An Idea For A Game/Project

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Michael, Jun 25, 2008.

1. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

The Trek Art Comic Project - final art thread

The other day I had an idea for a game we could play in the Trek Art forum. But before I start it I wanted to know if there's interest in playing it. Okay, without much further ado, here it is ...

The idea is to put together a Star Trek comic in an ongoing thread where everyone posts just one frame of the comic. The actual story of the comic would develop through the single frames. Every poster would have to react on the preceeding frame. The best thing about it though, would be that every frame would have a unique style, since every one of you has a different way of illustrating things (some use 3D software, some use vector or pixel based programs and others just make hand drawings with a pencil). In my opinion that would be very cool. The entries wouldn't even have to be too complicated. I envision that even the simplest sketch would be sufficient to tell a story.

It would be very cool if some of you would want to participate. If so, please post in this thread. If no-one is interested, feel free to ignore this thread and make me sad. :p

I figure to make this really work we'd have to decide on the order of people posting a frame to avoid people posting at the same time. What do you think?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2008
  2. ThomastheCat

ThomastheCat Captain Captain

Sounds like a sweet idea to me. I'd be in.

3. Michael

Cool! But unfortunately others don't seem interested at all. I think we would at least need one more participant to make this work. What do you think?

4. Ptrope

Ptrope Agitator Admiral

I don't think it's that others aren't interested - it just needs a bit of organizing. I agree that it might help to have a list of who does the next panel, or maybe when a panel is complete, a member can post for the next one and they have three or four days to post it, or it goes to the next person who claims it. I think you'll probably have a lot of repetition of members - this is the sort of thing that appeals to some and not to others, and of course, most of us do have other projects and outside responsibilities.

I think it's a good idea, with a lot of potential - count me in. I'm much better at single images than series, so this is right up my alley :bolian:

5. PlanetMudd

PlanetMudd Lieutenant Red Shirt

it's an intriguing idea ... would this be a serious story or just quirky? I could be in ... just for fun.

JM.

6. Vektor

Vektor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd suggest running it the same way the monthly contests work. Kick it off with a first panel and then let people submit entries for a week or so, at which point they are put up to a popular vote and the winner becomes the next panel in the series. People get to choose not only on the basis of the art work but also on which direction they want the story to go.

I suspect something like this would appeal most strongly to traditional artists. The Poser guys could probably work with it, but anything CG is going to be a lot harder and more time consuming. Could make for some very interesting results.

7. Masao

Masao Commodore Commodore

I've seen this kind of thing done on comic-artist's and illustrator's boards. People sign up/announce their willingness to participate, and an order for the artists is set (usually in the order of sign up). Each person has a set time (typically a week) to post the next picture after the preceding picture is posted. If the person misses the deadline (or announces their inability to make the deadline), the assignment falls to the next person. Since we might have a limited number of participants, we could cycle through the list. People could also join and drop out at any time.

I'd be up for this.

8. Michael

:eek: To be honest, I'm relieved to see that at least some of you are interested. Maybe we can do this after all.

Yeah, that were my thoughts, too. But I was thinking of a week for everyone to post a panel.

It's good to hear that. :)

It'd be cool to have you. As for the nature of the story: Well, I think that's about to be seen ... ;)

Vektor, thanks for your reply. And I think your idea sounds good. But somehow I'm reluctant to make this a contest. I really don't know. What do others think?

That's exactly how I imagined it.

Very cool!

So we have:

ThomastheCat
    Ptrope
    PlanetMudd
    Masao
    NCC-1701

Anyone who wants to be the first? :D

9. PlanetMudd

It's your baby ... fire away!

:D

JM.

10. Michael

Okay. :D

Then who wants to be the second, third and so on ... ?

11. ThomastheCat

I can do second.

12. Michael

^ Cool, so it's:

[1.] NCC-1701
    [2.] ThomastheCat
    [3.] ?
    [4.] ?
    [5.] ?

Ptrope
    PlanetMudd
    Masao

13. Ptrope

Ptrope Agitator Admiral

Third time's a charm ... :D. Pencil me in (no pun intended)!

14. Michael

^ Excellent! Now I'm getting all excited like a little school girl. You can tell, can't you? :D

[1.] NCC-1701
    [2.] ThomastheCat
    [3.] Ptrope
    [4.] ?
    [5.] ?

PlanetMudd
    Masao

15. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'll take a crack at it.

Sincerely,

Bill

16. Michael

^ Very good, Bill. The more the merrier! :)

Do you want to be the fourth on the list?

17. PlanetMudd

Just toss me in there any old place ...

:D

JM.

18. Vektor

Vektor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What the heck. Count me in, too.

19. Michael

^ Yeah, I believe with such great talents this will be great! I'm looking forward to your entries. :)

Okay, the preliminary list:

[1.] NCC-1701
    [2.] ThomastheCat
    [3.] Ptrope
    [4.] PlanetMudd
    [5.] Vektor
    [6.] Redfern
    [7.] Masao

Of course everyone is still welcome to join. :)

Okay, I'll post the first panel soon. I already have an idea, but I have to see how it works out. Thanks to everyone who participates!

20. ThomastheCat

Yikes! There are some heavy hitters signed up!