Playmates Enterprise-D Repaint

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Scully, May 27, 2013.

1. Scully

Scully Cadet Newbie

Hello! I hope this is in the right place, I'm totally new here.

On Saturday, I picked up a Playmates Enterprise-D. When I got the box open I was somewhat dispirited - I wanted it to hang from the ceiling in my room and I thought that while a fair amount of the detail was there, it was really lacking. So tonight, I ordered a new set of decals (I don't think the original ones have ever been applied as there is no sticky residue and no sign of them) and picked up my paintbrush.

I'm hoping to post progress pictures as I go and also hope that I can get some guidance and pointers from some more experienced fans and model makers along the way :)

Before:
    I'm sure most people have seen this bad boy as it comes out of the box

Stage 1: Painting the top of the saucer - Still WIP

[​IMG]

Does any one have any suggestions for me at this early stage?

2. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Planning on doing this with mine soon. At this point I'm looking around for metallic paints and researching old photos of the three main shooting models.

3. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Good job so far :3

4. Atolm

Atolm Commodore Commodore

Woah, Sweet!

5. Scully

Scully Cadet Newbie

Cheers guys! Hopefully I'll be able to gain some knowledge about electronic upgrades and have a little play with all the lights.

6. Monkiki

Monkiki Cadet Newbie

That looks like a great start. I JUST picked up one of these a couple days ago along with a Playmates STNG Shuttlecraft, Tricorder and Klingon Vor'cha and am planning to update/restore them. What did you use to fill in the Enterprise windows? I'm thinking of using a Sharpie for simplicity but not sure it would look quite right.

7. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

I actually just found mine last night! It was in a box in the back of my closet and I was trying to find something else in that box, but I was dismayed to see how old and yellowed the plastic had become over the years. :(

Still - yours looks amazing!

8. SchwEnt

SchwEnt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I know the Playmates Ent-D came in two colors.

The first release had no stand and a gray color.

The second release came with a stand and a more blue hull color.

9. NCC-1701-B

NCC-1701-B Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If you want to go for the original colour of the D, she was a mid grey with a green aztec pattern.

[​IMG]

If I were you I'd not bother with the aztec, sometimes on a small scale model it can make it look too busy, just some nice decals and the detail painting you're doing look great!

Good luck with it! I've got the battle damaged version from generations, but the blow off panels are missing :(

10. Monkiki

Monkiki Cadet Newbie

I ended up going with a fine tip Sharpie for the windows on mine. Looks good. I need to get around to rewiring the lighting since it no longer functions. Also used a blue Sharpie to color the backside of the deflector in hopes that it'll shine a little truer once the lighting works.

11. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

The best saucer replica was the Hot Wheels toy. The side view of that saucer is spot on perfect. The impulse drive is nice and wide and not boxy. I think some folks were working on an aftermarket impulse to go on the model kits.