Was Voyager designed by Sanford and Son?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by sayonara maru, Apr 4, 2013.

1. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

Well I'm only going by extrapolation. There was an Intrepid class (sometimes two) almost always docked at the station whenever there was an EXT. shot. I assume one is Bellerophon since that's Ross's ship. But I also remember reading somewhere, that Intrepid was also there. And for all I know, it was in a novel that I read it.

2. Saito S

Saito S Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I thought it was mostly one of the horrid kitbashes - one that used Intrepid parts (among other things of course) - that showed up during those DS9 establishing shots. I don't remember seeing actual Intrepids. I could be wrong, though, and whether or not an Intrepid was actually SEEN in the background vs. just kitbashes, I agree that it would make sense for the Bellerophon to be one of the ships stationed at - or at least near - DS9 during the war. In arguments past on these boards, I've maintained that I never bought the idea of the Intrepid being a decidedly combat-oriented ship, but that it would be invaluable during the Dominion War as a scout or courier. Could be that the Bellerophon serves in that function for the Bajor sector's standing fleet, and Ross tapped it for that mission since it's fast, but also has enough amenities to ferry VIPs.

3. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

This logic seems similar to suggesting that Picard was almost always on duty because we almost always saw him on the bridge.

4. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

But that was already done on TNG, it has nothing to do with Voyager specifically.

5. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

It means that Paris, or whichever of his minions is at the helm, was doing the job of two people.

6. NCC-1701-B

NCC-1701-B Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

well it's obvious that new starship design is more mechanised, and has made the position of a navigator redundant :P Happens everywhere, doesn't it? Like airliners don't need a flight engineer anymore.

7. Guy Gardener

So if this is just a software upgrade... What do they do with the extra seat on the bridge of all the older ships after they get the patch?

8. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Two betazoids!

9. NCC-1701-B

NCC-1701-B Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well we've seen that starships seem to be pretty modular, and I bet under the floor there are plenty of plug sockets for consoles. So if a starship needs to be upgraded, they could easily bring in the new console and plug it in.

Or hire an extra betazoid so we have 2 people stating the obvious every time we meet someone!

10. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Pft, if you notice, Janeway will take -every- opportunity to stand at a higher elevation than the person she's talking with. :p

11. Guy Gardener

Lets say it took 2 or 3 years to take the Intrepid Class from blue print to first launch... And they seating, placing the Captain and the First officer on an even standing is because of Robert Maxwell's coup.

but here's the problem.

In theory this means that a rational First officer will feel the gravitas to stand up his or her Captain because they are not on a fricking pedestal, yet in practice that just means that a psycho like Max Burke can talk a relatively decent bloke into becoming a mass murderer because his first officers seat doesn't look like it belongs to a 7 year old.

Hells.

On Kirk's Enterprise the XO didn't even get his or her own chair, the job just fell to next highest ranked officer who actually already had a full time job to get sorted as well, and how was the Chief Engineer supposed to do his job in engineering if his "hobby" forced him into a bridge posting that's only job is to hold the Captains hand and say "Shields Up!"

12. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

You really think TNG sets look better than Voyager's? You must love 80's hotels. TNG looks dated and pretty bad, especially the bridge. The Voyager sets could still pass for a show made today.

Although yes, the moving warp nacelles were pointless and goofy (and I believe added so the toys would have a cool moving feature) and externally, Voyager was no looker. This early prototype looked far better, IMO:
    [​IMG]

13. Guy Gardener

TNG through 80s eyes looked like a luxury 80s hotel.

Voyager through 90s eyes looked spartan...

Wow.

I just repeated the OP.

'Must be the truth then.

14. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

I first saw that model in Stephen Poe's book, and wished they had used it instead. I think it was Sternbach's original concept before Berman started fiddling with it and wanting changes.

15. sayonara maru

sayonara maru Lieutenant

I will partially agree with you. I can understand your point from a "Star Trek" / storyline reasoning. My point is more in the context of the viewer.

From the viewer's perspective, Voyager looks very very bland and cheap. Minimalist it may be but i dont remember data or geordi's consoles ever exploding in their faces..(God .. can you imagine the trauma poor wesley might have suffered if it happend to him?)

Tuvoks station and Harry's station are practically identical just on opposite ends of the bridge. The bridge also looks so... cramped.

And as soon as the inertial dampeners fail (which usually happend as soon as the warp drive stopped responding) poor tommy ends up ROLLING in any which direction because some slobbering idiot forgot to bolt his chair to the floor! He's the pilot!!! AUUURGH!!

Your comment about the comparison to yesterdays enterprise sort of proves my point. It was YESTERDAYS enterprise. As advanced as voyager is supposed to be with its living circuitry and whatnot, it still looks like it was built at the Sanford and Son shipyards... YESTERDAY

16. sayonara maru

sayonara maru Lieutenant

If i am not mistaken, The defiant class was the one built to be a mini Galaxy class ship. And the defiant was in a word... "dope"

17. sayonara maru

sayonara maru Lieutenant

The captain technically is always on duty. I read somewhere that the captain therefore doesn't have a full duty shift like other officers.

18. Guy Gardener

I have only ever seen one other person ever on this board do that ever.

EVER.

Put the Quote AFTER the text block talking about the Quote.

Just once.

Last week.

19. sayonara maru

sayonara maru Lieutenant

Tom is the navigator. If you recall, data was the ships operations officer (that was what his station was devoted to. A position which worf held briefly)

They just moved the operations position to the rear of the bridge.

20. sayonara maru

sayonara maru Lieutenant

Mentioned this already but no, tom was just doing the same job that wesley/geordi and ensign ro performed. The second position that data held was the operations console. I also believe this was the position that ensign Chekov held on the Enterprise A