. If the US simply quit paying them, China can hurt us right back by refusing to export anything to us--which, of course, also hurts China.

9. Drago-Kazov

How would they get there and besides what would stop an US nuclear sub from bombing Beijing?

10. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

China just bought an aircraft carrier from Russia. I'm pretty sure they'd be willing to buy transport ships and planes to go with it.

Nothing. The same nothing that would stop the Chinese governement from retreating to emergency shelters before the weapons hit and launching the campaign anyway.

But whatever...China loves us and would never hurt us...okay...:D

11. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

^ I don't think anyone is saying that China 'loves' America. But they're not stupid and don't want a war with the only other superpower in the world. Especially not as the world economic system, as it currently stands, works very well for them.

12. Drago-Kazov

They want to prtect themselves from aptential US or Russian attack, nothing wrong with that.

They are far to rational to risk nuclear war. Crazy Kim did not start one, don't worry.

13. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

China cannot "call in its loans". There are specific contracts and schedules attached to all the money loaned between nations. Do you really think governments would enter into agreements to borrow if their creditors could just call in their debts whenever they fancied? :lol:

International economics is not like lending your mate a tenner.

14. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

The "leftists" do nothing of the sort, but keep living in your imaginary world.

The Reds are coming to get you! Boo!

15. Data Holmes

Data Holmes Admiral Admiral

The trailer is up on the web...

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoqlBHSePw0&hd=1[/yt]

to be honest, it actually looks like an entertaining, overly patriotic, America Fuck Ya, movie with a totally out there story necessitated by the need of having a plot where some nation invades the US so the normal people can go all "america, Fuck ya!" on them...

Just like the first one.

I'll go see it, but I'm a sucker for "America, Fuck Ya!" movies, so...

16. inflatabledalek

inflatabledalek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It's got post pub classic written all over it hasn't it? Thor leading a bunch of kids to a Cabin in the Woods is going to lead to a load of youtube mash up videos as well.

17. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I wonder if that one will appeal to the young'uns like Hunger Games.

The trailer had me thinking back to that time a few years back when the power grid went out in the midwest. That was definitely unsettling, with no radio, TV, internet, phones, etc. there was no way to really no what was happening.

18. E-DUB

E-DUB Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah, everybody was wondering if it was a terrorist thing, and it turns out that a squirell chewed through a line somewhere in Ohio.

19. Mistral

Mistral Vice Admiral Admiral

Reading over the last couple pages, I am struck by how many people are so naive about how the world works. (There are exceptions, which stand out like the sun in the sky, of course.) I mean, China bought an aircraft carrier? So what? You realize how many anti-missile cruisers they would need to realistically defend it? And the odds of it surviving a serious attack anyway, cruisers be damned?

The leftists say China and America are best buds? Who are these leftists, and where are they saying this? Certainly not in the Security Council, where China opposes anything the US wants that doesn't directly benefit China, even when they have no real interest in the topic at hand.

As for North Korea-I don't think they could nuke Japan without an invitation given their technological level. Neither country, NK or Chi, could invade-just as we couldn't invade them. It took the equivalent logistically of moving the entire city of Jacksonville Fla to stage the first Desert Storm-and that was to push an invader out of little ole Kuwait.

As for the world economy-none of the advanced nations have an interest in destroying any other one. The interlocking finances, as pointed out, would make such an idea ludicrous. I don't think any advanced nation today is 100% self-sufficient. We all need each other.
    That said-this movie has lots of explosions and stuff. Should be fun. :)