Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Obiwanshinobi, Jan 30, 2011.

1. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

Looks fine.

But then, I never understood why people complained about the Returns costume either; looked like a fairly standard variant.

2. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm not seeing any red shorts there at all. Looks like just a gold belt.

Frankly I'm liking this a LOT more than the redesigned comic book version. And while I was one of the few who liked the SR suit, I think this is an improvement over that as well.

3. Servo

Servo Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There's something very Thor-ish about the way the suit looks in that pic.

I can't say I'm a big fan of the scales, but I guess it's a minor quibble.

4. Interesting. Looks cool!

One thing I hope, though, is that the red is more of a red and not as maroon as it looks in this photo - it's a darkly lit picture so I think that might have something to do with it. I feel like part of the "Superman feel" is having flashy red, and not being so ashamed you have to darken up all the colors.

Pretty exciting to see this developing though. Here's hoping Zach Snyder can outdo himself (I'm not the biggest fan).

5. davejames

It definitely looks a lot more red than Routh's. And plus, this is Snyder we're talking about. He's all about big, bold comic book colors in his movies.

6. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

The scales/texture to the S shield would be my only complaint.

I have read that this costume doesn't have the rd undies on the outside, anyone know if that is true?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2011
  7. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, one can only hope that it is.

For the hell of it I upped the saturation. Meh:

[​IMG]

8. Servo

Servo Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I kind of like the red undies. They break the costume up instead of it looking like a big blue onesie.

9. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

That cape looks more blood red than the typical bright red of the Reeves costume and I have to say I actually like it!

10. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

11. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

Though the studio put out this picture, I don't think this will be a good representation of the filmed version. Production has not even started yet, but here they are showing some "action scene" to us and then toning all the colors down.

I equate this photo with every damn "first look" photo we ever get of a superhero or iconic character on Entertainment Weekly, because they are always bad overly-manipulated teases. Ill wait a while before seeing a real pic.

12. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

No armor. Superman's not about going into war. He wears his heritage.

[​IMG]

It doesn't look like DC reboot costume but looks modern and classic at the same time

13. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

With all of the talk about the costume (understandable), there has been little talk about the press release that came with it. It sheds some light on the previously unknown characters in the movie:

Obviously we knew that Shannon was Zod and that Traue was Faora but I didn't know that she was his partner (maybe some of you more familiar with the comics did). And while it had been previously confirmed that Meloni had a military rank, I remember some debate as to whether he would be General Lane or would be a Kryptonian soldier. Now it seems he's neither.

14. davejames

Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if that was just a CG background he's standing in front of (especially knowing Snyder).

But hey, at least the first shot is actually a pretty BADASS one. Unlike the utterly weak one of Routh standing on that ledge. As much as I liked SR, the publicity shots they created for it had to be some of the lamest and cheapest looking ones I've ever seen.

15. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

I was going to say the same thing, it looks like Thor's.

I'm not sure how I feel about the texture either. It also seems dark and dirty, I would prefer something a little brighter. This looks a little drab. But, then, it might be the lighting.

I just don't know why every superhero costume lately needs the same texture....

16. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Probably the whole 3D craze. They want to add some semblance of texture, which probably doesn't even add anything anyways.

17. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff Intrepid Explorer Administrator

No giant inline images, please, especially from webspace that isn't yours.

Thank you. :)

I think he looks pretty good as Superman.

18. AviTrek

AviTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It wouldn't surprise you if it's a CG background? Look at it? It's obviously a CG background. And a pretty fake looking one at that. In fact, looking at the bottom of the cape, I think that might be CGI too. It makes me wonder if the whole thing is CGI outside of his face.

19. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I love the costume. Think it looks pretty good. I had a feeling that it would be out soon but not this soon!

20. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

I was going to say the same thing about the "S" shield. The 1941 version was also used, albet slightly altered for the Earth-2 Superman, which Cavill's shield highly resembles.

I love the suit and think the movie designers did a helluv a better job than those who designed the DC reboot costume. Although, I would've liked the shield to be ingrained into the fabric of the suit, much like the latest Spidey movie costume's logo, than raised. But that's a rather small preference.