Lost 5x05: "This Place is Death"

Discussion in 'Lost' started by Agent Richard07, Feb 11, 2009.

?

Grade the episode...

1. Excellent

58.6%
  2. Above Average

32.9%
  3. Average

5.7%
  4. Below Average

1.4%
  5. Poor

1.4%
  1. DeafPoet

DeafPoet Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Why?

Please justify yourself.

I want to know why you think that the best episode in ages was bullshit.

2. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ The episode sucked because it was bad. Duh! :p

3. chrisspringob

chrisspringob Commodore Commodore

So, since the donkey wheel was simply off-axis, and Locke just had to push it, and he's done so now, does that mean that the time jumping has stopped? If so, then what's the point of bringing the O6 back to the island, if the time jumping has already stopped? Or is the issue simply that the time jumping stopped when the castaways on the island were in the wrong time? They're stuck somewhere in the past now?

4. label

label Vice Admiral Admiral

Awesome episode. Those of you who didn't care for it are watching the wrong show because this is exactly the type of episode that is the quintessential "Lost" experience.

Yes we know the Oceanic Six are returning to the island.....duh. Who really ever questioned that? It's how they get there and why that are the compelling pieces.

Yes, the beginning of this season has introduced some time travel craziness and has been somewhat confusing at times......I'll take confusing and a little hard to follow over the pablum that defines 99% of the rest of TV right now.

Yes, we had bits and pieces of info about Danielle and her past, but did anyone really trust that her account was 100% accurate? Or that it even made sense? It was nice to finally got some confirmation that she wasn't insane and at the same time get some more information about the Smoke Monster, the island and the temple which we had not seen before. All in all it was a nice way to tell the story of the past while filling in clues about the future.

I don't know, for someone who's watched it from day 1 on and has followed the boards so that not every reveal is huge (Like Faraday's mom being eloise) this episode is still about as good as it gets for Lost fans.

5. RobertScorpio

RobertScorpio Pariah

It was a great episode. Most of these people who didn't like it don't understand that the 'rest of the story' has yet to be told. When this show finally ends, next season by the way, then we will all be able to tell if it adds up. But when I read these people list all these problems with a story that isn't complete, then I wonder why they even watch....because secretly they like it. They just want to be heard. Their like children. Let them have their say, as illogical as their spattle is.

Rob

6. John Picard

John Picard Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes, you picked a bad time to leave. Smokey is a security system for the Temple.

My interested was piqued by the hieroglyphics as well.

7. RobertScorpio

RobertScorpio Pariah

It was a great episode. Most of these people who didn't like it don't understand that the 'rest of the story' has yet to be told. When this show finally ends, next season by the way, then we will all be able to tell if it adds up. But when I read these people list all these problems with a story that isn't complete, then I wonder why they even watch....because secretly they like it. They just want to be heard. They are like children. Let them have their say, as illogical as their spattle is. They have much in common with the fans who ALREADY KNOW that TREK XI will suck...

Rob

8. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

Above average. It was interesting but some things were starting to get tedious. The stuff of the mainland is getting a bit old, trying to round everyone up and convinced to go. It was interesting at first but dragging just a bit now. Same with the time jumping on the island. Entertaining at first but now dragging. Hopefully both aspects will move on and it looks like that's possible.

The red haired chick dying was a bit of a surprise but she wasn't my favorite character anyway so no biggie. I guess it was supposed to be a big surprise that Daniel warned her about not going back to the island but it just seems par for the course now. Well worn ground for Lost.

And, seeing what we had heard about before was initially interesting but again has been done a few too many times now.

Overall, still entertaining but a few notes are getting a bit repetitive.

Mr Awe

Last edited: Feb 12, 2009
  9. Chess Piece Face

Chess Piece Face Commodore Commodore

For the above 2 posters who are saying "those that didn't like the episode" are "children" who "don't understand it" and "you are watching the wrong show" I've got two words for you: fuck off.

I've watched the entire show. I love the show. I wasn't thrilled with the episode - so what? You get to call me names and tell me what I understand?

Now I'll get a warning and you'll get nothing. Bullshit.

10. Chess Piece Face

Chess Piece Face Commodore Commodore

This guy gets it.

11. TheArsenal

TheArsenal Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That was my take. It's the only reason I can justify such a large disconnect between getting his arm torn off and the laughable understatement of "I'm hurt". That, or shock.

Charlotte's death underwhelmed me a bit, and I didn't find either of her reveals - that she lived on the island or that Faraday warned her in the past - to be that interesting.

That aside, the rest of the episode was solid. Ben's fit in the car goes a way toward my belief that he thinks he the good guy in this story, even if his methods are more than questionable. Typical of which, was using the ring Jin presented to keep Sun off the island to lure her back on it.

I'm particularly intrigued to see how Hawking fits into the larger puzzle. Based on this, and prior, appearances she may be the key to supplying some of the important answers as to the how and why of the show's time travel.

A hair shy of excellent: Above Average.

12. jamestyler

jamestyler Commodore Commodore

I mentioned in the last ep thread that I'd be worried about something like that happening, though more the thought of going into the Orchid chamber and getting stuck in the rock/dirt in the past. I was happy to see a variation of it show up.

I didn't think he was there in the flesh as he said he couldn't help Locke to his feet. It could be that Locke had to find the strength to do it alone, but first thought was that, like Walt, he wasn't a corporal being.

Glad I wasn't the only one who noticed ;) Now to see if theres any connection (such as Dharma putting the symbols there just to say 'This... is bad'), or just an art department link.

The time jumping can't have stopped yet. We've seen Faraday in hte past already and know that now Charlottes dead he has to go back and warn her. I'm hoping this means that the group is back to where Faraday was and that stuff happens now or if there will be a few more jumps... though I'm more curious to find out where/when Locke went as he spent time on the mainland before he died. Though considering the next ep title, we'll know in six days.

I'm wondering how much she knows. Faraday seems to have complete faith in her (we seem to have enough to tell us she's her mother, especially with Desmonds line which made me laugh a little) which hints again at Faraday knowing way more than he's letting on. I'm really looking forward to seeing more from her.

Anyway... general first thoughts...

It seemed to be filled with nice little moments from Charlotte making the Klingon joke (I assumed we'd get more of that with JJ heading the new Trek movie), then saying she loved Jeronimo Jackson, Christian's 'Say hello to my son' line and a few other moments.

I quite liked Ben's outburst when in the car with Sun and Jack which is a nice backup of his being the good guy despite being a manipulator, Jin sacrificing seeing his wife again to make sure she's safe, Charlotte remembering Faraday before she died linking back to his appearance in the past and of course, seeing Danielle discovering her love for her rifle.

It was nice to see the temple and soon we should find out why it's safe for the Others to be there and no one else.

13. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

Thanks, and I thoroughly agree with your review of it.

Some people just can't seem to take a bit of criticism over a show that they watch. Seems like a strange thing for them to get upset over.

Mr Awe

14. label

label Vice Admiral Admiral

I know I didn't call anyone names or insult anyone in my posts (I mean, come on, it is just a TV show after all and who really cares who likes what episodes or not?), but just in case my post was one you might have been referring to, let me clarify a few points.

1) I genuinely could care less if no one else on the planet like the episode but me, least of someone I don't even know on the internet. I harbor no emotion (for good or for bad) to those who may have (dis)liked this episode.

2) My post was more to point out that those people who seemed to have problems with the episode or said they hated it or were bored, seemed to be pointing to various aspects of the show that have defined the Lost experience from day 1, and thus was a bit perplexing to me.

For instance, someone (I didn't go back and look so maybe this was you, maybe this was someone else) pointed out that it was "obvious" that Eloise was Faraday's mom and they were disappointed with that. I don't see why there's disappointment with this reveal since we still know very little of the backstory, how she fits in, why she showed up to desmond or really much of anything about her. That doesn't make the story any less interesting that most of us guessed that just like most of us guessed Ben/Henry Gale was an other when that was supposed to be one of the big mysteries in Season 2. That we all pretty much guessed he was an other was not a shock to anyone, it was when his people convinced Michael to unexpectedly kill Ana lucia and Libby that we got our "wow" moment. I'm guessing the same is on the horizon with Eloise.

Another thing I read was that someone pointed out that it was obvious the 6 were going to get back to the island and why waste time with the off island story. To that, I point to Babylon 5 were Londo knew G'kar would kill him in Season 1 and that's how he would die. But we had no context and no understanding of how they ended up like that and what appeared to be obvious in Season 1 was radically different when we finally revealed why G'kar was with Londo and why he killed him. The same thing is true of the Oceanic Six........we know their going to get back, it's how and why that matters and that's what the story-tellers are doing right now which is what they've done all along in all the seasons of Lost.

Thus my confusion........this type of story-telling is pretty much what we've got most of the time we've watched Lost and will assuredly be what we get to finish Lost with............if this type of story-telling isn't appealing, then probably Lost isn't your cup of tea, which is all I was trying to say.

15. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

My one dissapointment that I didn't mention earlier was that I thought Jin was going to follow the French people's expedition down into Cerebrus' tunnel and I got so excited but, alas, it didn't happen.

16. Gertch

Gertch Admiral

I have a couple of questions.

1) When Locke came out of the cabin and said "we have to move the cabin" or did he say "I?" Or was it "He wants us to move the Island?"

I'm remembering he said "we" or "us" and not clear it was his responsibility. Then Ben grabbed onto that and decided he was going to do it. But why? Did he know Jacob would want Locke to do it but decided to stick it to the Island for allowing him to develop a tumor? Did he think he might get back in the good graces of the Island for moving the Island?

2) Is the Islandized (what do we call what Richard and Robert have become after the Island takes them over) Christian stuck in the time jumps with the Losties because his body is from that time line?

3) Has Christian been waiting in the well for Locke to show up or can he just appear there?

4) How come they all had to go back or else but she can work with what they have now? And why not a special "hello again" to Desmond?

I tossed and turned from about 2am to 5am having dreams about this episode. But I can quit any time I want.

17. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

^
    IIRC, we never heard the words Christian uttered in the cabin. Just indirect speech, brought by Locke. Christian could have said "I want you to move the island" and John could have understood the inclusive part of the pronoun.

Finally French who speak French! :lol: Well at least Danielle and Robert. The others were clearly Quebecois! ;)

18. Garak

Garak Cruisin' Premium Member

On the whole, above average.

Charlotte and her massive forehead was getting on my nerves, so I'm glad she finally snuffed it. I hope it's explained why she never opened her mouth that she'd been on the island before, because if it doesn't then she's probably the worst (and worst written) character of the entire series.

I'm REALLY enjoying the Oceanic 6 storyline though, can't wait to see where that goes.

Cool to see the Rousseau angle, I have to say. How did the dude know the smoke is a security system and who told him that? What changed him?

Nice reappearance of the frozen donkey wheel, love that timey wimey thing. :lol:

19. I Grok Spock

I Grok Spock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I got a definite Austin Powers vibe from that scene, and unfortunately it kinda took me out of the show for a bit. Overall, though I enjoyed it.

20. chrisspringob

chrisspringob Commodore Commodore

The time jumping could have stopped if, as you say, they're already back to the timeframe in which Charlotte is a kid. It's stopped, and they're stuck there. This would make sense, as, in the season premiere, we see Faraday undercover posing as a Dharma worker. If they were only in a given timeframe for a few hours at a time, he wouldn't have had time to steal a Dharma uniform, make his way down there unnoticed, etc.