Levar Burton aka Geordi La Forge criticizes Star Trek 2009

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by serenitytrek1, Feb 22, 2013.

1. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This whole argument over who wants to delete what and who exists or doesn't anymore in the imaginary Star Trek universe is probably one of the stupidest ever.

2. KirkusOveractus

KirkusOveractus Commodore Commodore

See? I knew Lou Rawls was a Trek fan! I didn't know he went that far with it, though!

3. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Well, Burton has a vested interest as he's trying to get another paycheck out of the franchise.

4. SalvorHardin

It would be in his best interest then to try and befriend Abrams, hoping to get some kind of cameo in the next one. Because other than that, another Trek paycheck is not happening any time soon. Even if Abrams was fired tomorrow.

5. Opus

Opus Commodore Commodore

And that's the bottom line. It's sad to say because I like Burton a great deal, but he's coming off as desperate and pathetic.

6. KirkusOveractus

KirkusOveractus Commodore Commodore

While that's all well and good, note to Burton: You're an actor! Get another job! Do conventions! Do a Time-Life Music infomercial! Stop sucking off the teat of TNG! It's over! Put down the visor and walk away!

7. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

That is true!

8. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

You mean the Star Wars forums where anyone not seething with rage and butthurt over the prequels was accused of actually being paid off by Lucas?

Those Star Wars forums?

9. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

I thought so. So really, if there is no such thing as a "smart" movie, why criticize Star Trek for not being one?

10. TorontoTrekker

TorontoTrekker Vice Admiral Admiral

Perhaps, but as I recall, he and Michael Dorn were the two biggest TOS fans in the TNG cast. He may also be having a legitimate emotional reaction to seeing something he loves being changed.

11. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

But where has Abrams ever said that there is no other Trek than his that's of any validity? That's the most puzzling thing. If Burton truly believes Abrams has said something like this, I can understand his being upset. But has anyone actually said this?

12. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, lots of people have said it in this thread. So which one of us is LeVar Burton?

13. SalvorHardin

Not me, I'm Gates McFadden.

14. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm Patrick Stewart and Brent Spiner.

15. chardman

chardman Vice Admiral In Memoriam

So basically this thread could be called "Guy who used to be in Star Trek is critical of newer Star Trek incarnation where his participation is not needed or desired"?

Gosh.

16. SalvorHardin

Hmmm

http://www.thestar.com/entertainmen...urton_talk_star_trek_the_next_generation.html

17. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Just skimming over the text, but I'm not seeing anything about disquieting "things [heard] coming out of [the Abrams] camp" or citing Abrams' alleged (but as-yet-unsourced) "There should be no Star Trek except the one I make" statement. Could those have been an invention on the part of the Toronto Sun interviewer and not something Burton ever in fact said?

18. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Well that's for certain, Abramstrek isn't shaking anything up, nor does it break any new ground. TOS on the other hand had a huge impact on society, especially on racial issues. Abramstrek is just pure entertainment, it doesn't provoke anyone (except hardcore trekkies), and it doesn't give you any food for thought. They could have done it, by introducing a new crew, or rebooting complete, introducing homosexual, religious and whatever issues. But they went for a film were the most controversial idea is that Uhura makes out with Spock.

19. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

Nah, not really. The original Star Trek was a well-made series, it was memorable and it had slight ambitions beyond entertainment, but no, it didn't have a huge impact on society or racial issues. For starters, I Spy was on air one full year before Trek, and its stance on racial issues was much more spectacular.

When people portray Star Trek as a thought-provoking series, which admittedly is not a complete fabrication, they keep mentioning the same couple of episodes again and again and again, barely enough to fill a night of television entertainment. Yeah, some episodes were somewhat clever, but lots of them were not, and it was the kind of "clever" which seems much more impressive when you're thirteen.

20. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Well, the film touches on bullying, being a child of two cultures, nature vs. nurture. But it doesn't smack you upside the head with any of them.