The Sombrero Galaxy

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Ptrope, Aug 10, 2008.

1. Ptrope

Ptrope Agitator Admiral

Given the tenor of this board for the last couple months, this may be seen as a joke, but it's not - I just ran across this today, while looking at a collection of Hubble photos online.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sombrero_Galaxy

It was first discovered in 1767, and appears to have a supermassive black hole (1 billion times the mass of Sol) at its center, among the most massive detected in any nearby galaxy.

Pretty cool!

2. DontFeedPhil

DontFeedPhil Fleet Captain

Umm someone needs to edit that wiki article to show one of our sombreros in place of that first image. That would be cool. But I suck at photoshop.

3. TerriO

TerriO Writer-type human Premium Member

That wouldn't be a suggestion to vandalize Wikipedia, would it? :vulcan:

4. Samuel T. Cogley

Samuel T. Cogley Vice Admiral Admiral

I posted this link in the sombrero thread! I don't know how you could have missed it, what with only a bajillion posts in that thread. :rolleyes:

5. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

Not only that, but I seem to recall someone Photoshoppping a sombrero onto the Sombrero Galaxy at one point or another....

6. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Also remembering the Galaxy putting in an appearance in the image seen here (from almost exactly four weeks ago.)

Yes, there be nerds afoot.

Edit:

APOD has also got some very nifty images, such as this multiple-color set. Links to more details and images of M104 may be found here.