Do you think Star Trek needed a reboot?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by The Overlord, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Nero's Shadow

Nero's Shadow Captain Captain

It's a a yes with me I've always loved Star Trek films and series and a reboot was eyebrow raiser with me and I was really happy when the reboot was TOS big fan that series, fair enough I grew up with TNG but I'm so glad we've got not one but soon to be two new Star Trek films. !!!

2. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    I don't like TNG and even I knew about it. Poor marketing? Shome mishtake shurely?

3. Nagisa Furukawa

Nagisa Furukawa Commander Red Shirt

Gabriel in Old Man Mask screaming "NOW!" in strobing light = music history.

4. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Nemesis had a $33million adverising budget, the highest of any Trek movie (at the time) since The Motion Picture.
    http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/2002/STRKX.php
    I remember lots of TV commericals (with the cool swooshing Romulan symbol) and a few behind-the-scenes specials focusing on the buggy chase.

5. Dale Sams

Dale Sams Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Don't want to go too far OT, but I feel horribly sad for Phil Collins these days. Deaf in one ear, can't drum, just wanted to sit back and drum for a full "Lamb Lies Down reunion" but Peter said 'No. Best to move forward'*....thrice divorced and seems aware that huge portions of the world see him as some kind of joke.

*Then Peter turns around and does that "Scratch my back" project.

6. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

But who's acting like that? No one - you made it up.

The operative words here are the two which I've placed in bold. The other words are subsidiary to them and may mean little or nothing to anyone who is not you.

Okay. And?

What was being argued was that more people were likely to know who Captain Kirk and Mr. Spock were, regardless of whether they'd ever actually watched that or any Star Trek series. Moving the goalposts is just moving the goalposts and scores no point.

That's sure telling 'em.

No - he's not, really. He's not bad, by any means, but there are actors whose standing in the profession is far greater than Stewart's; his "most respected" status is limited more to genre fans - for TNG primarily, but also those who liked the X-Men movies, Excalibur, the 1984 Dune, Lifeforce, etc.

You probably would have done better to stop digging before taking this sort of silly prefab slap, but eh - good thing no one's required to take any of it very seriously.

7. Dale Sams

Dale Sams Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Fwiw, I enjoy reading the 'young British' perspective on how the series, characters and actors are perceived. Not sure if everyone knows this also, but BBC plays the crap out of TNG. I'm also curious if Jim and his friends see the old Prisoner series as incoherent camp.

8. Jackson_Roykirk

Jackson_Roykirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Which of the two series did Galaxy Quest chose as the model for their homage?

9. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Mostly TOS, but there was a little bit of TNG in that there was a Wesley Crusher-type "boy genius" character. Although I suppose that could have been at least partly a homage to Will Robinson! :)

10. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

What????

He's a hugely acclaimed Shakespearean actor. He's not a mere geek icon, he commands respect from critics worldwide. He was in I, Claudius for crying out loud.

Nah, I'm a huge obsessive of old British sci-fi like Doctor Who, Blake's 7 etc.

11. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

12. DalekJim

Picard is bigger than Kirk with the younger generation. The generation that the Abrams film is clearly aimed at.

13. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Dude I grew up with TNG, I love TNG, but even before I got internet when I thought Trek, my first thought was "Kirk and Spock". Frankly, it's not aged well in my opinion. I rewatch TOS--preremastered editions--far more often than I do TNG.

14. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

It simply might be more popular in Britain because the series lead is a British actor who ended up being knighted...

No one here has acted like TNG was watched by five people, it was an unqualified hit from the first episode here in the States. But strip syndication hasn't been kind to it or the other Modern Trek series with only TNG getting any regular airplay and that is only on BBC America.

As far as how popular it is in Europe, I'm not sure it matters as two-thirds of the gross of the movies is generated in the States. Whether TOS or TNG, the majority of the money these movies make is here and here TOS is a pop-culture icon.

15. DalekJim

TNG S1 is obviously shit but S3-S5 perfects the formula started by TOS as far as I'm concerned. Then DS9 took things even further and became the best Trek.

We've been taking steps back ever since until now we're stuck with Earth Trek II: Wrath of Cumberbatch. It might be a fun, frothy, forgettable movie but we really should be getting better Trek than this.

No, but they have eaten up JJ Abrams' bullshit about Star Trek only connecting with audiences when it had Kirk and Spock in it. A poster even went on to call the 25 seasons of modern Trek an unsuccessful disaster.

If a new crew could take off and be a phenomenon in their own right then it could happen again. There are a whole generation of Trek fans who don't give a fuck about Kirk and Spock, yet could give you all the specs of the Enterprise-D.

If I were in charge I'd have had a new crew and new ship. Having an interesting story is way more important than cosy nostalgia for misty-eyed 40+ year olds.

16. nightwind1

nightwind1 Commodore Commodore

As opposed to TOS, which got 9 movies and 5 television series based on it.

17. BillJ

I'm serious in the question I'm asking: why? Why does it need to be more than that? Why does it need to be anything more than a fun romp?

18. DalekJim

Well, I prefer Star Trek when it makes me think. Just my own personal taste. I know there are fans that prefer it when it is frothy action-adventure but I'm not one of them. Any show could do that kind of stuff.

Wrong. The 4 TNG movies, DS9, VOY and ENT are all due to the success of TNG. DS9 is obviously a TNG spin-off.

19. BillJ

I went and saw the film twice opening weekend, there were more people there that were my daughters age (including my daughter) than people my age.

20. BillJ

Why must it be one or the other? I believe it was that type of thinking that sunk Modern Trek to begin with. It quit being fun.