So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by captcalhoun, Dec 22, 2011.

1. EnriqueH

EnriqueH Commodore Commodore

Do those stories take place before or after "Ex Machina"?

I guess I can check the book themselves when I get home, but I figure I ask for conversation's sake.

2. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

^I've read both of those stories, so I'll comment (not that I mean to steal Christopher's thunder).

The Darkness Drops Again begins post-TMP (and post-Ex Machina) and continues until 2282 (or 2284 if you count the epilogue), and incorporates concepts such as Kirk's eventual return to the admiralty and resignation from Starfleet before TWOK (as mentioned in Generations), Spock's promotion to captain, and Chekov's transfer to Reliant.

Forgotten History
    takes place during TOS and includes the period between TOS and TMP, as well as events from the first 1-2 years post-TMP (and events from the 24th century).

--Sran

3. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

I was going to get back into WarDilmore's Seekers novel, but I've changed my mind. I just got my copy of Greg Cox's TOS: Foul Deeds Will Rise, and was checking it out, and can't put it down. Gonna read it instead :techman:

4. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Glad you're enjoying it!

5. dstyer

dstyer Commander Red Shirt

OK, I'm confuselated . . . I didn't think this book was due out for another 9 days or so . . .

6. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

^There are ways of getting copies ahead of time.

--Sran

7. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The release date is only really set in stone for the eBooks. The first paper books usually start to shop up in the wild by the middle of the month.

8. apollo1984

apollo1984 Commander Red Shirt

Finally got past Titan's Over a Torrent Sea, I don't know why but it was a long slog (took about 2 weeks of on/off reading) started Voyagers unworthy and finished it in about a day and half (might have helped that it covered a weekend and that I enjoyed it). Just downloaded Children of the storm to my kindle yesterday but not read any of it yet.

9. Greg Cox

Exactly. Books aren't like movies or albums. Except for really high-profile items like, say, a new Harry Potter novel, books don't really have clear-cut release dates. The books go on sale when the truck from the warehouse drops them off at the store and some clerk gets around to shelving them . . ..

10. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Read Jeremy Dyson's The Haunted Book- a lovely pastiche of *several* types of ghost story collection, which is a fantastic read for those of us who are fans of both the nonfiction travelogue of haunted places type of book, and different eras of fictional anthology.

It also takes a somewhat meta tone, but this is less successful, as the very end meta part just somewhat jumps the shark, changing genre, and actually strangely holds back from going ahead with what it first starts to imply. It also, unfortunately comes over as frankly intrusive, with a bit too much of a blatant message.

Still, apart from that, it's great - the Tetherdown Lock story, and the two 1907-era stories are by far and away the best, and in fact would make great TV adaptations.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2014
  11. Etoile

Etoile Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

John Scalzi's "Redshirts" - which I would have already finished if I wasn't in grad school, sigh. I am building up a backlog of books I have purchased, downloaded to my Kindle, and found no time to read...

12. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just finished reading Star trek Unspoken truths by Margaret Bonnano . I really liked the Spy versus spy intrigue with the Vulcan V'Shar agents and Tal'shiar spy network on Vulcan with Saavik being caught in the middle of a dangerous chessmatch with the spies this is a well written novel and I thought it was good story. I plan on reading Greg Cox Q miniseries next.

13. JD5000

JD5000 Captain Captain

I'm re-reading KRAD's 'Q&A'. It's an excellent novel, I appreciate it more with a hundred or so novels picked up and put down in between now and the last time I read it...it was one of the first I read at the beginning of my Trek Lit kick, I think I appreciate it more now after reading some 'average' novels.

Nothing against the 'average' novels...I appreciate the entertainment provided. I read 'Here There Be Dragons' by John Peel before deciding to do some re-reading, which is an example of an 'average' novel. I would describe that novel as a 'light-hearted romp' and although I didn't think the writing was awesome, it was a thoroughly entertaining story. Novels like 'Q&A' just have a lot more depth and character/story development while being just as enjoyable to read. It helps that I read 'Death In Winter' by Michael Jan Friedman just a couple books back. Re-reads of 'Debtor's Planet' by W.R. Thompson and 'Reunion' by MJF in between.

14. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just posted my review of the final book in the excellent Terok Nor trilogy, Raise the Dawn by S.D. Perry & Britta Dennison.

Today I finished 1982 by Jian Ghomeshi. I'm currently reading S.D. Perry's Deep Space Nine: Unity, and eagerly awaiting Greg Cox's Foul Deeds Will Rise!

15. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I started reading Star Trek Tng Resistance by J.M. Dillard. I'm also reading Blowblack by Brad Thor.It's a really long story over 600 pages long.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2014
  16. Greg Cox

Working my way through an omnibus of the STAR TREK: EARLY VOYAGES comic.

17. Cap'n Crunch

Cap'n Crunch Captain Captain

I finished Star Trek: Section 31: Disavowed by David Mack.

I'm now reading Halo: Ghosts of Onyx by Eric Nylund.

18. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

I just finished Greg Cox's Foul Deeds Will Rise, and have decided to check out Jeff Lemire's new Teen Titans Earth One original graphic novel that was released the other day. After that I'll dive back into WarDilmore's Seekers novel :)

19. Gul Re'jal

Gul Re'jal Commodore Commodore

Gul Re'jal is suspecting she's on the wrong space
    Continuing my re-read of "A Time To...", currently on "A Time to Love".

20. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

Again reading the rest of an anthology I have a story in, in this case Out of Tune, edited by Jonathan Maberry, and featuring stories based on old ballads. (My story is based on "The Mermaid.")