Veronica Mars Movie - Kickstarter

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by superdeluxe, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

How much did
    James Franco
    cost?

Did you see who his assistant was?

Sure she's only 23, but I was wow, who is that Gorgeous nerd!?

And now I have to go back to watching her on The Middle next week where she's playing a 14 year old, still consumed by these confused demanding feelings.

2. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

http://tvline.com/2014/03/16/veronica-mars-movie-sequel-chinatown/

Because once again this was a fan funded movie, it Rob Thomas made the movie he wanted Veronica would have been an FBI agent. Didn't because of fans paying for it.

The next movie won't (or shouldn't) be fan funded, so the first one would have to make say 10 million or whatever to make a sequel possible. It's not just making

3. Campe

Campe Vice Admiral Admiral

$10 million? Not bloody likely. Even if it were to get the $2.5 million they were predicting this weekend? Wouldn't happen. This movie is not even playing in every major market. It is only playing in AMC theaters at the moment and there are a lot of areas that don't have that chain. (Here's the list. Kinda lopsided, don't you think?) Again, it's not playing where I'm living -- the Greater Nashville area. It's not even playing in my state! Granted, I just moved from Peoria, Illinois and it's all over the state there... but, ya know, it ain't playing in Peoria.

So, as I've been trying to say, bigdaddy, and you've been ignoring for what are normally fair rules about film:

Typical box office rules do not apply here.

You cannot utilize box office results alone in order to prove whether this movie is successful or not. People will not necessarily travel for this. You have to take VOD into account here. I paid $7 to rent this sucker at home. I'm about to put down $20 so I can own my own digital copy of it this weekend, just to put in for the cause of seeing a sequel. And we aren't going to see those numbers for awhile. We may not see them at all.

I'm ultimately not saying that you're wrong. We may not see a sequel. I'd say we're 50/50 right now still. But I'm not willing to call gloom and doom until we see how it did in people's homes.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2014
  4. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, that
    and who the hell ran into Keith and Sacks?

5. bigdaddy

I'd like to know how he figured it was number one somehow, but whatever I'll take it.

http://tvline.com/2014/03/17/veronica-mars-movie-earnings-box-office-opening-weekend/

6. Campe

The TVLine article omits some pretty significant information. The article links to another article at EW where it explains.

7. bigdaddy

It's still not number one. The Grand Hotel movie made $55,000 a screen.

But thanks for the better link. I no longer read EW.com because I hate their new website.

8. Campe

Maybe not. But hey, WB is happy. I'm happy.

And perhaps I bolded the wrong part. It indicated it was number one "in most complexes." That's great.

9. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

10. bigdaddy

It opened near me, but I don't know of the theater. I'll see if my mom wants to go see it (she is the only fan I know of besides an ex that lives 300 miles away).

But I think everyone needs to continue to ask...

Will there beanother Veronica Mars movie? ;)

Rob Thomas you created a monster, now you must live with it! :lol:

11. Turtletrekker

It's a shame that they aren't releasing the VOD numbers. I'd be very interested in the ratio of ticket sales against download.

12. Campe

Agreed. I hope they do release the numbers but I'm doubting they will. If they do, it'll be a month or two.

13. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This article, appropriately titled "The Veronica Mars Movie, and the Trouble With Getting What You Want," nicely sums up my feelings about the movie:

14. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I went a little insane that the show was cancelled while she was still on the Piz merrygoround.

It was the wrong freaking guy!

15. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

It was only upon re-watching the series that I realized how truly short a time Veronica and Piz were together. It was really only 3-4 shows.

16. Turtletrekker

17. selina

selina Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

18. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

What's wrong with Piz? Out of all the guys who are not Logan he was probably the best.

I just got back from the movie, that was extremely satisfying. Despite having it out with a few of you here, I am really grateful I followed your advice and watched the show first. And I'm grateful I saw it in theaters too, even if there were only a handful of people.

I suppose if I have any complaints about the film, it's that the mystery was solved a bit too easily. It always felt a little harder for Veronica in the show. But I also chalked that up to a 22 episode season versus a 2 hour movie, so maybe it's not quite a nit after all

19. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd say the complexity of the mystery is on par with that of most episodic mysteries.

20. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

And for anyone who can resist that, try listening to the sample while the score by Josh Kramon plays. I think I'll have the score on a loop throughout the whole book. :)

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ynLSsxhzyo[/yt]
    [yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmiR61WCa1w[/yt]