Google ownz your browsing

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by AntonyF, Sep 2, 2008.

1. AntonyF

AntonyF Official Tahmoh Taster Rear Admiral

With the news that Google is finally bringing out a browser, I ask why?

They've done a comic strip to illustrate why... which is very sinister some how:
    http://www.google.com/googlebooks/chrome/

Reasons quoted include less crashes, and faster web pages.

Which are non-reasons in my opinion.

My browsers rarely crash, can't remember last time one crashed on me. As to faster web pages, certainly I have no problems with rendering pages. The only slowdown is on things like the network connection.

What this is about is control, pure and simple. There's no need for a new browser; they should be throwing their weight behind Firefox if they really want a strong competitor to MS.

I really hate Google these days.

2. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    I hate Google these days because I keep getting Error Msg #6502. The Help pages are an absolute joke, as there is no help available whatsoever.

I hate Yahoo! as well, but at least at some point I eventually manage to figure out how to reach a real human with them. With Google, you never do (reach somebody who actually works for them).

3. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm using Firefox 3, and I've experienced several of the issues, especially the Javascript and crashing ones, just on the TrekBBS within the past few weeks. If Google can build a better browser and get it out there for free, well more options for us, and I say more power to 'em.

4. All Seeing Eye

All Seeing Eye Admiral

It sounds exciting to me and i'm looking forward to it. I'm sure it will be better than even firefox. :techman:
    Go Google!

5. This is great, I'm looking forward to giving this a spin.

Hopefully they can do a little bit of revolutionizing.

I love how the OP just assumes that because his browser never crashed and his pages dont load slow, that clearly, NOBODY ELSE'S DOES! CLEARLY ITS SOME NEFARIOUS SCHEME.

I've experience exactly the same experiences that Gep Malakai mentioned the ones above. Not to mention Firefox is a MEMORY HOG when you start using multiple tabs. It has crashed more than few times for me.

IE is crap, and Firefox is average, only good in comparison to IE. Its not some god-like browser, it's over-hyped by the internet crowd, with multiple issues of its own. But when your only real competition is the bloated garbage that is IE, anything looks good.

Bring it on Google. Just make sure it's actually good.

6. Rii

Rii Rear Admiral

I wouldn't say that Firefox crashes often, but it certainly crashes more often than anything else on this (Vista x64) system. Granted, it's used more often than most other applications too.

Regarding speed, using Joystiq as an example, in Internet Explorer I can spin the flywheel on my mouse and it'll scroll smoothly from top to bottom in the space of two seconds. Using Firefox it's closer to five seconds and it jerks and jumps all the way down. It has nothing to do with scroll speed settings, the additional delay on Firefox is caused by all the momentary pauses as it scrolls down the page, pauses which are visually disconcerting as well as time consuming. I don't know, or particularly care to know, the details as to what's going on there, but it's vaguely annoying.

7. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

They talk about multi-threading and multi-processing browsers as if they were a new thing. OmniWeb on the NeXT had all that back in the 90's.

I'll stick with Firefox for now.

8. I'm posting from Google Chrome right now. 8-)

Asthetically, it's really cool. Haven't run into any performance problems either.

Drag-off tabs to a new window is pretty cool.

So far it feels light and fast. Which instantly puts it above IE.

I'll need to test it out some more though, but if it handles memory better than Firefox, then I think I've found my new browser.

9. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Seems very light and fast - I've crashed it twice in the space of an hour.

Sisko - if you right-click on the top board, you can access the task manager (rather than windows task manager) and get a good idea of what the footprint is.

10. that's a sharp little feature. Though to be honest, it doesn't look like its improving the memory usage all that much. It is having every tab and plugin as a seperate process, and its useful to see which one is sucking up how much memory. Not bad, but I wonder how it runs on Vista, i'll have to wait until i'm at home to try that out

11. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

I've just installed it, it does seem smoother than Firefox. I'll more than likely stay with Firefox, more out of familiarity than brand loyalty. But it seems to be a nice little addition to the browser contenders. I'll probably keep an eye on how it develops.

12. Seraphim

Seraphim Admiral Admiral

I'll shut down my thread since this is already here.

----------------------------------

So who here has downloaded and tried the new Google browser named Chrome? I'm using it now. Though it doesn't have all the bells and whistles as firefox 3 it seems to perfrom pretty well and is not annoying like safari for windows. So check it out when you get the chance.
    Google Chrome:techman:

13. Shaw

Shaw Commodore Commodore

While I'm always happy to see people tout my favorite browser (OmniWeb) and one of my favorite platforms (NeXT), I think it is important to point out that NEXTSTEP/OPENSTEP/Rhapsody did not have multiprocessor support in any version released to the public. While they all had the potential, it wasn't until development started on Mac OS X that Apple included the actual ability. When running NEXTSTEP, OPENSTEP or Rhapsody on a multiprocessor system, only one processor is used (first hand experience with both multiprocessor PCs and Macs).

That having been said, OmniWeb is an awesome browser. It has been my primary browser since 1997 and (in my opinion) makes the web a much more enjoyable experience.

As for the topic at hand... I don't understand why anyone would be upset by a company releasing a product. Either it'll be worth it or not. But short of them using anti competitive measures, why not just let them try?

14. drasche

drasche Captain Captain

Google wants competition and I think they want to bury Internet Explorer. With Chrome, they proved they can do it and shake the little world of web browsers. I hope their competitors (especially Microsoft) will be able to give them a proper answer.

15. Garrovick

Garrovick Guest

Chrome will be better than FireFox, but browsers like IE8 are still the future.

People should not be worried about MS.

MS can hardly see the "browsers" still way back in the distance even from the top of the mountain.

And just a little off topic, what's the E.U.'s effort in OSs and browsers and media players?

16. All Seeing Eye

All Seeing Eye Admiral

Didn't the BBC bring out some kind of media player not long ago? or am I thinking of something else.

17. Vic Sixx

Vic Sixx Commodore Commodore

Chrome is really fast, faster than any I've tried. I've had some minor trouble with Firefox, and I've been able to use IE without the thing crashing. Chrome is nice but I hate that you can't mouse scroll down a page. But I'll keep trying it. When trekbbs is running slow, a little box comes up asking me if I'd like kill the page. I enjoy that for some reason.

18. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

Why? What's so special about IE8? (I haven't used it yet.)

19. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff Intrepid Explorer Administrator

Higher version number.

Firefox will have to jump straight to nine in order to stay ahead of the game.

20. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

It apparently has most of the features of Chrome, plus it's IE, so has the built in user base.
    I have the beta installed, but I don't really use it, so I can't say I've noticed much difference to IE7.