Sci-fi greenlights STARGATE: UNIVERSE

Discussion in 'Stargate' started by Ghostface1701, Aug 22, 2008.

1. Ghostface1701

Ghostface1701 Commander Red Shirt

Though I'm not a fan, I thought you all might like to know that a new Stargate series will start on Sci-fi next year.

From an article at AICN here, quoting The Hollywood Reporter:
    AICN also states that the series will preceded by a two-hour Stargate: Universe TV-movie in the first half of next year.

Sounds like a good time to be a SG fan :)

2. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

^Yea, except they just canceled Atlantis. :lol:

3. The Borg Queen

The Borg Queen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So it's Star Gate: Voyager?

4. Gepard

Pretty much. I don;t hang around in this forum too much, but what time I have spent here reveals that even several of the dyed-in-the-wool 'Gaters here think this sounds like a terrible idea. :lol:

Last edited: Aug 22, 2008
  5. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

I'm as died in the wool as you get (not seeing many other Atlantis inspired usernames :p) and I think it sounds interesting.

6. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Surely, after yesterday's news, the world's worst kept secret....

7. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Aw, frak.

8. MrPointy

MrPointy Captain Captain

Eh.

I was kinda hoping they'd give Universe at least another year of tooling.

The cast better be good.

9. Vahki

Vahki Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

My feeling of dread over the new series has been amplified 10 fold after reading that information. :(

10. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

I'm not going to judge it until I see it. Although I do kinda how they move to a new location, so we're not stuck with the same old "planets".

11. Gepard

Seriously. IIRC, the original leaked pitch stated that the Ancient ship was flying on a mission to seed gates in previously un-gated areas. Fair enough. So how does this:
    ...even make sense? What's the Destiny's mission now? :confused:

But that won't matter, really, if the execution is good enough. But at the moment, from reading the Sci-Fi blurb, it honestly sounds exactly like SG:A, but with the ship (read: city) flying all the time instead of stationary all the time. Whoop-de-do.

12. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer Fleet Admiral Admiral

I thought that they wouldn't put Universe on the air until 2010 but it's launching next year. I definitely feel that they cancelled SGA mainly to make room for SGU. I wonder if SCi-Fi greenlights Caprica if they'll pair it with SGU.

13. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

Here is the thing, I do think it sounds very interesting, BUT, I thought Atlantis sounded interesting, and it has been executed poorly with no real goals and its potential squandered. This is what I fear happening to Stargate Universe, it will suffer the same fate as SGA. I hope they prove me wrong though.

14. Kpnuts

Kpnuts Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh god, this is going to be terrible.

Stargate: Voyager will literally last two years, then get cancelled. Putting the final nail in the Stargate coffin.

Thanks to the morons who are running the show. They've lost every shred of creativity.

SG-1 was TNG. Atlantis was Deep Space Nine. Universe is Voyager.

I honestly fear the worst. How much damage can TPTB possibly do to SG!!!

15. Gepard

Except DS9 got better. And TNG didn't go down the toilet in the last 3 seasons. :p

16. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Yup.

17. AviTrek

AviTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

TNG was also smart enough to end after 7 seasons instead of dragging it out to 10. To continue that analogy, I guess that makes Arc of Truth = Generations and Continuum = First Contact. Uh oh, that means Insurrection is next.

18. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Most bald premises don't sound good. There's nothing really problematic in this one - including the alleged fact that they can't control the ship.

We'll see.

19. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Indeed, let's hope that that doesn't turn into Universe's version of Atlantis' "can't get back to Earth" tag.....

20. TerriO

TerriO Writer-type human Premium Member

Crap, I was making the SG-1/SG:A==TNG/DS9 comparisons back in Season 1 of Atlantis. Nice to see we're finally agreeing on something.

While I hate the fact of SG:A being replaced by this, hopefully we'll get at least one familiar face on the show. This might be an interesting spot to put Lorne into. :vulcan: