Conan The Barbarian(2011) -- Discussion/Grading ***Spoilers***

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Cmndr J Crichton, Aug 18, 2011.

?

Did Conan Meet Expections?

1. A - See it right now!!

3 vote(s)
    9.7%
  2. B - Worth a matinee

9 vote(s)
    29.0%
  3. c - Worth a second run theater watch

11 vote(s)
    35.5%
  4. D - Below Conan the Destroyer and Red Sonya

5 vote(s)
    16.1%
  5. F - Wait, is this a Deathstalker remake?

3 vote(s)
    9.7%
  1. Cmndr J Crichton

Cmndr J Crichton Commodore Commodore

[​IMG]

Starring -- Jason Mamoa, Stephen Lang. Rose McGowan, Ron Pearlman
    Music by -- Tyler Bates
    Directed by -- Marcus Nispel

-----------------------------------------RELEASES ON AUGUST 18TH 2011----------------------------------------------------

Im still on the fence about this. Two elements that made the original, Arnold Schwarzenegger, and Basil Poledorus, are not present. I still however, may give this one a matinee this weekend!

2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think at this rate my seeing it will depend on the reactions it gets from the majority here.

3. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

The critics haven't been nice to it. Considering that I don't even care for the Arnold version, I think I'll pass.

4. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

What are you talking about? The first Conan was a classic!

5. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I saw it this past year, and really didn't get the appeal. It's a silly movie with a lot of body-builders who can't act and James Earl Jones, who of course out-acts them all.

6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Meh, this didn't really look like a critics kind of movie anyways.

7. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Hope it bears more resemblance to the REH source material.

8. Shurik

Shurik Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The movie has Jason Momoa and Ron Perlman, it can't be that bad. I'll probably see it today or in very near future.

9. Shurik

Shurik Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I've seen it, I'd give it 3/5.

The good - I liked Jason Momoa as Conan more than Arnie in the same role. Stephen Lang and the actress who played his daughter were good villains. The action was pretty good when you could figure out what was happening. The movie looked epic enough. The bodycount was at least several hundreds.

The bad - 3D is completely unnecessary. Some of the fight scenes were shot in a very chaotic manner and it was very hard to keep track of what was going on. There wasn't enough Ron Perlman.

All in all - I went to the movie expecting a decent epic adventure featuring a guy with a sword killing bad guys. I got what I came for.

10. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Looks like it'll be a fun rental when it's on DVD, but I'm not about to rush out to a theater to see it.

11. Uxi

Uxi Commander Red Shirt

Mostly here.

I love the Barbarian, laugh and roll my eyes at the Destroyer and cringe at Red Sonja. Yeah yeah, not really a Conan movie, but still. :D

12. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I want to see it, but not in 3D. If I can't see it in theatre in 2D then I'll wait for the rental.

13. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    I saw a free preview screening a couple nights ago. (Surprisingly, passes for the preview screening were plentiful. I remember last year when they were giving out free passes for Resident Evil: Afterlife and people were lining up 3 hours beforehand. This time, I get there half an hour early and there's only 5 other people waiting.)

I give it a C+. Of all the big summer movies this year, I'd rank it 4th (below Captain America, Thor, & X-Men but slightly above Rise of the Planet of the Apes & Transformers).

Jason Momoa does a great job playing a kick-ass, stoic barbarian.

I really liked Rachel Nichols (the green chick from Star Trek (2009)) as the leading lady. She needs to be in more things. She's just fun.

This movie isn't necessary in 3-D, but then, most aren't. (The only worthwhile 3-D movies I've ever seen are Avatar, Transformers: Dark of the Moon, & Tron Legacy.) In some places in fact, it's far too gruesome, like in Conan's birth scene. Bloody, naked newborns are not high on my list of things to see in 3-D.

But as the movie gets progressively less bloody, I find it ultimately settles into a very fun romp.

I'd certainly recommend this one over either of the Arnold Schwarzenegger Conan movies. Those both bore me to sleep.

Random thought: The prologue for this film is narrated by Morgan Freeman. Why didn't they get James Earl Jones?

14. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Folks want to see a poll along with the discussion. So because this thread cannot be (or hasn't been) modified to include a poll I've started another thread with a poll.

Here.

15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm shocked nobody has said that, because that would have been great. He was the villain in the first Arnold movie, right?

16. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

I watched the Arnold version and was bored to tears. Even though this isn't getting rave reviews I will probably rent it when it comes out on DVD.

17. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Since money is tight, I'm gonna be waiting until this comes to Netflix.

18. Cmndr J Crichton

Cmndr J Crichton Commodore Commodore

Done, and done!!!

19. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Coolness, thanks Cmndr. :techman:

Haven't had a chance to see this yet, I might get a chance tomorrow night. If not, I'll have to wait until after the weekend.

20. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

saw yesterday fantastic movie. and I thought it was better than the origianl. plenty vionlence sex and nudity all way around.