5x10 Vincent and the Doctor (Grading/Discussion) SPOILERS!!

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Count Zero, Jun 5, 2010.

?

What's your verdict?

1. Excellent

63.3%
  2. Good

28.5%
  3. Average

2.5%
  4. Meh

3.8%
  5. I'd rather cut off my ear

1.9%
  1. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!

It's great.

Hope that helps. :)

2. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think the story of a man who is deeply isolated because he just doesn't know how to have a relationship, who then encounters a woman who gets to know him incredibly intimately without him meaning to let her into his heart, is deeply moving. As is, for that matter, the way he loses her at the end.

I can't think of a single episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation that is as well-written and well-acted as "Vincent and the Doctor." The characters on TNG are far too shallow and two-dimensional to even compare.

3. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

And that might be a good topic for discussion elsewhere too. :)

4. I am not Spock

I am not Spock Commodore Commodore

Vincent And The Doctor is probably in my top five of the nuWho revival. Girl In The Fireplace, Family of Blood/Human Nature, and Blink have to be up there as well.

As for TNG vs Who, well, they're very different shows. Both have their extraordinary and not so great episodes. Indeed, TNG season five did have its share of phenomenal episodes (I'd put The Inner Light in the same category as V&TD.)

5. Shatnertage

Shatnertage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd put "Tapestry" up there too. And quite a few others.

Good episode, this one.

6. Gibraltar

Gibraltar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I absolutely loved this episode, more so because it didn't have a feel-good ending to it.

Though it's taken me awhile, I’ve really started to appreciate Matt Smith’s Doctor. I love his quirky, self-narrating idiosyncrasies, and his awkwardness that’s so different from the confident swagger of Tennant’s character.

That I've got to take exception with. Family and The Inner Light come to mind as excellent, character and emotion driven episodes of TNG.

7. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

I always like how the very best episodes of tNG have nothing to do with the premise of tNG. :)

8. Shatnertage

Shatnertage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Absolutely true. When the show stays away from quantum signatures and sticks to the universals, it's at its best.

9. Bones2

Bones2 Commodore Commodore

Nah. I'd say it's an even spread between the episodes based around its premise and the universals. On the one hand, Best of Both Worlds, All Good Things, Chain of Command, and Yesterday's Enterprise very much have to do with the scenario around which the show is based. At the same time, Frame of Mind, Tapestry, and The Inner Light needn't be TNG stories. TNG was just a great show I think.