Season 3 HD starts next week in UK

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Trek Survivor, Feb 28, 2013.

1. FrontierTrek

FrontierTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Quotation marks changed slightly. In Season 1 they used the curly quote marks: http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x05/thelastoutpost_hd_057.jpg

In Season 2 they used the straight quote marks: http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/2x05/loudasawhisper_hd_049.jpg [but tapered and italicized unlike the sampler disc variant]

They have stuck with the S2 quote marks for S3 onwards.

2. DrBeverly

DrBeverly Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Glanced into Syfy now, they're showing The Ensigns of Command, which looks... quite good. I haven't seen an HD episode of TNG so I can't tell, are they finally showing it in 'proper' HD?

I noticed the picture isn't stretched, like it usually is when they're showing the old transfers.

3. You_Will_Fail

You_Will_Fail Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Gah, I wish I was back in the UK for this!

4. Galactic Alignment

Galactic Alignment Captain Captain

Yes, it's real HD. Comparing the pin-sharp HD remasters to the muddy old versions of the episode, it's like night and day.

BTW, watching SyFy, the picture quality in season 3 episode is visibly better than season 2. Is that the same on the Blu-rays, to anyone who owns the discs?

5. SpHeRe31459

SpHeRe31459 Captain Captain

Yes, S2 was remastered quite poorly by a 3rd party. There was quite the outrage when it was released in December 2012. Are you really not reading the reviews of the Blu-ray sets? I dunno how you can't be at least curious how they turn out even if you aren't buying them.

6. mattman8907

mattman8907 Commodore Commodore

why hasn't season three been released on iTunes?

7. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

While not up to the quality of the work CBS-Digital did, the season two Blu-ray is miles ahead of the quality of the DVD set.

8. Galactic Alignment

Galactic Alignment Captain Captain

I wasn't aware of that at the time, as I'd been out of the Trek loop for ages, since 2010, possibly earlier. I wasn't even aware that there was an HD remastering of TNG until a few months ago when I was browsing the channels on Sky looking for Trek episodes to watch! Having just seen Into Darkness in the cinema, I needed a Trek fix ASAP, or some kind of reminding that the sci-fi franchise I used to love wasn't as bad as the film I'd just paid to see.

(There's no chance of a DS9 remastering into HD, is there?)

9. GameOn

GameOn Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

It sounds like it's dependant on how well TNG performs. DS9 used a lot of CGI in the last couple of season which would all have to be recreated in HD so that complicates matters.