My Sister is Dying

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by 1001001, Dec 27, 2008.

1. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

You have my sympathies. His alcoholism and destructive and abusive behavior is what ended my relationship with my brother almost six years ago. I think about him often and wonder where he is, but the memory of his abusiveness toward our family keeps me from trying to contact him. I'm sure it would just be more of the same.

Good luck.

2. ShamelessMcBundy

ShamelessMcBundy Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm so sorry man. I lost a friend to alcoholism and cancer, so i know what it's like and it really sucks. :(

3. Cali

Cali Admiral Admiral

I'm so sorry, Digits. :(

4. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

Yeah, there's been some of that. Crazy drama that comes with addiction.

But now that we're at the end, I do remember when we were younger, and some of the fond memories we have.

5. Lookingglassman

Lookingglassman Admiral Admiral

This is sad. Is there a reason your sister started drinking. Did she have any problems like an abusive husband or some other trauma she was trying to escape from?

I wish you and your family the very best and I also hope your sister finds the peace she was seeking.

6. bod

bod Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So very sorry to hear about your sister Mr Digits you & your family will be in my thoughts.

7. 1001001

Thanks.

It's great to see one of the Original Voyager Babes.

:techman:

8. the 4th hanson bro

the 4th hanson bro No one can resist my Schweddy Balls Admiral

Sorry to heat that digits.

Take care of yourself and remember the good times you both had together. Your strength is comforting to your sister.

9. TorontoTrekker

TorontoTrekker Vice Admiral Admiral

My thoughts are with you and your family, digits.

My ex-mother-in-law died of cirrhosis about eleven years ago. She'd been to rehab, but I think that her son's leaving me might have been one of the triggers that drove her to start drinking again. :(

10. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

And mine as well. I'm truly saddened to hear this. :(

11. FrontLine

FrontLine Nekkid Hedonistic Ethical Slut Admiral

Damn Digits, Im so sorry for you , your family and her. You will have my prayers and thoughts.

12. Top41

Top41 Vice Admiral Moderator

Oh, Digits, I'm so sorry to hear about your sister. :( You and your family are in my thoughts. What a terrible thing to have to go through. :( I'm so very, very sorry.

13. Capt_Piett

Capt_Piett Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sorry to hear what you're going through. Alcoholism is one of those sad things that you can't help a person to get better unless they want to get better, and often times they won't even acknowledge they have a problem to start with. :( My thoughts are with you, and if you can take any solace from what's happening, it should be that her suffering will soon be over and she'll be in a better place.

14. 1001001

She would never admit to being an alcoholic, let alone seek treatment for it. Even when her life depended on it.

A few weeks ago she was insisting the doctors mis-diagnosed another problem, and that is what's causing her demise. It would be funny if it wasn't so tragic.

I teach a class in our rehab once a week called "The Hijacked Brain". One of the central tenets is: "What's invisible to you is obvious to everyone else."

It's certainly true in her case.

15. TheLonelySquire

TheLonelySquire Vice Admiral

I'm so sorry for her and for your family. My deepest sympathies go out to all of you.

16. MANT!

MANT! Vice Admiral Admiral

I can only offer you and yours my heartfelt sympathies in this very difficult time..use the hospice staff to help you through this, as you know, they have a lot of knowledge to offer you...

17. melancholymecha

melancholymecha Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Im so sorry. Ive had to deal with alcoholism in my family as well. :(

18. T'Bonz

T'Bonz Romulan Curmudgeon Administrator

I'm so sorry to hear of this, Digits.

19. K'Ehleyr

K'Ehleyr Commodore Commodore

So sorry to hear of your situation, I can empathise.
    Re: above, it was only when someone that I really respected at work pointed out that drinking vodka at 10.30 in the morning and totally denying it was not a good thing. I did work in a bar though and was totally bored and did it to escape. Stupid and inadequate excuse but was the only one I relied on. Trouble is a drinker has three sets of friends, those that find it hilarious and have problems themselves, those that hate it but don't say anything and those wonderful ones that have time, understanding and patience to help. You are definately in the 3rd catagory. Having got myself a kiss-ass doctor who blood tests me weekly I designed my own recovery plan and took my alcohol intake down by 90%. It's very hard but to not look like a Simpson family member anymore is great and once you get used to seeing the world through sober eyes it gets good. Alcoholism may be an illness but it's also very self-indulgent and a horrendous thing for a family to go through I wish you the very best and can only say you did the best that you could. Kx

20. Laren

Laren Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm very sorry to hear about this.