Greenwood To Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Nov 26

Shatner In Hallmark Christmas Movie
By: T'Bonz on Nov 26

Abrams On Star Trek Into Darkness Flaws
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Star Trek Beyond In IMAX
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

View Poll Results: Rate One Constant Star.
Outstanding 13 25.00%
Above Average 15 28.85%
Average 18 34.62%
Below Average 1 1.92%
Poor 5 9.62%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 16 2015, 03:26 AM   #211
Re: LE: One Constant Star by David R. George III Review Thread (Spoile

Christopher wrote: View Post
I checked, and I can't find any references to Captain Sulu or the Excelsior in any novels or comics set between 2308 and 2319. But the frame story of the first original Captain Sulu audiobook, Transformations, is set in 2314 according to Memory Beta.

MB also says that Stargazer: Enigma mentions Crajjik being the captain of Excelsior in 2308, rather than its first officer as in this novel. But that's a reference to something that happened 25 years before Enigma, so maybe some character misremembered something?
And there are such things like temporary captaincy or so. I´m not familiar with all of the Stargazer novels. And in the end it is not too relevant. DRG III is still an expert for the Sulus and I´m looking forward to seeing them in future adventures .
Kilana2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2015, 03:47 AM   #212
Fleet Captain

I wonder if David R. George III read Burning Dreams before finalizing One Constant Star. I would sure like to know if he figured that Burning Dreams was ignorable in favor of One Constant Star or if he figured that Hikaru Sulu's Excelsior in 2320 could be Excelsior (NCC-21445). Or something else.
Freedom is the right of all sentient beings. - Optimus Prime
Enterprise1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2015, 06:07 AM   #213

^ That's also been my own personal fix for this since last summer, basically -- that TNG Okudagram which gave a different registry-number (NCC-21145) allows for Hikaru Sulu to still potentially be captaining a vessel named Excelsior in 2320, if one chooses.

Was just checking Burning Dreams, and the only specific thing mentioned in that novel is that Sulu's starship is Excelsior-class, not that it was necessarily the same one commissioned in 2285, so there's some fudgeability there.

Naturally, the MMO takes a different tack, having the original, century-old Excelsior surviving into that era and operating right alongside the NCC-21145 Excelsior, which contradicts One Constant Star, but that game's always been in its own continuity anyway, so it doesn't bother me.
"Pablo, please take Chet's corpse into the other room, and then fix Mr. Hallenbeck a drink."
Leto_II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2015, 11:47 PM   #214
Rowan Sjet

Finally got around to reading this, gave it above average for the character work, but only slightly. Agreed with a lot of the praise and complaints it got here.

Anyone else raise an eyebrow at the fact that during the extremely delicate operation involving the shuttles raising the portal near the middle of the book, that when one of the shuttles fails they didn't have a single backup shuttle ready to go to take it's place? Or any contingency plans, at all, for such an easily expected event?

Tut-tut, I am very disappointed in this lack of foresight.

(Yeah, I get DRGIII wanted a dramatic moment with the Enterprise rushing in at the last minute, but still )
And the sign said, "Long haired freaky people need not apply..."
Rowan Sjet is offline   Reply With Quote