Is TOS the best sci-fi TV American series until 1985?

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Grant, Oct 17, 2012.

1. xortex

xortex Commodore Commodore

It was an important plot point as it showed that Mitchell wasn't perfect and all knowing. Kirk might have lied to him about his middle name. TOS OTOH was perfect.

I don't know how a retcon can be a reimagining, but with new people come new designs and even great designs like Ralph McQuarries' Next Phase/ Planet of Titans enterprise were trashed due to greed. It should have been used in TNG for goodness sake. Good writers are also dumped by mediocre witers and producers ganging up on them too so it's no surprise that it's all about money, power, control and politics. What isn't?
    Which is why it'll never be done again in any medium because studio interference will steer it into the coral reefs again or over a cliff. The only way it could be done again is through an adaptaion of a different work that is turned into Star Trek by it's creator.

2. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

It wasn't a plot point. Kirk's middle initial hadn't even been established prior to filming the second pilot. Kirk lying to Mitchell would also be a rationalization.

Adapting a different work into a Star Trek property is the best way to go????? Uh, no. Star Trek has it own look, feel touchstones. Its doesn't need to be shoe horned in a different property to work.

3. xortex

xortex Commodore Commodore

I disagree.

4. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I'm not surprised and a bit glad.