Ongoing Community Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Admiral_Young, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

I was able to finally watch the first episode on my 360 with no problems, but the second episode wouldn't play. So I went on the net and watched it with minimal issues (thought bigdaddy is right, the ads can be rather intrusive. Harmon has set up his own ad breaks, you think Yahoo would time their ads with those, but whatever).

The first episode felt really weird to me. I dunno, I enjoyed it and will go back and watch it, but I think like the season opener of Season 5 it was trying to do too much at once.

I loved loved loved the second episode though! Plenty of laugh out loud moments and I loved meeting Britta's parents (and who would have ever thought we'd see Community film in a residential neighborhood, lol).

Now that we got the introductions of both the new characters out of the way, I hope we can settle down to some fun old fashioned Community.

2. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

The picture and streaming quality were fine for me but I got the random commercial interruptions.

I don't know if these two episodes quite worked. Every time I glance Frankie, for a moment I see Cecily Strong. And while the idea of adding a completely sane character free of quirks to the cast is interesting it hasn't led to many good moments yet.

Meeting Britta's parents felt like something from season four, and I can't help but think they would have done better with the VR parody any other season.

I feel like the ideas are there but the execution is not.

3. Photoman15

Photoman15 Commodore Commodore

Whenever I see Frankie, I'm waiting for her to name the unSub.

4. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

She'll always be Andy's boss from 'Andy Richter Controls the Universes" to me. Though I did love her on Criminal Minds as well.

Update: I rewatched the first episode again. It plays so much better the second time around. I think I was just having to acclimate to all the changes that it felt weird the first time. Plus the "new" Cafeteria set definitely looks different than the one they had when the was on NBC (and I'm not just talking about the pillars.

I love the ending with Garret and the ominous music. I hope that's leading somewhere.

Also, as much as I love grounded 'Community' and I know a lot of people hate it when the show goes too far out there, I can't wait for the first crazy episode of this season. My favorite (or at least one of them) episodes from Season 5 is the ass crack bandit episode and I can't wait to see an episode along those lines again. I know I know, we've only seen 2 episodes out of a 13 episode season, we still have plenty more to see.

5. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

I watched them on my iPad this morning and then again via the screen app on my 360 - both times flawless with beautiful picture and no issues. We have Comcast but usually have no problems w/ streaming video, though.

Enjoyed both episodes - Community is back. I'm happy.

6. Masiral

Masiral Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I watched both episodes on a laptop hooked up to the TV, and had no streaming problems or commercials.

Pretty good episodes, can't wait for more.

"And Jesus wept, for there were no more worlds left to conquer!"

7. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

The Yahoo Screen app for the 360 is extremely finicky. I was able to get it to work for my second viewing of the second episode though. When it works it works great and is my preferred way to watch the show.

Hopefully by next week Yahoo can get the kinks worked out to give us a better viewing experience.

8. JirinPanthosa

One of the great things about Community is that it's equally comfortable being totally grounded and being totally silly. But I think in the premiere Harmon was trying too hard to make that comment and ended up meta-ing circles around himself.

I also think the show is suffering from talent loss more this season than last. Last season Jonathan Banks managed to awesome the void left by Troy and Pierce. Now there's nobody like him this season and Troy, Shirley and Pierce are much more missed. For example, that virtual reality headset story was clearly a Pierce sort of story more than a Dean sort of story.

9. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

I don't know, I think Frankie is a great addition to the cast. She slid right in perfectly in the premiere and then by the second episode she felt like part of the gang. Too early to tell on Kieth David's character, but I think he'll be just fine too.

10. AgentCoop

AgentCoop Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah, I was really worried about how the cast departures would affect the show this season, but Paget Brewster and Keith David seem like really strong additions to the cast.

11. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thank you, "Community". Thank you for reminding me it's possible to genuinely laugh out loud at an American sitcom. To be fair, we laughed our asses off with "Enlisted", may that sitcom rest in peace. But your cancellation has allowed the legend of Keith David to join Community. So there is that.

Yvette Nicole Brown has been on Talking Dead regularly, but I really hadn't noticed her weight loss until now. Good on her. And with all these callbacks to previous episodes and characters (Fat Neal is on CSI Cyber now, but I really don't see that lasting, so I hope to see him back soon too), it's pretty clear that the show really plays to its fan base as a strength.

Looking forward to much, much more!

Mark

12. JirinPanthosa

Also I think I managed to put my finger on something that's bothering me about these two episodes.

They evolved Jeff as a character beyond his central defining characteristic, his aggressive shallow cynicism. But they didn't replace it with any other strong personality traits that drive conflict. So at the same time they toned down all the characters' rough edges and pulled them toward the 'Normal' center they introduce a new character whose thing is that she's the normal one.

They introduce a normal character to oppose the dark, conflicted characters at the same moment the other characters became much less conflicted.

13. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Abed and Frankie up a tree, k-i-s-s-i-n-g!

:)

I AM NOT THE ONLY ONE who saw that.

14. JirinPanthosa

A completely normal person who likes being around crazy people? Match made in heaven. :)

15. FFunctionalData

FFunctionalData Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Loved these new eps

16. Guy Gardener

Not worth it's own thread, but I'm watching another Yahoo Screens show.

"Sin City Saints".

Sports comedy (basketball). Mildly incompetent sociopaths taking care of business.

Malin Akerman (irl) seems like America's sweetheart, but I don't get it.

17. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

I didn't realize it started already. Any good? I thought the previews looked interesting.

Also, to stay on topic, tomorrow's the shows 100th episode. Not bad for a show that was cancelled as of last May ;)

18. Guy Gardener

It's okay. Funny. I'd compare it to Mr Sunshine.

8 episodes were available to me this morning, I've seen 6 of them.

A couple of the producers were attached to Party Down, so I expected more.

19. AgentCoop

AgentCoop Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Watched a new episode of Community at 6:00 AM while I ate breakfast. Man, that's a treat. Another great episode, too. If the show stays this strong I'll be ranking Season Six alongside Two and Three as my favorites.

20. Guy Gardener

Oh, Ruffles, you scamp. :D

Frankie has the mind of a fembot, inside the body of a fembot.

Coincidence?