DS9 Forum Welcome Thread: Hello fellow Niners!

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Disillusioned, May 30, 2009.

1. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Welcome to all the new Niners here. And to anyone who is trying DS9 for the first or second time, I envy you. I remember doing that a few years ago (When the DVDs were coming out) and it was a remarkable experience.

2. Odo You Didn't!

Odo You Didn't! Lieutenant Red Shirt

Another newbie here. Hello all. DS9 (and Voyager, in fact) are enjoying a resurgence in my life at the moment. My brother and I used to sit down together three nights a week to watch it. (It used to run on BBC2, where TNG was shown on a Wednesday night, DS9 on a Thursday and Voyager on a Sunday.) I miss the days of having a series that you follow weekly and look forward to - it's been somewhat ruined by the digital revolution.

The comments that have been made about DS9's relevance as time has gone on couldn't be more accurate. I always did like it because it was the darkest Star Trek. The themes are probably more relevant today than ever. Perhaps that's why I find myself drawn to it again.

FanST likes this.
  3. Unimatrix 01

Unimatrix 01 Lieutenant Red Shirt

It's good to be here. I actually finished DS9 a while ago and am on Voy but after I finish S7, I plan to rewatch DS9 all over again... Maybe it'll be like I never left... you think?

4. AdmiralGarak

AdmiralGarak Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Maybe. Rewatching DS9 never feels like watching a show that's been off the air for a decade. It feels like the show ended two or three years ago. The production values and plotlines, especially in later years, feel so current.

I like your screen name :)

5. Odo You Didn't!

Odo You Didn't! Lieutenant Red Shirt

^^ Thanks AdmiralGarak. I was lurking in the Voyager forum before I headed over to join ye Niners, so it was almost We'll Always Have Paris. Odo won out in the end though :techman:

I'm watching my way through S5 atm, but will have to stop at the end as I don't have S6. I think I'd forgotten how addictive it is. Damn Amazon for putting the DVD prices back up.

6. Crimea River

Crimea River Commander Red Shirt

Your username is awesome. XD

I'm currently watching through Deep Space Nine. When I was young (as you may have read in my intro on the other board) I saw a few DS9 episodes. Now that I've begun watching, I've realised this is my favourite of all of the Star Trek shows, perhaps even my favourite show ever (along with Stargate SG-1). I cannot get enough of it. I love the cast. I love the concepts. I love the stories in the episodes themselves. I love the space station itself.

7. PSGarak

PSGarak Commodore Commodore

I'm another lurker who finally decided to heck with lurking! Posting is what it's all about. I loved DS9 when it came out. To me it was completely superior to what had come before and remains so to what came after. However, due to a job I had during the original run, I never got to watch the series past season 4 and never managed to catch it in syndication. I don't have cable or satellite, but that's a different story.

So, I am now going through the series via Netflix. I just finished Season 1 and am starting Season 2. What is absolutely flooring me is how the series doesn't seem dated at all. If anything, it feels more relevant now than it did then, much like another series I dearly, dearly love, Babylon 5.

Even in the first season, there were a couple of breakout episodes. "Duet" comes instantly to mind with a performance from an actor I have long felt is under-appreciated in character roles, Harris Yulin. (Loved him in Buffy.) The energy and emotion between him and Nana Visitor are electrifying. I'm looking forward to Season 2 and rediscovering this show I never felt I got enough of.

Plus, Cardassians. CardassiansCardassiansCardassians. Did I say Cardassians? :cardie:

8. Thor Damar

Thor Damar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thor Damar, God of thunder and monologue..
    ^ You did indeed!:bolian:

Welcome to the DS9 forum PSGarak and may I say that it's good to see both a fellow Cardassian fan and a Niner who was introduced to the series via the excellence of Duet.

9. Crimea River

Welcome, PSGarak! *gives you a Garak plushie* I'm on Season 2, also! Want to watch along with me? ^_^ I'm a Cardassian fanatic as well. :cardie: BTW, Thor_Damar, I added you on YIM. ^^ If you have any messenger names, PSGarak, would love to chat (and RP with you) if you like; lol, same goes for everyone here. ^_^

10. PSGarak

Thanks for the welcomes, Thor Damar and Crimea River! There can never be too many Cardassian fans or DS9ers in my book. The more the merrier, and the plottier, and the craftier...ahem.

I don't currently have any chat accounts. I weaned myself off of them a while back because I found I actually get way more work done if I maintain computer discipline. Imagine that! At any rate, if I ever get tempted to wade back into the world of online RP, I'll be sure to give you a shout, Crimea River. In the mean time, I'll let you know when the first season 2 disc arrives, and we can discuss eps if you'd like. :) It'll be a little while. I have a few movies in between the seasons.

11. Crimea River

Once we both become regular members, there's PM too. ^^ Cardassians are indeed made of pure win. :cardie: I hope that you do, indeed, get back into RPing; it's really fun, and I like playing around with random plotlines on the DS9 station, as well as playing out the Occupation (always interesting ^^;). Anyway, would love to know when you do get Season 2. ^^ I'm currently on the second episode, myself.

12. DevilEyes

DevilEyes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You have excellent tastes, PSGarak! I also feel that the Cardies are made of win (by far the most complex, well developed alien society in any Trek) and I also fell in love with the show thanks to "Duet". Actually, DS9 was the first Trek I really got hooked on - even though it was not the first Trek I saw - and therefore it started my real interest in Trek in general. I watched season 1 of TNG on TV when I was about 13 (unfortunately, only season 1 was broadcast in my country), and I liked it, but it was responsible for me thinking for quite a while that Trek was kiddie stuff. Those early seasons of TNG really look naive and dated now - more dated that most of TOS, even. Later TNG is a different story, but still, DS9, for the most part, looks more mature and relevant. (Well, apart from most of the Ferengi episodes and a few other 'humorous' episodes.)

(I rewatched TNG and DS9 on TV, and in the middle of DS9's run, I think it was during some of the most exciting parts of the Dominion war storyarc, the TV channel made a mistake and aired "Time's Arrow" instead. They corrected the mistake the next day and aired the DS9 episode they missed, but it gave me an opportunity to compare the two shows once again, and I was struck by how naive and lightweight TNG looked in comparison.)

I've planned to watch B5 for a while. I've only seen "The Gathering" and the first episode of season 1 so far, but haven't had time to watch further- when I do, I'll watch the rest. So far, I like what I've seen. Well, "The Gathering" was so-so, just OK, but I really liked "Midnight on the Firing Line".

Last edited: Jul 25, 2009
  13. PSGarak

I agree with you about TNG. It took them a while to get their legs. At the time it stared airing, I was just so excited that they were renewing the Trek TV franchise that I was willing to wade through some not so stellar episodes to give them a chance to develop. I very rarely judge a tv series based on their first season, but if they don't start stepping up to the plate by mid-season 2, I usually quit watching. TNG did at least improve.

B5's weakest season is Season 1; however, once you've had a chance to watch the series, you're going to realize that there is way more going on in that first season than it looks like the first go around. Unlike most of Trek, there are no real stand alone episodes of B5. It continually builds on the story, and it starts throwing in complex plot elements from the very beginning. In a way I envy you getting to go through it for that first time! If you love the Cardassians from Trek because of their complexity, then you are in for a real treat with the alien races of B5.

14. Aubergine

Aubergine Lieutenant Red Shirt

Hi, I'm new, and a DS9er to the core! It is my staunch and unwavering belief that it is superior over all other Trek series and I'm not ashamed of that fact. Any series that can give us characters like Kira and Dax? Seriously, I love it really hard.

I'm big into the post-series novels, as well, though they've slowed to a trickle in recent years.

As I said, I'm a big Dax fan, Kira too, though I prefer her characterization in the novels. And I'm a Sisko fan to the core as well -- all three generations. :D

15. PSGarak

Welcome, Aubergine! Glad to have a new member to join the madness.

16. mattyhugh

mattyhugh Commander Red Shirt

Madness? Do we need our own Feestivaal! The Festival!!

17. anouk

anouk Ensign Newbie

Hello everyone, I already introduced myself in the members lounge but since ds9 is my favourite star trek show I thought I would do it here as well. Note that I have not checked out (and am reluctant to do so( enterprise yet and I have not checked the tng movies but I never was a big fan of the star trek movies anyway. I am blind in rl ((no joke) but that often does not matter with star trek because its all abouit the plots and characters, not so with the movies though... Anyway I think ds9 is great (although it does give less of the moral messages that Roddenberry originally put in star trek) i love its intricate character development and its continuity which is obviously missing with most of the other series although voyager also has it to a lesser extend. I love that it does not only focus on the captain but also on the other characters and even more minor characters. Sisko is nor my favourite captain though, especially for the first few seasons because he does not seem to have much of a presence or authority at that time. Indeed ds9 in general does seem to be underappreciated if you ask the general public and I think that is a great pity because I do think it is wonderful. It is my favourite of the series along with tos (tos mainly because of the storylines and Spock). My favourite ds9 character is Odo hands down.
    I cannot say though that I am a fan of the ds9 novels, I have really tried to read through many of them but it just seems like they were all hastily written things by authors that have no love for the series at all.
    Greetings, Anouk,

18. Thor Damar

Thor Damar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thor Damar, God of thunder and monologue..
    Greetings anouk, and welcome to the greatest forum on the trekbbs.:rommie:

And if you don't like the novels I suggest that you try A stitch in time by Andrew J.Robinson (who played Elim Garak) a truly wonderful novel that examines one of the greatest aspects of DS9, the cardassian people.
    (yes, there are several Cardassians running around here but don't worry we're (mostly) harmless...)

19. anouk

anouk Ensign Newbie

Hello and thanks for the welcome, unfortunately I think I am rather done with the ds9 novels, I might try the other novels (in the other star trek categories) to see if there is a good one there but thus far I have been rather disappointed especially if I read the reviews on amazon and then what I think about a certain novel. Fanfiction on the other hand now thats an entirely different story.
    I myself do not have great loe for many cardassians although I rather liked Garak and had a certain morbid fascination with Dukat (finally a well-developed bad guy in star trek and one with humor at htat!). I thought it was a bit of a pity that he turned totally evil in the end although I loved the episode in which he finally lost it. I think it was a very good decision though (and a very good insight by nana visitor) not to have any relationship evolve between Dukat and Nerys, it would have brought the Nerys character down. This is not to say that i did not find Dukat's attraction for Nerys eternally fascinating...
    I thought they could have used Garak a bi tmore and developed his character a bit more but if you think that he originally was only planned to act in one episode I guess it turned out allright. Especially The Torture Scene!
    Greetings, Anouk,

20. seigezunt

seigezunt Vice Admiral Admiral

I have to pipe up here and just say that I LOVE DS9! I've slowly been re-watching the TNG-era shows after having lost interest in the 90s, and I am enjoying DS9 the best. I'm now in the third season, and I realize that I didn't get as far as the end of the second season when it was on (though I think I recall seeing some later eps, liek I recall the whole Pah wraiths bit).

It's really, really good.