Would worf actually physically, killing his brother, have been stronge

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by WesleysDisciple, Mar 12, 2013.

1. WesleysDisciple

WesleysDisciple Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I keep thinking the episode would have been stronger if kurn had physically died, then if hed had his memories deleted and become a new person.

For one thing it seemed to be trying to avoid ticking some right wingers with anti suicide stances.

2. Iliana Malek

Iliana Malek Lieutenant Red Shirt

Re: Would worf actually physically, killing his brother, have been str

I think it would have been a more interesting ending. It seems to me that the Klingons, at least initially (TOS and the original films)were somewhat modeled on Samurai culture, though they seemed to lose that as later series elaborated on the culture. Suicide over disgrace/dishonor would have tied into the Klingon as Space Samurai model nicely.

3. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Anything would have been better than the ending we got.

I would have rather he found a glorious battle to die in.

4. LiLiKitty

LiLiKitty Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I agree entirely. Wiping Kurn's memory was one of worst ideas of DS9.

5. Worf'sParmach

Worf'sParmach Commander Red Shirt

Though i agree that an actual death would have been much better, I doubt it had anything to do with upsetting right-wingers.

That or he should have come back later on. It was such a bad end to such a great character.

6. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Even worse that Worf never even thinks about the guy when Worf got his honor back.

You know, how he ultimately destroyed Kurn for nothing?

7. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Either way it would have been for nothing. Kurn was being a whiney little bitch about the whole honor thing. Had he waited a year, they would have both got their honor back. No need for suicides or mind wipes or shit.

8. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

In "A Matter of Honor", Klag similarly suffered from a dishonorable kinsman, but unlike Kurn, he certainly didn't wallow in despair. Then again, Klag only had a dishonorable father - Kurn and Worf suffered from a collective debasement of the entire House of Mogh. Apparently, being captured alive was less of a crime than selling out an entire planet to Romulans, so the punishment was narrower in scope, too.

In any case, Worf generally benefited as a character whenever he was a badass or an alien, i.e. when he murdered or insulted or cheated or stonewalled where a human would have showed compassion. Trying out all the possible options and then, just before end credits, nevertheless sending Kurn to Sto-vo-kor would probably have worked out very well indeed. Especially if all the clever and humane machinations of the rest of the characters were setting up a happy ending for Kurn, but they also made it possible for Worf to give Kurn an especially honorable end.

Say, perhaps Kurn was going to be memory-wiped and sent to a safe fate A - but Worf took advantage of this and derailed Kurn to a glorious fate B, perhaps a suicide mission under "false" identity or something.

Timo Saloniemi

9. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I always think about that.

Klingons :rolleyes:

10. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Why didn't the writers bring back Tony Todd after Worf got his Honor back with Martok and just have it turn out Bashir's mindwipe wasn't successful?

11. SoM

SoM Captain Captain

Here's the thing - Worf may have, personally, been better off through Martok admitting him to his own house - but the House of Mogh and everyone else in it were still destitute and dishonoured thanks to Gowron.

Because it would have been a cop-out?

12. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

So get Kurn to join like Alexander did.

And wiping out Kurn's memory, for what turned out to be nothing, wasn't major character assassination for Worf?

13. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

Given the cop out ending we got, I always had the feeling that Kurn was intended to return at some point. Given the war and all the Klingons at the station its surprising they never had a chance encounter between brothers.

14. Worf'sParmach

Worf'sParmach Commander Red Shirt

That might not have been as easy as it seems. Martok asked Worf to join his house because Worf saved him on more than one occaision. And when he asked him, he thought Worf was alone, he didn't even know about Alexander. Asking Worf to join his house does not automatically mean everyone related to him gets to join. It's like if you invite a friend to come over and they show up with a bunch of other people you didn't even know about.

I felt the same way. I just knew we'd see Kurn again and this would ge "fixed" somehow. Klingons are supposed to have super strong, redundant physiologies that heal quickly so what's to say that Bashir's mind wipe would actually stick, you know?