Ongoing Community Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Admiral_Young, Jan 21, 2011.

1. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

That's exactly my point. Get rid of everyone, Jeff can do guest spots as he's probably busy too as the teacher. The only character that transfers over is the Dean and then we have 5-7 new people, and some minor characters in the background.

Making Dean the main character would never work, but having him around keeps the shows connected.

2. Campe

Campe Vice Admiral Admiral

I just keep thinking Scrubs: Med School...

3. bigdaddy

As long as it's funny it could work. If not we just ignore it like Scrubs Med School.

4. LeadHead

LeadHead Director of Comedy Premium Member

Or Saved by the Bell: The New Class, either way it's likely to require brain wiping technology for the viewers.

5. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

If I could name the new Community show I would name it "Community: TNG". Not "The Next Generation". Just "TNG". :)

It would also be worth bringing over Frankie and Chang.

I love Community and I love the cast, but they've done so many great things with those characters they just don't need to add to it. But, if they could create a new chemistry with new characters but with the same creative people I think they could possibly strike gold again.

And they could still do cameos whenever they had a good idea for one.

6. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

How about Community: Roots?

Showing the... Oh dear god.... The founding of Greendale (1974 apparently) or close to it's founding, in maybe the 1980s, detailing the adventures of "Young Pierce" showing up and getting comfortable back when everyone talked like he did and believed in concepts like he did.

7. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^
    Except the twist is that he's the most moderate of them all!

8. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

You know, after the end of Season 5 I was devastated that the show got cancelled (briefly). But now? I'm pretty OK with the news that they're ending it at six seasons. Not only because of the hashtag that took on a life of it's own, but because that final episode worked wonderfully as a series finale, even if it still left out two of the original Greendale Seven.

I'm still optimistic that a movie will get made eventually. Than Sony can release a complete series box set with the movie too and call it something silly like "Six Seasons and a Movie collection."

9. JirinPanthosa

10. bigdaddy

11. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I'm way behind the times but I only just now figured out what Yahoo Screen was :p

I just finished Season Six, and I thought it was terrible. It was just painfully unfunny and uninteresting, a real hollow going through the motions. And the show actually acknowledges it's unfunny which blows back my hair; rather than making jokes about being terrible, why not try being better?

I'm someone who thought S2-4 was excellent (yes, I liked the Harmon less year). S5 was also good but definitely lost something without Troy. But man, this was just an incredible disappointment across the board.

12. JirinPanthosa

Season 6 was weak in general but had its gems. Though I loved season 5. And you can't compare any of it to season 4. Season 4 was like a CBS sitcom with characters who happen to have the same names of Community characters. Nothing but empty tropes and quirk driven conflict, none of the things that made Community special.

I'd rank the seasons:
    1. Season 2 (A)
    2. Season 3 (A)
    3. Season 1 (A-)
    4. Season 5 (B+)
    5. Season 6 (C)
    6. Season 4 (F)

13. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I just recently watched all six seasons in one massive marathon, and I still don't see any difference between S3 and S4. And if S6 is a sign of the genius of Dan Harmon, it's no wonder I didn't miss him for that year. ;)

My all time favorite episode is the S5 Ass Crack Bandit episode. Not only was it hilarious, it was brilliantly shot and a perfect parody of Seven/Zodiac. It actually managed to be quite creepy and beautiful at times. And I can't stop laughing when Troy gets out of his blanket to slap the Bandit then gets back in his wheelchair, puts his blanket back on, and crosses his eyes again :lol:

But I think my greatest complaint about the series in general is Ben Chang. There was no reason to keep him on the show after S1, and he just stuck out like a sore thumb the entire way through. The only time his character had a purpose was his little evil general bit in S3. I get that we like the actor and everything but it was just embarrassing.

14. LeadHead

LeadHead Director of Comedy Premium Member

I agree with these rankings. Although in Season 4 the puppets and origin story episodes bump its grade up to a D.

15. JirinPanthosa

I found the puppets episode the worst episode, as it had characters behaving with less intelligence than we know them to possess.

@Mr Light

I see S4 as kind of similar to Trek fans who hate the Abrams movies. People who aren't into Star Trek can't tell the difference, but people who really are on its specific wavelength can tell it's different. Season 6 was a pretty weak season overall, but it was still hitting the same wavelength that Community fans are attuned to, and season 4 was not. Even if, should you not be attuned to that wavelength, you might find some of season 4 more accessible.

Like, you have to have been into D&D or tabletop roleplaying at some point to understand just how spot on the D&D episodes are. Like the whole 'elf maiden' sequence hit on some pretty specific things that came up when I was DMing.

16. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Community + Sin City Saints + Other Space = 42 million.

That's not how much the projects lost. That was their values as assets before yahoo wrote them off. Which actually means that Yahoo tricked the government into not collecting maybe $15 million in taxation? What tax Bracket is Yahoo in?

Accounting magic.

17. JirinPanthosa

Something occurred to me when I was commenting on a similar idea in another topic.

One of the high points of season 4, in my opinion, was the focus group to retool the American version of Inspector Spacetime. Where they made a lot of changes based on Pierce's suggestion and it ruined it for Abed.

...Was that some of the writers in season 4 intentionally commenting on the changes the network made to the show? Or was that just unintended irony? Pierce doing to Inspector Spacetime what NBC did to Community that season.

18. bigdaddy

19. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

That's the same art they used to promote it on Yahoo Screen.

20. bigdaddy

Well Yahoo Screen sucked. I think there are at least 5-6 episodes more I need to watch.