What's next for Batman...

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Warped9, Jul 22, 2012.

1. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

I love the Nolan films, but I'm looking forward to a new interpretation. There are other aspects of Batman lore to explore, and I think the end of The Dark Knight Rises is quite final.

Of course it's open-ended with Blake taking over the cowl, but I think for a Batman film you'd have to have Bruce Wayne as Batman. Bringing Bruce back would undermine the ending of TDKR, so it's better to start fresh.

I also think they could make an amazing live-action Batman tv show, but it probably won't happen because they'll want to do movies.

2. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I just want the next "Arkham" game to come out. That's all I care about right now with Batman. The funny thing is that I was more than happy to let TDKR be the end of the Nolan-verse, but with the way that it ended, I'm actually more excited to see a continuation than I was before.

3. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

Whatever it is lets just not do the origin over again. I didnt really like Nolans reimaging of it but we dont need to see it again. Just tell a good Batman story and the movie will make itself. The only thing they need to do is start to establish a single universe that all their characters exist in.

4. Gotham Central

Gotham Central Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm excited for a new Arkham game as well. Most folks in the know expect it to be a version of No Man's Land and encompass all of Gotham this time. This way we will finally get to visit Wayne Tower.

5. clint g

clint g Admiral Admiral

Prior to watching TDKR I was fully prepared and ready to leave the Nolan-verse behind and move on to a new take on the character. After watching it however, I want more films in this universe more than ever before. The ending of TDKR is just so ripe with possibilities :cool:

6. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

While I agree with you about the sense of finality, I think the comics have already shown how what you mentioned in your spoiler could actually be done without ruining that sense of finality.

I would love to see a live-action Batman TV show again, but there's no way we will see one anytime soon because there's so much money that can be made from the films. For TV the best route might be to go with a Batmanesque character (s) like Nightwing, Batgirl, Batwoman, Red Robin, Azrael, Huntress, The Question, or the Gotham PD.

What I would love to really see is that DC actually get some renewed confidence in some of their other properties and give a shot or another at Justice League, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Green Lantern, Static, and Flash for films or TV. But I also would love to see Suicide Squad, Black Lightning, Cyborg, or Blue Beetle.

7. Gotham Central

Gotham Central Vice Admiral Admiral

Thanks to Avengers WB/DC has renewed its interest in a Justice League movie. We will also be getting some form of Green Lantern sequel as well. If JL does OK, expect the players in that film to get their own stand alone films.

On TV. I'd love to see a Nightwing or Gotham Central series. A CW series about the grown up Titans would also rock (Raven, as I understand it was supposed to get her own show...but I don't know what happended with that). Its too bad nothing ever came of the proposed Starman series.

8. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

Having now seen TDKR, I'm convinced more than ever that Nolan's ultimate goal is to do a film-adapt of The Dark Knight Returns.

The ending of the film really sets it up perfectly, and several of the scenes shown in the con MoS trailer suggest they want to go that route with Clark.

Plus, for several reasons, Ollie is really big right now and he would be the next-best DC hero to pigeonhole into the Nolanverse. (This of course assuming MoS would be a part of it despite what Nolan has said.)

Throw in Selina's subplot that wasn't fully resolved and liberally apply it to a certain predicament she found herself in Returns, and suddenly you have your fourth (or fifth :shifty: ) JLA member. ;)

So "two birds" sort of speak.

9. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^
    I'm not so sure. I think Nolan already used aspects from Dark Knight Returns in Rises. Bruce's retirement, his abrupt return (and using an old and young cop to highlight that came directly from Returns), and the way the film ended, I don't think it sets up a Dark Knight Returns situation. I also can't see Catwoman in a Justice League film. A Birds of Prey film, yeah, but not the Justice League, as member of the League.

10. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Even with the ending we got in TDKR there are a number of ways you can do Catwoman. You can do something of an origin/establishing strory. You can a straight up adventure that predates TDKR. But you can also do a post TDKR without Bruce just by tossing in a few lines of reference in dialogue. A post TDKR allows you to depict Selena as something of a Simon Templar like character similar to how she was shown in the Darwyn Cooke stories. She's neither really a hero nor a genuine villain, but rather an operator outside of the law with her own code of conduct.

11. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Totally. Especially the whole faking his death thing which I had predicted.

12. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

How about a rest and let somebody else tackle Batman a few years from now?

13. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Which is probably what will happen.

That said I'm wondering about some form of online petition just to show TPTB the potential level of interest for a feature with Anne Hathaway as Catwoman.

14. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Hathaway or Levitt could do short films for the internet the way Thomas Jane did with The Punisher.

15. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

Some of what I'd like to see:

Don't redo the origin. Batman should be an already established hero maybe in his first year or two as Batman.

Use some of the more fantastical villains like Mr. Freeze, Poison Ivy, the shapeshifting Clayface or Man-Bat to distinguish it from the Nolanverse's more realistic villains. Or use Penguin and the Riddler.

Stay away from Schumacher camp but don't make it was dark as the Nolan films.

16. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

I don't want to see another origin story. Writers are lazy. They think the audience is stupid (and maybe the audience is). But a Superhero film that starts in medias res with a compelling story would be fantastic. Any superhero. I don't care how they became a superhero, I want to know what they can do with their superpowers. If you're a good writer, you can tell us how they became that superhero somewhere in the middle of the story, but I don't need 45 minutes of a 90 minute film devoted to the origin.

Superman Returns almost started out this way, but still tried to shoe-horn itself into the Donner movies. The first scene in the movie should have been Superman saving the jet. Of course, the rest of that movie had problems too, but that's why they're rebooting it.

I know it was only a minute long, but the clip from Entourage featuring James Cameron's Aquaman is exactly what I'd be looking for in an Aquaman movie. It wasn't cheesy. Everyone loves to rip on Aquaman for being lame, but they made him look legit.

17. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Definitely do not re-do the origin story! I don't wanna be bored to tears sitting through it again (*coughs*Amazing Spider-Man*coughs*).

I too would like a meta-human villain this time.

18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I have to agree on the origin story thing. At this point Batman's origin is enough of a part of pop culture that going over it again seems unnecessary. If they really want to do it, they can always go the Incredible Hulk route, and just play it out either through a couple of quick flashbacks, or get it out of the way during the credits.

As for Aquaman, how was the CW (or was it WB at the time) pilot?

19. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

Pretty awful.

20. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

Yeah, I didn't see it, but I heard it was pitiful. I really don't trust the CW to make a good show... Smallville was great during seasons 1-4, but took a serious nose-dive during season 5 and never recovered. They really should have ended the show after 4 seasons, but at the very least it was irresponsible to continue up to the 10th season.

The Aquaman I was referring to was the fake "movie" on the HBO show Entourage. Vinny Chase is cast as Aquaman with Mandy Moore as the love interest in James Cameron's adaptation. "In Show", the movie broke Spider-Man's then-record Box Office opening weekend.