Dominion War Episodes Only

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Nathan, Jul 1, 2010.

1. Nathan

Nathan Commander Red Shirt

Just want to say DS9 is probably my fav of all the series. A few years back I watched them all on DVD. Thinking again of dusting off the DVDs.

I thought about just watching the Dominion War Episodes and think of it as one huge movie/miniseries so-to-speak and not watch the "stand alones"/doesn't really add to the Dominion War episodes.

Does anyone have a listing of Dominion War specific episodes etc??

Thanks in advance.

2. flemm

flemm Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Basically:

Season 2
    The Jem'Hadar

Season 3
    The Search 1 & 2
    The Abandoned*
    Improbable Cause/The Die is Cast
    The Adversary

Season 4
    The Way of the Warrior
    Hippocratic Oath*
    Starship Down
    Homefront/Paradise Lost
    To the Death
    Broken Link

Season 5
    Apocalypse Rising
    The Ship
    Rapture*
    In Purgatory's Shadow/By Inferno's Light
    Soldiers of the Empire*
    In the Cards*
    Call to Arms

Season 6
    First six episodes (Occupation Arc)
    The Magnificent Ferengi*
    One Little Ship*
    In the Pale Moonlight
    Valiant*
    Tears of the Prophets

Season 7
    Image in the Sand/Shadows and Symbols
    Treachery, Faith and the Great River
    Once More Unto the Breach*
    The Siege of AR-558
    It's Only a Paper Moon*
    Chimera*
    Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges
    Final 8 episodes + WYLB

The Dominion "hot war" doesn't really start until "In Purgatory's Shadow/By Inferno's Light" in season 5 or technically perhaps as late as "Call to Arms," but I've included first contact and the cold war period. Astericks indicate episodes that involve the Jem'Hadar without impacting the war much, or that contribute to the overall Dominion War storyline in some relatively minor way. There may be a few I've neglected or could arguably be included alongside these, but I think that's most of them.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2010
  3. carlmarx

carlmarx Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

^ I'd just add Statistical Probablilities to that list cuz it shows Damar taking over for Dukat and foreshadows what his relationship with Weyoun would be like, plus features a major strategic action by the Dominion in the war, picked up on by the Jack Pack.

4. ialfan

ialfan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'd also add Waltz showing Dukat's escape as a POW and his descent into madness. Change of Heart featuring Work and Dax's mission to rescue a Cardassian defector seems a logical choice as well. Both are in season six.

5. InklingStar

InklingStar Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I would add Rules of Acquisition to the very beginning. At that point the Dominion is still a formless mysterious menace. It makes the reveal of the Jem'Hadar in their titular episode quiet satisfying.

6. Nathan

Thanks to all who posted. I'll be watching all that you everyone listed....again, i'll have to see if watchin in those episodes will feel like a mega miniseries.

7. Navaros

Navaros Commodore Commodore

What you are asking, Nathan, cannot really be done in a thorough way, because DS9 doesn't work like that.

The Dominion War and its characters are often featured in episodes that are not mainly about it.

flemm's list for example, is missing amazing Dominion-related scenes from episodes that are excluded from it, like Ties of Blood and Water and Statistical Probabilities.

As another example, In the Cards also features the Dominion prominently and the tensions about the war that is about to start, even though it is not mainly about the Dominion War persay.

8. Nathan

Navaros, thanks for the input...I'm going to add the episodes that others have mentioned as well. I agree with you that DS9 wasn't designed as "Dominion War Only" but if I get the bulk of the Dominion War/Dominion War build-up episodes I'd be satisified.

I guess I remember when i watch them straight thru a few years back I was all into the Dominion War Arc then some stand alone came along (yeah, it probably had some War references, but you could do without it).

I'm not just in the mood to watch 7 sevens of DS9 and just want a Dominion War flavor -- and really I'm looking for a miniseries feel.

Nathan

9. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'd add two S3 episodes because even if it wasn't obvious at the time, the events they depict were precursors to the war: Defiant and Visionary. The latter may seem like an odd choice, but what if blowing up DS9 was the Romulans' Plan A, and being thwarted forced them to move on to Plan B, which was depicted in Improbable Cause/The Die is Cast? ;)

10. Nathan

I gonna add them..and yeah, I suppose you could stretch some of them to see if they really play into the Dominion War Arc, but hey if I have few extre episodes to watch, all the better.

11. InklingStar

In the end, Navaros is right - DS9 is such an arc-based, serialized show that even episodes that seemingly have nothing to do with the Dominion arc are still part of its tapestry.

When I was a teenager I once edited together a VHS tape of all the Dominion episodes from seasons 2, 3, and 4. I think I included The Jem'Hadar, The Search, The Abandoned, Defiant, Heart of Stone, Improbable Cause, The Die Is Cast, The Adversary, and The Way of the Warrior. And then I ran out of tape. But even then I realized I could have added Rules of Acquisition and Visionary, perhaps even Sanctuary and Shadowplay for some early references.

Just go for the gusto and watch it from beginning to end. :)

12. flemm

This always ends up being the best advice of course, but for someone who as already seen the whole show and just wants to get back in on some of the action, there's nothing wrong with a Dominion War sampler :techman:

13. Pemmer Harge

Pemmer Harge Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This can get kind of complicted: Ties of Blood and Water is an important Dominion episode in that it re-introduces Weyoun, but to appreciate it you really need to have already seen Second Skin, which doesn't feature the Dominion at all. Then there's Blaze of Glory, which is set against the backdrop of impending war with the Dominion and uses the Jem'Hadar as baddies, but is also the end of a three episode story arc, the first parts of which have no Dominion involvement.

14. InklingStar

That opens up quite a can of worms. To really get Blaze of Glory you have to see For the Cause and For the Uniform. But for those to really have an impact you'd have to at least watch The Maquis, and maybe throw in TNG's Journey's End to get that ball rolling. :)

15. Enterprise1981

Enterprise1981 Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd also include "Afterimage" illustrating Garak's contributions to the allies and the tremendous burden of going against his own people and also the Dominion's use of Cardassian troops as cannon fodder.

16. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

By the time this thread reaches 100 posts, every episode will be added. :lol:

Jinn likes this.
  17. flemm

It's all, like... interconnected, man. ;)

18. Enterprise1981

Enterprise1981 Vice Admiral Admiral

I can see opening a can of worms. To truly get "Once More Unto the Breach", you'd have to have seen "The Sword of Kahless" and "Blood Oath." On the other side, most of us can agree that "Extreme Measures" was the weak link in the 10 episode arc to close out the series.

19. flemm

In this particular case, though, the OP has already seen the show, so it's no big deal.

Yep :techman:

20. InklingStar

And of course to truly get Blood Oath you really should go back to TOS and watch Errand Of Mercy, The Trouble With Tribbles, and Day Of The Dove. It never ends!