Joel Revisits TOS....

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Joel_Kirk, May 16, 2012.

1. FormerLurker

FormerLurker Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^The explanation for even doing Errand of Mercy has long been (true or not) that due to the budget limitations that TOS had in the '60s, having an ongoing major plotline of "The War With The Klingons" would have been unfeasible. They did not have the resources to mount even one major space battle on the show, and so decided to preempt such a story by having the deus ex machina of the Organians step in to prevent it.

The conflicts with the Klingons from the movie era into TNG have been explained, often by fanon, as being possible because the Organians have stepped back from their previous position and for some unknown reason allowed the conflicts to occur. There is no official reason, on camera or off, for the change, though the advances in effects technology lend themselves to making the depiction of an all out space war much easier to accomplish.

2. kirkfan

kirkfan Commodore

Those fickle Organians!

3. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Or perhaps is was merely a threat, we witnessed their power so to you risk incurring their interference, as the years went on the threat become more distant.

4. Poltargyst

Poltargyst Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I didn't realize the Organians meant to quash all conflict between the Federation and the Klingons for all time. I thought they were just stopping that one particular battle that happened to be occuring in their space.

5. kirkfan

kirkfan Commodore

From the episode it is the only reasonable conclusion. From the episode though, and we all know how little that counts in the trek universe. Kirk forgetting that he had a brother is a remarkable example.

6. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

I don't recall Kirk ever claiming to be an only child, or only having sisters.

7. kirkfan

kirkfan Commodore

It's a well-known quote though:

From TFF:

I am sure his actual dead brother would have been happy to know that...

8. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

I've known about that quote since the film came out. Nothing in that statement means Kirk is forgetting Sam, but for some reason some fans want to read it that way.

And this discussion of Kirk's brother has nothing to do with Joel's post.

9. Marsden

Marsden Commodore Commodore

The Orgainians were very clear about their intentions:

So I really don't think they wanted to be the referee/schoolyard monitor for both Empires ad infinitum, just stop this occurance surrounding them. I would expect as years went by and the incidents stayed well away from their planet, the Organians would not have cared to interfere. It may have been painful for them to do so.

Also, I still say Kirk was arguing strictly from a "right to do something" standpoint, but in this occasion it was unfortunately to prosecute a war. In other simplistic terms I want the right to swing my fist, I don't want to punch Melakon in the nose but the Organians aren't letting me swing and I'm feeling bossed around. It's a very slight difference but there is a distinction, the right to exercise your own will as you see fit. He didn't want a war, but he also didn't like being told by a third party what to do. Notice he wouldn't consider Star Fleet a third party but a first party that gives him his orders. But, this is all my conjecture.

10. Kobayshi Maru

Kobayshi Maru Commodore Commodore

Not again! I've heard Kirk's dead brother's story so many times, I am actually sick of it.

11. Joel_Kirk

Joel_Kirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In the Joel Zone, identifying as Sexually Fluid.
    So, I do have my reviews for the final two episodes of Season 1 written, but I just need to type them up.

As we all know, when we have little side/fun projects such as these, 'life' usually takes over for awhile. In my case, it's 'day job' stuff as well as acting class stuff that has been ruling my life for awhile....but I hope to get into the swing of things.

(Truthfully, I do see myself posting my two reviews...thoughts about Season 1...then disappearing for awhile to reflect on Season 2 before I start rewatching them again).

12. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Well hello Joel. Ryan and I were just talking about you the other day. :)

13. Joel_Kirk

lol...we definitely have to meet up again when time permits. ;)

14. Maurice

Ryan and I talked about heading your way the other weekend (we were at the Pulgas Water Temple) but the traffic was looking too hideous.

15. Joel_Kirk

I'm a bit closer, in Oakland, at this point. I'm trying to get myself situated 'day job' wise.

There are two small productions that want to use me. They found me on Backstage. However, I'm not doing anything until the day job is set.

I was at the Metreon yesterday catching up on two films: Creed and Star Wars: The Force Awakens.

Maybe we can plan to meet up for the next Trek film and hang out like before? Or we can meet up before.

(Sidenote for the thread: Yes, I'm working on the review for the final season one episode. The second to last is already on my Google Drive. I should be posting those shortly followed by a reflection of the overall season).

16. Maurice

Oh, wish I'd known! Ryan and I were in Alameda looking for nookleur wessels last Monday. I'm in the EB quite often, and a film producer friend of mine lives in Oaktown.

17. Joel_Kirk

I'll PM you my contact info so we can keep in touch. ;)

The City On the Edge of Forever

Story

Kirk and Spock must track down a drugged McCoy who has not only beamed down to a random planet, but has ran into a time portal on said planet that takes him to the 1930s and changes the current timeline. Arriving a few days before McCoy in the 1930s, Kirk falls immediately for a woman who works with the homeless and who coincidentally affects the outcome of the future whether she lives or dies. Kirk must decide whether or not to save his current crush or let her die when they meet up with McCoy.

Plot Issues/Plot Holes

● There is no city on the edge of forever. The title pertains to an actual city on the brink of time in Harlan Ellison’s original script. Not too mention, the actual script involved actual drug use and more Janice Rand. Alas, it was changed to more safer fare.

The city, in regards to the episode, can be 1930s New York since the future is going to be decided there, but that might be reaching.

● When McCoy shows up, he gets better on his own. So the urgency is lost. The plot device becomes Edith Keeler’s life or death, and it's kind of predictable what is going to happen for the story to move forward.

Miscellaneous Thoughts

● Kyle is hurt again by someone who wants to use the transporter unauthorized.

● I like the way Spock refers to the 1930s as a ‘barbaric’ period particularly in Earth’s American history.

● The vagrant unknowingly killing himself was played for laughs, but it's also a bit dark since no one will miss him. At the same time, one can see it as karma for him stealing McCoy’s phaser.

● In the TNG era, the 20th century seems to be an era many are well-versed in. Yet here, McCoy doesn't know who Clark Gable is.

● A romance doesn't make sense in the timeframe of the story. It would have made more sense to have Kirk and Edith be mutually fascinated with one another, nothing more. We got the 23rd Century in danger, a romance shouldn't be in the mix.

Score

3 out of 5. Some consider this one of the best of the TOS episodes. I'm not one of them, unfortunately.

Next Up
    Operation: Exterminate! Exterminate! Exterminaaaate!
    (Actually, the episode, in all seriousness, is: Operation: Annihilate!)

18. Joel_Kirk

Operation: Annihilate!

Story:

The Enterprise crew investigates mass insanity in the Deneva System, where Kirk's brother Sam (and Sam's family) are stationed. What the crew finds are gelatinous creatures which takes control of their victims, driving them insane. While the crew tries to find a cure, Spock comes under attack by one of the creatures.

Plot Holes/Plot Issues:

I didn't note any.

Miscellaneous Thoughts:

*I always thought the yeoman who beams down with Kirk was very beautiful. I don't think her name is mentioned in the episode, but write-ups have said her name is Zahra Jamal. It is also very interesting how Zahra, being the only woman in the landing party, only carries a tricorder while the men all carry phasers. I'm sorry, but does a tricorder have hidden weapons the audience wasn't aware of? What if Kirk and 'the men' were taken down what does Yeoman Jamal have to protect herself with? Sure, she can pick up a phaser from the fallen, but it would save time to just grab it from her side...especially when the party eventually comes across the alien lifeform.

*Some background characters return. For example, Mr. Leslie appears in the transporter room and Harrison (or a crewmember that looks like Harrison) also appears in the episode.

*I felt the aliens were effective in how they look and how they operate.

*I noted the exchange between Kirk, Spock, and McCoy on how to deal with the outbreak was pretty effective as well in terms of acting and dialogue.

*Kirk was a bit of an ass in this episode. Granted he may be acting that way due to the danger his family is in as well as when Spock loses his eyesight, but he's supposed to be a leader. At least apologize for your behavior, I would think the crew would understand.

Kirk gets upset at Uhura at one point, and later gets upset with McCoy. As much as I think McCoy comes off annoying at points, I kinda felt for the guy when he doesn't answer Kirk after Spock is 'saved.' It was like: 'Jim, you beat me down because Spock is hurt due to an experiment he agreed upon...and then you want to be my friend or act like everything is cool. I don't want to talk to you right now.'

*The remaster version gives us a glimpse of a satellite used to send ultraviolet rays to the planet.

*We learn about Vulcan hearing and Vulcan eyesight, yet, like many things in Star Trek....this only is something that works for the story. We won't hear much about this later in the franchise...at least to my knowledge.

Score:
    According to my notes, I gave this episode a 3.5 out of 5. Nothing really bothered me in the episode except for the Yeoman Jamal beaming down w/o any weapon of her own. Yes, she was very beautiful and her looks probably could have served as a weapon, but she needed another type that could literally stun or vaporize.

Next Up:
    Joel's Little Reflection of Season 1

Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
  19. Joel_Kirk

Joel's Quick Reflection on Season One TOS

Looking at the show from a 2016 lens, I notice a lot of the writing, racial and gender representations. I think I'm a bit spoiled now since television has a lot of smart shows on right now...and the diversity or inclusion of three-dimensional people who are non-white straight males is obviously more prominent. It isn't perfect, but it does have me (a guy who shied away from television years prior because it didn't offer anything different) watching a lot of shows right now and trying to make room for more.

Much of what TOS did in terms of diversity was probably big at the time but pretty mild today. I'm currently watching the original Ironside (primarily to watch Barbara Anderson) and I'm gathering the inclusion of Don Mitchell's juvenile delinquent who drives Ironside around the Bay Area (and protects him at times) was probably thought of progressive, but now it's kind of iffy. I do realize they made him a cop later on in the series and they do have him speak his mind every now and then....but it's not an entirely a character that is completely questionable or a character that is completely turning me off to the show (again, I'm primarily watching because of Barbara Anderson but I probably would have stopped if the stories were iffy and certain representations were too on-the-nose offensive). The same goes for TOS.

I still feel the best episode of the season is 'Balance of Terror.' There are no cheesy moments, the writing is pretty solid, there is death (and no joking at the end of the episode after said death's have taken place) and the 'villains' are three-dimensional. 'Space Seed' may be one to watch for curiosity's sake since the Khan character has been revived twice on the big screen.

My grade for Season One may be harsh: 3.8 out of 5. It's the writer/actor in me...:biggrin:

Speaking of writing, hammy and cheesy (ham and cheese) moments, it looks like my next episode, according to Season Two production order, will be:

Catspaw
    :sigh:

20. Joel_Kirk

Catspaw

Story:

Scotty and Sulu (and yellowshirt, Jackson) are due for a check-in after scouting Pyrus VII. Jackson beams up dead. This leads the three highest ranked officers - Kirk, Spock, and McCoy - to beam down and find the co-leads who have been brainwashed by aliens.

Plot Holes/Plot Issues:

What is the motivation for Sylvia and Korob? How long have they been on Pyrus VII? Has anyone else passed through the system before? Why treat Kirk, Spock, and McCoy to dinner and rubies when they killed an officer 'just because?' Kirk excites Sylvia, but why? Has she ever come across a being that has excited her? Why does she have a 'human' name like 'Sylvia' when she doesn't seem to be aware of humans? Why does Korob have a change of heart suddenly? Who are these Old Ones and what was their plan for Sylvia and Korob on Pyrus VII? Also, McCoy mentions that Scotty and Sulu were used as 'catspaws' to lure them -Kirk, Spock, McCoy - down to the planet....even though the message was to leave Pyrus VII.

And so on.

(I can go on forever).

This is reminiscent of the lack of clear motivation of the Talosians from "The Cage."

Miscellaneous Thoughts:

• DeSalle shows up to take charge. Apparently, he's fourth in command (Kirk=>Spock=>Scotty=>Sulu=>Sulu). And, at this point, he's been in all ship colors. Something that obviously would have been really progressive is Lt. Uhura dishing out commands and possibly DeSalle at the communications station. Of course, given the era....
    • Chekov, our new edition for this season, has a horrible wig. This isn't something novel, but it has to be pointed out. (Yeah, yeah. The Beatles were big during this time as well as Davy Jones from The Monkees, but the hairstyles actually suited those guys....not so much Walter Koenig). He joins Landru with cheesy, horrible hairstyles.
    • I liked Spock's reaction to the witches and their rhyming of caution: "Very bad poetry, Captain."
    • The obvious stunt doubles are funny, and the obvious bad special effects (which even the remastered version didn't attempt to change) of the giant cat were cringe inducing.
    • Sylvia feels that because she is a woman, Kirk should want to stay with her. (Whaaa?) This adds to the lack of clarity with Sylvia and Korob pointed out above.
    • What really impresses me is that there is no cheesy joking at the end after the death of a crewmember. At the end, even though it was pointed out that Kirk, Spock, McCoy, Scotty, and Sulu made it out alive....Jackson didn't. Then the episode ends.

Score:
    2.8 out of 5. A poorly written and executed episode.

Next Up:
    Metamorphosis

Last edited: May 6, 2016