eBook Formats and Readers ?'s

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by ConRefit79, Jan 6, 2010.

1. Ktrek

Ktrek Captain Captain

Here I believe you to be incorrect. The nook does read adobe epubs that are authorized by Adobe Digital Edition. When the nook is connected to your USB port and ADE is running you can authorize the nook as a recognizable device and any adobe epub or pdf that has DRM can then be sideloaded to the nook and read. I have done it a dozen times with no problems. This is one of things I like about the nook is not being locked into one distributer of ebooks.

Kevin

2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

^Me to. While I hadn't actually done it before this disaster, part of the reason I got the Nook was so I could get books from more places than just B&N.

3. ST-One

ST-One Vice Admiral

Since I have a Nook and bought dozens of ebook in ePub (downloaded and authorized via ADE) I know how the process works.

Whatever the problem with this books here is, it looks like a loss of 7,99 $

4. JWolf

JWolf Commodore Commodore

I've found that S&S has issues sometimes with ePub eBooks and it's nearly impossible to get a hold of someone to help sort out the problem. That's why I buy S&S eBooks from some other shop where it usually works.

Buying for your iPod is not going to give you as good a reading experience as using your nook. You should have bought via B&N or Sony or Kobo or Borders. Then you'd have it on your nook and not on such a tiny screen.

5. JWolf

The best thing to do is NEVER buy any eBooks using iBooks. It's Apple's fault we have the Agency 5 and the way to help is to get Apple to tank when it comes to eBooks. Cancel he order and buy it from a different shop. If you buy it from say BooksOnBoard, you can use txtr or Bluefire to read it as both support the DRM used and you don't give Apple the sale.

6. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

iPod? You mean iPAD, right? ;)

And I don't think the iPad's screen is tiny at all. :shrug:

7. JWolf

No, iPod. Did you bother to read the message I replied to? The message clearly said iPod. Also the good news is that Apple did not get the sale.

8. Mr. Laser Beam

I thought that was also a typo, since I can't understand why anyone would want to read an e-book on a screen as small as an iPod's.

9. Ktrek

Ktrek Captain Captain

Believe it or not there are a LOT of people who use ereader apps on the Ipod and the Iphone. I don't understand it either but just yesterday I saw a dude reading a book on his Iphone at Starbucks. He looked at me with my nook like I was the kook! :confused:

Kevin

10. Smitty

Smitty Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Agreed, a long time ago I would read whole books on my Palm 3. In more recent times, I would buy books on my iphone and read in Stanza and the iphone Kindle app. Now that I have my Kindle I really do not read books on the iphone anymore.

11. Mysterio

Mysterio Lieutenant Red Shirt

I agree that reading on the iPod is not optimal but right now in Canada getting Zero Sum Game for my iPod Kindle App is the only option available to me.

12. Mr. Laser Beam

^ Well I suppose that's not as bad, since if you're talking apps, I guess you mean the iPod Touch, which does have a bigger screen. I have a Classic and would never even think of trying to read a book on a screen THAT small. :p

13. ronny

ronny Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I sometimes read on my Blackberry which is going to give a similar experience to an iPod, though I'm sure an iPod is better. I have a Kindle but I don't carry it all the time. With a Kindle app on my Blackberry I can pick up where I left off. I don't know if I would read War and Peace on my phone but it's good for short stories and light reading.

14. JWolf

I have read on my iPhone. But I do prefer my Sony Reader.

15. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

I had a chance to play with the NookColor the other day and while It isn't going to replace my eink nook (especially after the software update that makes page turning (and everything else) ridiculously faster, which I also got to play with) It certainly does have some appeal for me. The screen is kind of amazing considering the price-point and the only issue I ran into was a little jerkiness on the magazines, but considering it wasn't a final software build I expect that will be mostly fixed by the 19th. I went in very doubtful and walked out figuring out how to pay for it out of my strained holiday budget, so I guess you could say I'm sold.

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

How do you get the updates for the e-ink Nook. My sister has one to, and she said to make sure I always do the updates, but I haven't seen anything about any yet.

17. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

There hasn't been an uupdate since the wifi only model came out, but on the 18th or 19th you should get a little popup on your main screen telling you to download the update either through the nook via wifi or by downloading it online and dropping it on the nook from your computer.

18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ok thanks. Then there just must not have been any since I got mine a couple months ago.

19. Ktrek

Ktrek Captain Captain

Actually B&N said sometime this month. The 19th is the release date for the nookcolor (which my wife is buying for me for Christmas) but the nook classic update is supposed to be by the end of the month. They have never specified a date.

Kevin

20. aaon80

aaon80 Lieutenant Red Shirt

I own both an iPad and an iPhone 4. In general I prefer reading books on the iPad in iBooks. In a pinch I will read using the Kindle app for the iPad, as I had to do when Zero Sum Game didn't come out in iBooks, despite the preorders. In general it is a more pleasant reading experience than I would have anticipated. I didn't think I would like teh eye strain of reading on the screen, but I find it to be not bad, and I can read for extended periods with no problem.

I also occasionally read on my iPhone (on the bus, tram, etc). On the old iphone this was a poor experience, with the resolution limiting the enjoyment significantly. However, the high resolution iPhone 4 screen has made it a breeze. Yes, you have to turn pages pretty frequently, due to the small size, but the text in both iBooks and Kindle is crystal clear. Definitely acceptable for short or medium length trips.

Having said all that, I still prefer my books in dead-tree format. But since I am living in Europe for a few years, I'll likely be buying many more ebooks, to avoid having to haul them all back to the USA when I am done! :-p