Fringe 5x05 - "And Origin Story" (Discussion, Spoilers!)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Procutus, Nov 1, 2012.

?

Grade 'An Origin Story'

1. Excellent - Fringe at its best

3 vote(s)
    21.4%
  2. Very Good

10 vote(s)
    71.4%
  3. Good

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  4. Average

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Bad

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Really Bad

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Terrible Beyond Words

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

If that's the case we should have left him erased from the universes in season 3. ;)

2. TimmyWl

TimmyWl Commodore Commodore

It was good for all the bad reasons. I really didn't like Peter take that extra step in the name of his daughter. It wasn't right and according to the promotion video for next week episode he uses it to his advantage. Walter was a good father figure for Olivia. The whole fly thing was just heartbreaking to watch. Then Peter took out the scalpel.

3. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

I still can't shake the feeling that the conclusion to this story (and the season and the series) is going to lead to a HUGE reset of the universe/timeline, in which things where put back to the way they either were, or in a manner that it perhaps should've been, even prior to the events of S1. Like maybe Peter 1.0 survives in our our universe and Walter never crossed over in the first place.

4. EmoBorg

EmoBorg Commodore Commodore

How come there is no Observer females?

5. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

^

I think that's why the Observers came back - the Future needs women!

:lol: :evil: :devil:

6. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

What I don't understand is... how did the box not work? We saw it work. It clearly connected with their future, and we clearly saw the cargo being transported through the wormhole. We even saw a minor black hole effect after the antimatter was injected into it.

So... how did the Observer sabotage Peter's efforts? I just don't get it. Especially since there was only one option that would work and the other three would cause them to go up in ash.

7. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Parallel universe? Multiple Observers in different universes. They can apparently see all possible futures

If so then the Fringe group are screwed since as any scifi fan would know, there are endless possible universes.

8. Worf2DS9

Worf2DS9 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I watched a vid earlier in the week of the cast talking about how Etta's death impacts the other characters and I was stunned when I heard Georgina Haig's accent! I had no idea she was an Aussie like Anna and can seemingly shed her accent with little effort. Same as Noble when he's Walter, for that matter.

Anyway, I enjoyed the episode. Favourite scenes were the one where the Observer tells Peter about the fly, and the one between Walter and Olivia regarding her need to watch the video. I really hope Olivia gets back into the action. This season, even before Etta's death, she's seemed like a background character for the most part. I want bad-ass Olivia back again! As for Peter, that final scene was a doozy. Looked like he was going to Hulk out in that last shot.

9. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Because they have to work in a detached and unemotional manner.

I kid, I kid....

10. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well the simple answer is that it's time travel... so even if it took years for the observers in the future to rebuild, once their operation is back in order, they can still send stuff back to that specific time. At least that's what immediately came to mind when I watched it. :shrug:

11. NCC1701MF

NCC1701MF Captain Captain

Just got electricty and heat this morning at 11:30 am. I went a friend's house last night that had already gotten power back for some light and heat therapy, and to watch Fringe. Though there was no internet there.

The glyph translation is FIGHT.

12. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

That's what I assumed, too, until I took a moment and thought about it. I mean, the whole point of the final piece of the box was that if he put it in wrong, both he and the Observer would be turned to ash. Not that there were two possible means of accomplishing it without the device exploding, but only one out of four.

Then, after Peter returns, the Observer was acting like he pulled off some amazing dupe on Peter, and that by putting that last piece in the way he did, he somehow sabotaged his efforts. Even though, again, we saw that the box worked and that it did, in fact, connect with the/a future where they were sending back the cargo.

So... yeah. I'm just completely lost about what any of that was supposed to mean.

13. Mr. Adventure

Location: NJ....oh, man, hope you get everything back to normal soon.

14. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

The "you don't even know what you don't know" line reminded me of Rumsfeld's "known knowns" double-speak of yore.

I would also be interested to find out why there are no ladies in the Obserververse.

Went with marginal excellent in this one; hope the emotional payoff makes this approach worthwhile.

15. Mr. Adventure

Harder to convince the actresses to shave their heads?

Matrix agents were all guys too weren't they? I think there's just something about white guys that seems to work for that empty suit kind of figure.

16. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

Thanks for that Maria! I hope things continue to get better for you as the recovery from the storm continues. Best wishes to you.

17. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I went with a Very Good for this one. I thought the stuff with the wormhole/shipping lane and Peter scene's with the Observer were really good.