The Nature of the TARDIS

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by starsuperion, Mar 26, 2014.

1. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think that this illustration is inspired. It's beautiful, so my vote is to include this one for sure.

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Well, if it really were a Gallifreyan word, then who knows how they form their plurals? But as an English word, Tardises or TARDISes would be right in any case -- and it is what they use on the show.

Speaking of back-forming acronyms, not long ago a pair of theoretical physicists came up with a relativistically valid mathematical model for a type of time warp which they called a Traversable Achronal Retrograde Domain In Spacetime. Here's their paper on the subject:

http://arxiv.org/abs/1310.7985

And here's the white paper explaining it for laypeople:

http://arxiv.org/abs/1310.7983

3. starsuperion

starsuperion Commodore Commodore

I am happy someone finally voted! thanks. that's one down for the full version.

Thanks for this! I shall read both!

Last edited: Mar 30, 2014
  4. starsuperion

Here is the cover for the book. Page 5 of the book is coming later today. The real stuff is going to be the technical plans, and such.. all this stuff was pretty much the basics for the new Whovian reader to start off with.. :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 30, 2014
  5. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm not even a Doctor Who fan, and these are f-king awesome. Congrats!:techman:

6. starsuperion

THANKS MAN! I hope you like the rest I will be putting out. Page 5 is next!

I was just let know by Kasterborous (I think the website owner??) that my front page said Blueprints, and Tardises have Greyprints.. LOL! I just made that change to my cover page above.. sorry bout that guys/ladies. :)

7. starsuperion

With a TARDIS being made from Validium, a living metal.. what if Omega was able to get that, forging a new body from the essential DNA material of a TARDIS.. he would be like a TARDIS, and all he would need then is a control mechanism to use with his form, and could move through time and space without a vortex manipulator..control mechanism on his belt..also he has rings, which are resurrection devices, I think he gave one to the Master.. or the Master gave that tech to him..

Here's a pic I did based on just that, and what he might have looked like if given a resurrected body during the time war..

My hypothesis is that Omega is the Could'vebeenking.. his army of meanwhiles and never weres are temporal shadows of fallen time lords subverted (never weres), and Timelord disciples (meanwhiles) of his who sought to subvert Gallifreyan order for his eternal leadership..just my theory..

[​IMG]

8. starsuperion

Page 5..

[​IMG]

Here is page 6, I decided to revamp page 5 above to what you see now.

[​IMG]

Cheers! :)

Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
  9. starsuperion

For those technologically minded, and those with a working knowledge of Physics and quantum string theory..Of which I have studied for the better part of 12 years, all the while applying what I learned over time to the problem of using real world solutions and physics to solve the nature of the the TARDIS..

Here are my workings on how they formed the Tardis, and the eye of harmony.. basically here is how it goes..

Quite simply put, what happens is the time lord engineers, have discovered by using the original eye of harmony, what the exact quantum mathematical formula is of the vibrations measured in quantum strings and the particles that exist within it's own structure. by making a copy of this, and the higgs bosons which control mass, they are able to reconstruct with a catalyst set of particles, a copy of the eye, in miniature format. by using gravity, via the higgs field generated by the original, they can then warp space and fold it back in on itself into a bubble dimension. almost sealed off, until they use the quantum foam structure of the remaining aperture or opening to the bubble as the bridge into the dimension. they then add the living metal format, which is grown within the dimension, around the eye as it's forming. Using this power source, it then constructs the basic structure necessary for the ship to function via the architectural configuration system. this happens via it's mathematical preloaded data, and creates it's engine, and architectural reconfiguration room, and basic master control console all from it's own power source. once that is completed, the time column is calibrated according to the multidimensional temporal coordinates given, and the Tardis internal structure begins to grow based on the machine codes of it's basic designs of it's greyprint models. In order to keep the micro universe stable these basic constructs are set in stone, and must be in place to maintain the micro-universe/dimension (dimension is the scifi sense and not meaning dimensions as in spatial). These basic core systems can exist without time allocation as they will just keep to themselves, until the time console and time column creates effective time, which creates existence for the occupant to occupy in linear format.

back to the journal notes..

it is this way, through particle integration of the Quantum Foam of the micro bubble universe, that they mean, "mapping" the exterior on to the interior..The Tardis has a knob on the console called a Quantum Foam manipulator, which works in conjunction with the ship's dimension, and the exterior shell

this bubble of course still has an access point, which is then built in on a molecular level to the ship's shell, via blockmath computation, and particle assimilation with the fabric of spacetime, Quantum foam, being integrated into the internal doorway, and plasmic shell. This also gives the access a real world event to gain entry into the interior dimension, along with dark energy and dark matter particles which also aide in keeping the internal bubble expanded, once time is allocated.. it's not simply time that keeps the dimension stable, but it's all a combination of things together that allow such a micro-universe to exist on it's own, and still be collapsible. to a certain extent. for the Tardis to generate matter, it would need access to the raw materials and particles, which it can do through what's already there, and what it can derive from real Space

The creation of the TARDIS dimension itself is expanded by allocating time, which causes SPACE to expand to accommodate time (see the Doctor WHO Movie 1960's), which creates in effect existence. This allocation of time is also how the Doctor can reduce Space and collapse the Dimension, because the Time column Is what dictates such allocations of time. When the 3rd Doctor removes the Time Column and console from the interior dimensions, the rest of the ship ceased to be, because no time was allocated to the interior to create the existence. In essence the Interior essentials of the ship still exist in their own dimension because the EYE of HARMONY is infinite power, it was not accessible to the interior of the outer plasmic shell, once the Time Column and console were removed. When that occurred, the rest of the ship's interior dimensions, and rooms ceased to be, but the core engine, and Eye of Harmony, and Architectural Configuration room still exist as they are tied to the outer plasmic shell, which is the DOORWAY to those essential sections.

When the 3rd Doctor re-allocated time to the dimension, and reconnected the console to the console room, he then could input a new internal configuration and create via machine code, and block math computation, fed to the Architectural configuration system, which in tern generates a vibrational field, which manipulates the particles on a quantum string level, and generates matter according to the math given to it. The console works in conjunction with this system by allocating time, which expands space to accommodate time, because time-space are essentially one, and this is how Trans-Dimensional engineering works. once time is allocated to the Dimension, it also is allocated to the other previous sections of the TARDIS that existed before, and those that exist in the future simultaneously, via the infinite nature of the EYE of HARMONY.

The TARDIS interior dimension must exist at all times as an entire package for it to work, like a universe with a start and end. So when time is allocated to the Dimension to make it a functional reality, time MUST also be allocated to the Beginning of the ship's existence, and all the way up to the end of it's existence. The Doctor just dwells in portions of the TARDIS time allocations, and configurations at particular linear events.

10. starsuperion

The sonic screw driver:

Much in the way the Tardis is formed, using quantum vibrational signatures in mathematical format, the same too is true of the Sonic screw driver. Using sound waves to move objects is a very real scientific discovery, however, the sonic screw driver uses it in a different way. What the Sonic screw driver really is, is a vibrational wave-form manipulator, whereby sound, because it is in an atmosphere, is used in conjunction with a vibrational mathematical formula, which is emitted to effect a 3 dimensional object at the quantum string level, and thus can manipulate solid matter on a small scale. It's power source is much smaller then that of the eye of harmony, so it's effects on solid matter are exponentially reduced in comparison to the architectural configuration room of the tardis. This relegates it to electronic manipulations, and door locks mostly. Much in the same way a TARDIS can reformat it's interior, by using it's own Validium (living Metal) shell as a vast antenna, the sonic screw driver can emit through it's casing a sound/vibrational wave directed at an object, and encoded within that sound are specific wave form vibrations calibrated to the molecular structure of the object it Is intended to be used with. These calculations can be done within it's own internal memory, (though if near the Tardis it can draw those calculations of the target matter from wireless transmission and data download, greatly improving it's processing speed) and is obtained by a simple scan of the object. See, the doctor who 50th Anniversary special, as the three Doctor's attempt to disintegrate a wooden door.

So yes, the Timelord science of using Sonic technology is there, however it is merely an overlay on the quantum Vibrational technology used to effect real matter.

11. starsuperion

In this GIF, you see how the rings flowing around the main centre connect and then release from different planetary sections. If you were to remove the base, keep the centre, making that the main engine section, below that will be the Eye of Harmony, and above the centre section is the main console room, the rings being the pedestrian pathways, or corridors, and the planetary bodies would be different rooms, with their own gyroscopic rings as additional corridors to smaller sub-rooms . This is what the model of the TARDIS interior dimension in the TARDIS technical file, and the Time Lord compendium was primarily based on, in addition to Peter McKinstrty's Model, and the screen image noted in the Journey to the centre of the TARDIS.

http://fav.me/d7e0a9d

12. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

I love a good technical manual.

What do you think of the Tardis being a tessaract wihin a texture, a 3D cosmological defect like a cosmic string?

If nothing else, to have the Doctor exclaim "Defect!?"

13. starsuperion

Warning, a rather lengthy reply to follow... TARDIS LEVELS: Think of the TARDIS that looks like a molecule model, or Atom. It's rings with Domes all circling around the central engine, and eye of harmony. As with the Prometheus planetary map concept from the movie, whereby the 3D graphic shows orbital paths, and planets rotating. In the TARDIS, these paths would represent the corridors, which can move and spin to connect with different sections around an orbit relative to the main section. each room is either connected to the corridor, or separately floating in this limbo until needed. The TARDIS can create more rooms, and attach them to the corridors at will, or delete a room, converting the matter (a flux state of matter) into energy and feed it directly back into the main engines. These rings and rooms each represent a specific floor. as the TARDIS grows in scale, new rings are formed spiraling out to the next floor and rings surrounding the previous floor and rings, and central engines. Think of the TARDIS to use the analogy coined by Shrek the cartoon character.. The TARDIS is like an onion. It's many spherical layers swirling downward and outward to form it's interior. The difference between a Tesseract, and a separate Bubble dimension is that in a Tesseract you have one space, which is being supplanted by another space as you move within it. It's like being in the Holodeck on the enterprise. It's an illusion that you are moving in a larger space, but in reality you are still in the single room. In the Tesseract, you are in the same spot relative to space, however your room is being supplanted by another as you stroll in. In the Case of the TARDIS, and according to Dr. Michio Kaku as noted in the Doctor who 7th series special, the Technology of Doctor Who, Dr. Kaku explains how the TARDIS is clearly a separate bubble universe off and yet still connected to our universe. This data falls in line with the Eye of Harmony, and the episode where the Doctor goes to a bubble Universe that is slowly collapsing to save an alien there which moves extremely fast, and is grotesquely humanoid. The Doctor explains that such a reality will collapse because it does not have an infinite source of power to sustain it. Which is exactly what the TARDIS has. In this manner you can extrapolate that a bubble universe would not have a set up-or down, nor would it have it's own gravity, or laws of physics except that upon which it's whole existence is determined by the set of mathematical principles set out in it's initial formation. Since it is made from our universe, certain principles will apply, however since it is cut off from our linear time, the principles that govern time in that Bubble of Quantum Foam, would need direction, hence the Time Column, and allocation of time which expands space within the bubble and allows multiple forms of existence within, on a 3D scale, and multiple rooms out of time and sync with other sections. Anyhow, back to the Levels description. As the corridors spiral out to different rooms, and some are static, remaining in place, some are orbiting and moving according to the Psychic needs of the pilot and crew. In some cases the ship's corridors can manifest additional pathways as short cuts to other sections, or gravity well lifts to other corridors, or some domes are actually junction nexuses which have places where corridors and rooms can intersect in one place, and then lead out to other sections. As you move higher in the spherical layers you ascend to another floor or level of the ship. As you descend in these spherical layers you get closer to the center of the TARDIS, where as noted by the Doctor in the episode Big Bang, River song was in the center of the spherical exploding TARDIS held suspended in Time. this would denote that the Main Console room is close to the Main engine section, and would fit with my assertion that the default bulk of the ship is in the middle of a spherical format. The eye of Harmony is off the central engines, and as you get closer to the middle of the ship, the Dimensional pressures become more pronounced, and give one the state of euphoric impressions, and such. Form the most part, the TARDIS rooms, and pool and such exist in the outer main rings or main floor, where the sections closest to the Main engine and Power Room, are connected to the "Bowels" of the TARDIS and considered the lower floors or decks as an inner set of rings. each room has it's own gravity orientated to the ship's direction. Each dome as it is , can adjust internally to the motions of the rings, and orbits around the central section. An example of this would be a spherical compass set in water. as you twist the outer clear ball, the inside remains level because of the pull of the Earth's gravity. as these domes orbit and connect to their corridors and such they too can adjust internally as it's outer validium shell moves to connect to it's respective corridor when needed. These connections become firm, once a layout is chosen after restructuring the ship's interior. However other Domes can be detached and ejected when not needed. some domes and corridor connections to these are dimensional link junctions, which connect that junction to another dome junction which can take you instantly from one section of the ship, to one of the higher levels, instantly arriving at another part of the ship, where normally it would take you days or weeks to get to. These junctions are few in nature because too many would destabilize the interior dimension. imagine if real space was plagued with nothing but mini wormholes all over the place, that would have a detrimental effect on our solar system, and universe. in the Type 4o Tardis these junctions are present only a few areas, but are inactive until needed by the pilot or crew, this is to cut down on Dimensional instability.

14. starsuperion

The Eye of Harmony is serviced on two sides by what looks like energy converters, and temporal field generators which probably feedback the energy to the eye of harmony's statis halo, which holds it outside of time, keeping it in a constant state. In my Compendium, and my thinking in regards to the TARDIS is that the energy used for the stability of the bubble universe comes directly from the eye of harmony, and is used for that, and the architectural reconfiguration systems exclusively. As for the movement of the ship, and secondary power source is needed, because stability of the bubble universe takes most of the infinite source of power. The Eye of Harmony is an infinite source of power.. NOT an infinite distributor of power. That is to say the energy needed to provide the artificial universe the Ship exists in is there, but the output is not necessarily high enough to spare to all of the ship's functions, which would make sense, which is why the doctor would need the dynamorphic generators and a 2nd power source to charge the engines up, like rift energy, once the direct link and power line from the original Eye of Harmony was lost after the Time War. that extra power was probably fed directly to the copy eye, and syphoned off to power the engines in addition to the additional power generators. Once that additional power source was lost, an alternative had to be found to open the engines to and soak up to be used to travel.

15. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

I love your take. I had this idea that it was rather like a Mandelbrot set into a brane, and like a haunted house, could extend and change. You've kicked it up a notch, and your diagrams feel right.

Now, we saw the Tardis eject portions of itself (House, once with the 5th Doctor)

You might want to touch on that.

16. starsuperion

I remember that! I need to rewatch that episode.. It was supposed to be the one after Logopolis I believe..correct?

17. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Castrovalva, yes. Arguably the most extensive use of an actual TARDIS *set* that didn't leverage actual locations with garbage bags taped over the windows, from the original series. And I'm counting "The Edge of Destruction".

Mark

18. starsuperion

I have never seen the Edge of Destruction! What it said in the wiki was it is set entirely in the TARDIS! I have to watch that now! Thanks Mark!:techman:

As boring as that sounds, It is good to watch those episodes as they help me with my TARDIS research, so to me the inside of the ship episodes are very exciting!

You know people who complain about episodes set entirely in the TARDIS, and who are Trek fans, I mean.. how much of the TREK episodes are set entirely on their ships??

19. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not counting the holodeck? :)

I've greatly enjoyed your work and I'm a little surprised you never saw "Edge"..! It should help flesh out a few things if the rest of your research hasn't already accounted for it. It was REALLY early on in the series, but it showed more of what the TARDIS looked like before the Doctor arguably got real experience with the universe, which could color subsequent iterations of the ship.

My view on what a TARDIS is, versus what it looks like, is that it's essentially a big box of Lego with which the operator can build whatever they want to internally AND externally. Sure, it comes with a big instruction manual detailing what it SHOULD look like as a default, and it even comes built in one way. But as with all things Lego, you can easily start tinkering with it, shifting blocks around and making it your own - heck, you can even lose pieces. Subsequent models of TARDIS are like the more modern Lego sets; new pieces and others that perform more specialized tasks or doing the same thing in new and interesting ways, but not taking away from the inherent customizability of the basic blocks.

Mark

20. starsuperion

Your lego analogy is quite astute. Only in place of the legos, change them to particles and your pretty bang on!