X-MEN: FIRST CLASS - Grading+Discussion **SPOILERS!**

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by StarTrek1701, May 31, 2011.

?

How Much Did You Enjoy X-MEN: FIRST CLASS?

Poll closed Oct 28, 2011.
  1. A+ (Great Movie!)

73 vote(s)
    35.6%
  2. A (Entertained a lot!)

93 vote(s)
    45.4%
  3. B (Was okay, not bad)

30 vote(s)
    14.6%
  4. C (Below expectations)

6 vote(s)
    2.9%
  5. D (Very bad)

2 vote(s)
    1.0%
  6. F (Intolerable, want money back)

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  1. Aeolusdallas

Aeolusdallas Captain Captain

No people's opinions are not likely to change. Why? Because it truly is a great movie.

2. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

I've seen the film three times and I doubt my opinion will change. I absolutely loved this film, and I will likely continue to love the film even more with repeat viewings. :techman:

3. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I think the movie is great.

4. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I'm fairly certain I've agreed with everything you've said so far.

The more I think about this movie, the more disappointing it becomes.

5. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Stop thinking. Worked for "Star Trek".

6. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Yes, because a person's last name has everything to do with their personailty. :wtf:

7. Aeolusdallas

Aeolusdallas Captain Captain

In comic books.......

8. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

I was generalizing. She was always pretty flat in her delivery in the comics (as much as that statement doesn't quite make sense). She always stated things very matter-of-factly, much like she does in the film.

9. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sigh. Magneto was hell bent on exacting revenge against Nazi's. Shaw was a Nazi. It is because of the Nazi ideology that Magneto turns his back against humanity in the first place. He lumps all of humanity in that group because of his experience. This is consistent with his portrayal through the comics as well. My opinion will not change on the film. It's unfortunate those of you who didn't like it feel that way. I can't wait for the DVD.

10. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

I've grown a bit tired of nominative determinism myself.

No more fat guys named Piggott or Porkins... :rolleyes:

11. Skellington

Skellington Part-time poltergeist Rear Admiral

Then there were certain Bond girls...

12. KB24

KB24 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

And I was looking for a way to post this banner one of my friends made! Thanks Scrawny! ;)

[​IMG]

13. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

I think that's clearly explained. Quite possibly one of the most explained things. To not get that would require missing a good chunk of the movie. The clearest aspect is in the conversation between them before battle and Magneto's motivations. But, for the more subtle aspect, it's quite clear that Shaw and Magneto are similar in goals and ideals (although I think Magneto has more humanity, which is why Professor X never truly abandons him). That's why, as soon as Shaw is dead, he turns to those he had just been fighting and offers to let them join him. You can even see it symbolically with him putting on the helmet Shaw was just wearing (although that was probably more for plot reasons to weaken Xavier).

In the original trilogy, they remained friends even when fighting. There's no reason to believe this isn't the case here either. Clearly, even though they are on opposite sides, they parted amicably. Charles wouldn't have told Raven to go with Erik if this weren't the case.

14. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

after seeing Erik hunting down Nazis at the very beginning of the movie, i'd be for Fassbender taking over as Bond once Craig is done.

15. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think what changed is how we now define "great".

16. KB24

KB24 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I thought he was going to toss his hat in that Argentinian Bar, I swear! And the storming Shaw's yacht had me so thinking License to Kill.

Seriously though I think the Bond like style to the film is what sets it apart. Bond is a real world agent just doing dashing things and having sometimes fantastic gadgets. This was a movie about people who happen to be mutants that have super powers. As opposed to you know Michael Bay where it is, 'how cool and over the top can I make this' first.

I have to catch up in the thread. Who gave the C and Ds?

17. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

*raises hands* I gave it a C. I was tremendously disappointed.

18. archeryguy1701

archeryguy1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm giving it an A. I went in not really liking what I had seen beforehand, but I wanted to give it a shot since I enjoyed the other X-movies. I was very pleasently surprised. It was a very entertaining movie. Xavier was well played and I loved the guy who did Magneto. Kevin Bacon was very good as Shaw. It was kind of interesting to see the dynamic between Xavier and Erik. It added another aspect of the various relationships when Xavier was in favor of Beast and Mystique taking the "cure" while Erik was pushing more for the, "We should be accepted as we are," point. Can't say I cared much for the kids though. They admittedly kind of annoyed me. Overall, a very entertaining movie.
    I think you're putting a bit too much stock into Shaw being a mutant. Yes, the main person he's chasing is a mutant, but he was tortured at the hands of Nazis for being a Jew, he was tortured and harassed by Nazis and likely other people for being a mutant. He even talked about it several times through the movie- the fact that people don't and likely won't accept them and having the humans betray them in the end proved his point. Hell, he didn't even know he was chasing a mutant (or that there were other mutants) until he ran into Xavier.

19. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

With the wet suit I thought "Goldfinger"

Direct homage to Goldfinger with one to two scene in "First Class"

[​IMG]

We just talked about that at superherohype

http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=346738&page=15

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have a feeling Fassbender will go the way of Clive Owen and get passed over for someone unknown.

Fassbender's star is already rising with "Inglorious Basterds" and future X-men sequels.

EON might want to go with an unknown again.

"That guy from Tomb Raider?!"

20. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah but making him a human, especially one that coonfirms everything Erik hates about human's would have made Erik's ark much stronger. Making him a mutant (even one he didn't know about to begin with) dilutes that, because in the other films Magneto has such a strong hatred for preducial humans. Also making this mutant uber-powerful seems like a move by the producers to go for the lowest common demnominator in blockbuster movie making. It ght have been interesting to see this Nazu perform these experiments on mutants, but then gradually change as he learns more about thm. He wouldn't totally sympathize with them, but just as he seems to be getting close to doing so, Erik kills him.

One of my favorite scenes in the first film is when Erik is looking at the Statue of Liberty and telling Rogue what it meant to him. The Erik in this movie seems so different from that awesome character we had.