'Friday's Child' question...

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by LMFAOschwarz, Nov 11, 2013.

1. LMFAOschwarz

LMFAOschwarz Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm watching this episode as we speak. The scenes are going back and forth from the Enterprise to the planet. Kirk is speaking with Teer Akaar. Back to the ship, Klingon intrigue. Back once again to the planet, and suddenly a big fight is going on in the village, everybody seems to be getting in on it. What started it? Was this an extension of the "Do you say you will fight me, Maab" conversation?

2. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

That's how I read it, though I've not seen the episode in over 15 years. Maab and his followers are trying to gain control of the tribe. Notably, Maab's honorable enough to not give the Klingon his weapon back yet, though he favors their proposal.

3. LMFAOschwarz

I wasn't sure, but I had to ask. After the "Do you say you will fight me, Maab?" scene, it sounded to me to imply a one-on-one challenge. But this planet does have its own peculiar customs (a big point of discussion throughout), so I guess it all boils down to that. It was also a bit weird to me, that Maab just announces "Akaar is dead." without having seen it happen.

One nice thing in this episode, to me anyway, is getting to see a character (Eleen) mis-enunciate McCoy's name, for once! :lol:

4. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    I never saw Julie Newmar in anything else. Did she normally speak with an accent, as she did in this episode?

5. Melakon

I sometimes wonder if a scene was cut for time, or never filmed, or never written with all the stuff happening in that episode. Though at least they were on location with a big cast and an impressive explosion scene.

Julie (80 now) always used a distinctive voice with her characters, and I suspect she was using a Capellan accent.

If you've never seen her work before, you should see her as Catwoman on the old Batman tv series from around the same time. Then check her out as a Native American warrior woman in the film Mackenna's Gold. And check out an earlier non-speaking role as Stupefyin' Jones in the film Li'l Abner. And then look for her own series with Bob Cummings where she's a robot, My Living Doll.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
  6. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Is purring words an accent?;)

7. LMFAOschwarz

Ha ha..no! I meant her intentional Mac-Coy" throughout. :lol:

8. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

There was a later sequence that was filmed but cut, after our heros have helped Eileen escape.

9. LMFAOschwarz

Thanks, Unicron..neat read! :techman:

10. Melakon

Yes, thanks for that Unicron. It does explain why some parts of the show are a bit jarring.

11. GSchnitzer

GSchnitzer Co-Executive Producer In Memoriam

The fight scene is indeed abrupt and there actually was a scripted missing piece. (It makes things a little bit better, but not much.) Scene 19 is the “The sky does not interest me” scene that ends with Eleen’s “Leave him” comment. Cut to Scene 20 on the bridge with the faint ship on Chekov’s monitor and Klingon ship intrigue. Cut to (and this is where it becomes different) Scene 21:

21 INT. SMALLER TENT – NIGHT

As Kirk Spock and McCoy hear SCUFFLING, then a YELL from outside. They sit up alert, then MORE SOUNDS, a SCREAM. They hurry to the tent flap.

22 EXT. CAPELLAN ENCAMPMENT – AT SMALLER TENT – NIGHT

As Kirk and the others open the flap, find the Guards are gone. Then MORE SHOUTS, the CLANG OF METAL WEAPONS. Then one of Maab’s Warriors breaks out of the darkness and into view, swinging on of the huge knives. McCoy is almost skewered; Kirk diverts the Warrior just in time and Spock applies his neck pinch; the Warrior drops unconscious. They break into a run toward the SOUNDS.

23 ANOTHER PART OF THE ENCAMPMENT

Bedlam. Akaar is in the center of the swirl of fighting, defending himself… others standing with him. Attackers are led by Maab.

The script then progresses from there just as we have seen. Fighting. Klingon into the tent, Kirk comes in. Struggle. Maab comes in and announces “Akaar is dead. I am the Teer.”

So it looks like they just took out Scenes 21 and Scene 22. It jumps right from Scene 19 on the bridge to the “bedlam” of Scene 23. However, there’s no clarity on when and how Akaar was killed—other than the obvious stuff that we can read between the lines.

12. alchemist

alchemist Captain Captain

These scripted scenes were filmed slightly differently than written and then rearranged in the editing room. This image is from the start of scene 22.

13. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Oh the irony of hiring an actress/dancer with one of the best figures in the business, and making her up pregnant.

14. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

WHY WHY WHY is this the episode they actually find missing footage from???

as per Charlie Brown, "AAUGGH!"

I think I hated this episode the most anyway. Now this. Even worse than "That Which Survives." That is a nothing so I hate it on principle. This one I truly really dislike.

But I digress. . .

15. Melakon

I actually liked the Capellans. It was an attempt by the series to present a genuinely different race with different social behaviors and distinctive costumes. Their difference in size wasn't always consistent, but Shatner's head would have been at the bottom of the frame otherwise.

16. alchemist

alchemist Captain Captain

We reach, brother! "Friday's Child" is at the very top of my disliked episodes list - I just can't stand it.

And the universe apparently doesn't like it either, to wit: The missing scene footage to which you're referring was found in a garbage bag in California. Missed it by that much...

:)

17. Grant

Grant Commodore Commodore

What missing footage was found---you mean the script excerpt of actual footage?

18. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Click above and there is soundless footage for missing scene.

19. LMFAOschwarz

Why is this, exactly? I used to be like that once. To me, as a kid, nothing slowed down a story more than carting around a pregnant woman...well, with the exception of a character breaking her shoe during a pursuit scene. :lol: I've grown to rather like it, though!

Agreed!

20. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    Thanks - I'll check Netflix and see if any of those are available. :)

I don't understand why this episode seems to be so hated - it's no better or worse than most of them, and it's nice to see McCoy having more to do.