Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by JJ-R, Sep 5, 2012.

1. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't think that anyone can do it before street date (and for a while after) without risking CBS take downs.

2. Patrick O'Brien

Patrick O'Brien Captain Captain

I thought as a prime member they would give us the lower price if there was a reduction?

3. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Those other people are jumping the street date and likely would get in trouble from CBS should they find out, maybe suffering a fine or the loss of the privilege to sell CBS DVDs.

4. bullethead

That and someone supposedly ripped it all and put up a torrent.

5. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

That's why they shouldn't hold the vendors to street dates. Some of those people who are downloading it would've bought it if it was available in stores not just on torrent sites.

People who are willing to buy it get forced to wait until the release date while unscrupulous types get to download it five-six days early.

6. mswood

mswood Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Usually its closer to two or three weeks.

7. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Yeah, those poor torrent users. I'm sure the wait for a few more days is what REALLY pushed them over the edge to illegally and immorally download something rather than legally purchase it. :rolleyes:

You're kidding me, people who're going to torrent things are going to torrent it no matter what. It's not about having to wait OMG! for a specific date it's about wanting to get things for free.

8. mswood

mswood Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Some certainly but to describe that as teh default reason is rather, well uninformed.

I torrent, but I also purchase, in fact out of every friend I have I purchase mroe media then anyone.

As I stated above, I have purchased almost every single US release of the various treks, in formats of VHS, Laser Disc, DVD, Blu-Ray and itunes mpeg4.

Trust me artist get their income off of me.

And there are very few souls out there at least in the US, that have not at one time or another enjoyed pirated content.

Be it from tape recordings of LP's back in the day. Letting others ever listen to those (crime). How about every recording something on VHS back in teh day and taking and watching it in another address? At a friends, ect. Letting someone borrow something? All crimes.

Hell a mix tape given to you (back in the day) is a crime.

For myself I did it because its far faster then ripping a digital copy off the bluray (also not legal). Even as I will when they become released purchase a digital copy.

Look at TAR, it's in the last 2 years finally getting some digital and DVD releases, and its been on the air since 2001. And I have every legal copy I can of all of them (including digital copies in regular and HD).

I don't feel bad that some have been unavailable in any legal form to watch in over a decade.

Supernatural, why. Because my affiliate sucks. With sound and video going out frequently. Its also a standard cropped version stretched to 16:9. Yet I have every season on DVD and Blurya. I have each episode purchased from itunes in both regular and HD formats.

I don't feel bad about it.

9. MikeS

MikeS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

"first world problems" beautifully sums up this thread.

With regards Torrents - I agree with the poster above. To label it a crime is to misunderstand what the majority of people use it for. I too find it easier to download than "rip" something I've already purchased. I have also "tried before I buy", if I like something I will purchase it, whereas if I did it the other way the stores would not offer me a refund or exchange. Perhaps the industry needs to start fitting in with what the consumer wants rather than the opposite. I applaud bands like Coldplay that have recently offered downloads on a "pay us what you think it's worth basis", people are genuinely honest but are scared of getting their fingers burnt by unscrupulous multi-nationals. Take this season 2 blu-ray release as an example - they have made mistakes, I don't think it is worth the £60 they're asking, I would however part with £50 for it.

10. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Is this really the appropriate thread for a discussion about torrents?

11. BillJ

Which is why I said 'some'. Some will buy it, others won't. But street dates are an obsolete concept, punishing folks who want to walk into a store and pay for the product.

And WTF is up with this 'first world problems' bullshit that seems to pop up in every thread nowadays? No the above issue doesn't rank with hunger, war, poverty or illiteracy, but its an issue within the specific subject we are all discussing here. :rolleyes:

12. bullethead

I agree with a lot of the sentiment in this post, especially the use of torrents as "trying before you buy". I do that for tons of anime, because the prices Japan wants for Blu-rays with ridiculously low amounts of episodes (2-4 is common) are absurd before factoring in shipping. If there's a US release, I'll pay up if I liked the show (and the licensor is a company I feel is worthy of getting my money). With something like this, where you 1) don't get a chance to preview it and 2) are gonna wind up paying for a lot of chaff for a few good episodes, torrents are a good way for people to determine if the set is worth their money if they aren't hooked into the active discussions about the TNG remastering.

That said, I agree that street dates are becoming more and more obsolete, but they're a necessity for brick and mortar outfits like Wal-Mart and Best Buy. But I also feel that "all or nothing releases" where you have to get everything also hurt sales, especially for a show where the first two seasons aren't all that great. It would be wonderful if there was a Steam like system where you could buy the episodes and special features you want and maybe pay a little extra to get a Blu-Ray set shipped to you if your internet connection sucks, but we're nowhere near there thanks to shortsightedness of the entertainment industry.

13. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

If I remember correctly, discussing piracy at all is against the ToS of the BBS. So those who are discussing it freely may want to reign it in a bit.

14. BillJ

I'm simply discussing it in relation to street dates. :shrug:

15. BrEnDoN

BrEnDoN Lieutenant Red Shirt

I strongly disagree with this 'try before you buy' business. If you want to watch something before buying it, you have 3 options. Wait for it air on TV, rent it, or borrow it from someone. You shouldn't get to own an illegal copy of it. Let's assume you decide then not to buy it because you weren't happy with the entire set, are you going to delete your downloaded version? If there's a couple of episodes you like, you may delete the rest and just keep those episodes. Even if you do that, you still have illegal copies of something you didn't pay for...

16. bullethead

I thought posting links and enabling it was against the rules, not discussing the reasons behind it and the fact that it exists, but I could be wrong on that. If the mods say all piracy discussion is verboten, then I'll abide by their judgment.

With live action Blu-Ray rips? Hell yes. I bought the Stargate Blu-Ray and lost like 30Gb of HDD space when I ripped it at 1080p.

17. BrEnDoN

The question was if you don't buy the set, not if you do buy it...

18. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

Took me 5 seconds.

From the FAQ up top of the page...

19. BrEnDoN

Then with that I have no more to say on the subject.

20. BillJ

You know the TNG forum does have a moderator? And I'm sure when he comes along, he'll definitely let us know if we've stepped out of bounds. It's what a moderator does.

Also, there's a report button on every post. You can simply click that instead of cluttering up the forum with the rulebook trying to backseat mod. :techman: