Has there ever been a good reason...

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by Bry_Sinclair, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Actually a formfitting costume can be justified as providing support and freedom of movement. That's why athletes wear formfitting garments. And particularly a futuristic, high-tech garment would benefit from being formfitting in that it could provide dynamic support to the muscles and joints, wick away perspiration and dirt, regulate body temperature, and the like. The only benefit of a looser garment, in that case, would be modesty, which is an arbitrary cultural convention that someone like Seven of Nine or T'Pol, would have little regard for. It is, after all, illogical to compromise efficiency and practicality for the sake of the emotion of embarrassment.

Although, admittedly, that would be far more plausible an explanation if we had seen male Vulcan officers dress in equally formfitting garments. For me, the problem isn't that Seven and T'Pol dressed that way, it's that nobody else did.

2. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Yea, T'Pol and Kira, were more the Action/Adventure type, so the athletic bnefits of the form fitting clothes could be used for them, but, Seven and Troi, don't really fit that category since Seven wore her cat suits all the time, even with months of no planet around to land on for Action/Adventure, and Troi was a Councilor, so, her job typically didn't involve any Action/Adventure

3. Christopher

Seven's "catsuit" was initially meant to be a garment that protected her skin as it healed and to replace some of the functions of her Borg exoskeleton. (According to behind-the-scenes interviews, the high heels allegedly contained extra bits of tech that she couldn't do without, like balance-enhancing mechanisms. Supposedly the Doctor placed them there to avoid unsightly bulges elsewhere.) Although that doesn't really justify why she kept wearing it for four years.

As for Troi, well, we know that Betazoids aren't much for body modesty. Maybe close-fitting garments are simply their fashion.

4. Sindatur

Sure. My point was, though, Moore had no business capping on Seven's Catsuit as nothing but "Eye Candy", while thinking nothing of putting Troi in something that's no different

5. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

I assume he meant erotic content. As in, Seven never even actually got it on with anyone.

At least Seven wasn't Starfleet.

6. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Here are Moore's comments about VOY:

Skip to "PART IV: RON MOORE WORKS ON STAR TREK: VOYAGER" section to get to the catsuit comments.

http://www.lcarscom.net/rdm1000118.htm

7. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's just what people wore in the future.

By the time Seven rolled around, there was nothing oversexualized or gratuitous about what she was wearing at all.

I didn't understand the fuss the week the episode came out, and I still don't.

All this talk about Seven's incontinence is leaving a bad taste in my mouth.

8. Thete

Thete Ensign Red Shirt

Interesting point.

That said, if that's not the case, and men and women objectify one another and dress to impress in such a way, that may not be a bad thing ever. True acceptance of sexual desire is a long way of IMO.

I'll stop posting this sort of thing now as I may or may not know what I'm talking abou. ;)

9. BruntFCA

BruntFCA Commander Red Shirt

Moore took Troi OUT of the catsuit and put her into a starfleet uniform. He had nothing to do with Troi being in the catsuit originally.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  10. Christopher

^Right, since Moore didn't come on staff until season 3.

11. Guy Gardener

Absent not lazy.

Got it.

12. Nx-01fan

Nx-01fan Ensign Newbie

Now I may have this wrong, and with all the fanfic I read, it's not implausible, but I thought T'Pol's catsuits had a thermal element to them to keep her at comfortable and manageable temperature because Enterprise would have been set to a human's comfort level, not a Vulcan's.

Having said that, if that is true, what about Phlox......thank goodness we never saw him in a catsuit. SHUDDER!

13. Christopher

In that case, Mirror T'Pol must've been terribly cold in her midriff-baring uniform and later in a 23rd-century miniskirt. For that matter, T'Pol Prime's nightclothes were fairly flimsy, but maybe her quarters were warmer than the rest of the ship. Nobody ever seemed to mention that, though.

14. Sindatur

Ah, my bad, misunderstanding of "It was Ron Moore's idea to put Troi in the Uniform"

15. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There you go! ;)

16. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

It is funny that she was the only Vulcan in the High Command that wore that uniform, surely it would be logical to have a standard uniform for all personnel rather than waste time and resources designing and making several types.

Her S3 outfits have a practicality factor, allowing freedom of movement, etc, but once in Starfleet their uniforms prove to be more than suitable for the purpose so she should have switched, there were no reasons for her not to.

There is that possibility, but that large chunk missing from her chest would have caused heating/cooling problems. If in a Starfleet uniform she could have a pair of long-johns underneath if she found the human standard too cold.

It was bad enough known he's a nudist. Really, why did they have to expose us to that?

17. Guy Gardener

On all away missions Phlox went on, they brought an extra guy, just to help with Phlox's decontamination gel rub down on the way back.

18. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

These were the ENT-era redshirts.

19. bluedana

bluedana Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Doesn't she wear the standard VHC robes in Broken Bow?. They wouldn't be appropriate or safe for life on board Enterprise.

20. Christopher

^She wears diplomatic robes in "Broken Bow." The Vulcan High Command uniform for male officers was rather different from T'Pol's outfit, with similar lines to the collar and shoulders but nowhere near as formfitting and without the pattern:

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Vulcan_uniform#Duty_uniform_2