Why no Maquis flashbacks?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by JirinPanthosa, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Suder's telepathy didn't work. He said so. He couldn't even read emotions, let alone actual thoughts - from himself or others.

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I knew he didn't use his telepathy in the story, but I just assumed the writer randomly picked a species without remembering that the bugger had been telepathic... Suder is mentioned by kashaak in Counterpoint as someone they would like to detain which seems off if he's a telepathic eunuch.

Fuck me.

I WAS RIGHT(ish)!

The authors (Sussman and Piller), from the text provided above, thought that Betazoids were ONLY Empaths, and not just telepaths but more impressive telepaths than silly old Vulcans, because all Dee is, is an empath, but Dee is an empath because she's a gimp hobbled by her pathetic human dna. After another generation slumming it with homosapien, Her children with Riker probably won't even be able to talk with their mouths

This entire episode was flawed from the root.

Although after watching all that profiling on Criminal Minds for the last decade, comparing empathic inadequacy with sexual inadequacy is interesting to say the least, but I was already aware that was going on.

On a world of telepaths he had to be over compensating for his deficiencies with reading Micro exspressions (I miss lie to me.) and that Patrick Jane mentalist claptrap, like with how deaf people learn to read lips.

3. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Maybe the Maquis were the most boring terrorists ever because of a refusal to portray them as terrorists.

It's absolutely true the Maquis rebellion has no application in the DQ, it's absolutely rational for them to work with the Starfleet crew. But, I would think the 'Stopping at every nebula to do scientific research' and the general self sacrifice on principle would piss them off more than it did.

If it was UPN who prevented them from having conflict between Maquis and Starfleet, maybe I've been too hard on Berman all this years, and I really should be blaming UPN. It sounds like all of Voyager's failures were due to the false assumption that not taking risks out of fear that you might rub people the wrong way would lead to long term higher ratings.

4. Guy Gardener

How many dozen Cardassian spinal column necklaces do you think Chell has made?

5. Mr. Laser Beam

Kashyk might not have known that Suder's telepathy didn't work. Or if Janeway told him, he probably didn't believe her.

6. Guy Gardener

A dissection of Suders brain could reveal a more efficient method of mentally castrating working telepaths.

7. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

But if you hate them you don't want to castrate them and let them exist in your society, you want them punished with your ill will.

8. Mr. Laser Beam

IIRC, Kashyk's race didn't want telepaths living among them at all, they put them in prison camps.

9. Guy Gardener

I'm sure if the Klan could make black people white skinned, that they would embrace them with open arms... And if Jews convert, accepting Jesus Christ as their personal saviour, that all is forgiven.

That's called logic.

10. Guy Gardener

Because mundanes are their youtube.

Even without a massive evil plot, they're critiquing your entire sexual history in review... And then they start mentally-photshopping your sex exploits on top of the fat guy 2 cubicles over and beam those conflated thought constructs to all their teep buddies.

11. teacake

And that's why that's not on the agenda of the Klan.

12. Guy Gardener

[​IMG]

...But you should be more than aware that that was the agenda of the Australian Government in the 1920s. Taking mixed race children from their Aboriginal parents, adopting these children to white families who would guarantee that their new children would only marry white suitors when they came of age, so that three or four generations down the line, no one would ever remember that black people and white people were sexually intercompatiable.

13. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

He doesn't really seem the 'fight for freedom' type, does he? How do we think he ended up in the Maquis anyway? I reckon it was a prank his drinking buddies played on him after one night of wild partying. He woke up the next day with a splitting hangover and learning that he's been signed up to Chuckles' motley crew of badass terrorists.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  14. Guy Gardener

Have you seen Dexter?

Chell could be just like Dexter, trying to be Normal but overcompensating for his inner sociopath, and coming off as a bit of a dick.

15. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

All of the second episode should have been a flashback.

Think about it.

They wanted everyone in a Starfleet uniform at the end of "Caretaker". Fine. Janeway says that she and Chuckles talked it over, and agreed to that. A fitting ending to the pilot, with the course set for the series' future.

Still, while said conversation wouldn't have fit in that ep, doesn't mean it wouldn't be interesting to see. Negotations and all. Tensions and stuff.

So, the whole second ep could have taken place between the destruction of the array and that speech.

16. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Why no flashbacks?

umm..because Lost hadn't aired yet, and made Flahsbacks a cool storytelling technique?

because Berman & Company weren't veyr creative?

17. Guy Gardener

Highlander had great flash backs but why would Berman watch Canadian television?

The B's didn't have to be creative.

They had a perfect model.

Creativity would have pissed off their audience.

If they just kept making TNG they would have been fine.

18. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

They did flashbacks during DS9 and TNG and Braga was all for doing Season 4 as Year of Hell. I'm guessing that UPN's "no/minimal continuity, planet/alien of the week" mandate probably made the writers less inclined to explore the Maquis.

19. Guy Gardener

If you can't see the festering puss under the surface, then there is no festering puss under the surface.

20. teacake

It's just really really deep.