Uhura replacing McCoy/Bones?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by serenitytrek1, Jan 15, 2013.

1. serenitytrek1

serenitytrek1 Commander

I just thought i start a light hearted conversation. This topic has been in my mind for quite some time however I started to think about it more after some IMDB users began to point it out.

Most people argue that in the JJ Universe uhura is now the 3rd lead and Bones has been made into a secondary character.

The synopsis of the new film even states that our three heroes : Kirk, Spock and Uhura head out to capture the bad guy. (or something like that).

Some TOS purists are not happy that the Kirk-Bones-Spock trinity has been dismissed and replaced with Uhura.its not like they hate her character they just feel that it should always be the 3 male guys off on an adventure. some have even accusesed JJ Abrams of pushing a feminist agenda by leting Uhura take Bones part.

However others have dismissed this argument, Some argue that JJ is taking a modern approach to the franchise as things have changed since the 60’s in other words you need a female to go toe to toe with the males. Its the only way you can have a broad audience.

The biggest franchises of the last 15 years such as harry potter, star wars, pirates of the carribean and even the new hunger games series have all had a mixed gender in the leading roles such as,

anakin, obiwan padme
    harry,ron,hermoine
    katniss,gale,peeta,
    Jack Sparrow, Elizabeth swan, Will Turner
    Neo, Trinity and Moepheus.

So...What do you guys think? are you comfortable that uhura replaced Bones as one of the big three or do you prefer the TOS universe where it was male dominated with kirk/spock/bones.

I personally have mixed feeling about this topic as I am some where in the middle.however I do prefer 2 males and 1 female as leading trio (I guess it is my love for the Harry Potter series talking) so kirk-uhura-spock works fine for me. however I want the female to do more and not just be a cute love intrest to one of the males like the awful Twiight series or the Transformer series.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
  2. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

i wouldn't mind but mccoy is my favorite character. why cant there be 4 big heroes? screens wide enough.

3. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I really don't see any issue here at all. If anything, it's good that Uhura is finally getting her moment. Hell, for the first 42 years of the franchise she didn't have a first name and the only thing memorable she did was force a guy into a closet at gun point.

Giving her a more significant role is one of the few things Abrams is doing correct since he's finally developing an underdeveloped character and he's actually doing something unique with his Star Trek.

Yeah, we all love Bones and Karl Urban is great in the role, but so what if these movies have a different dynamic than TOS and its movies? Isn't the opportunity to do something different the reason to do a reboot?

Oh, sorry, forgot this is the forum that wants the the movie to be a remake of Space Seed/TWOK with Gary Mitchell somehow mixed in.

4. Dale Sams

Dale Sams Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Slightly related, I feel that the Abrams Kirk-Spock Bromance will never be organic (Seeing how they started off as two alpha males*)...so they may as well go off in a different direction.

*Yes, I know it's workable, but they only have some 6-8 hours of screentime left to pull it off. I don't even feel the Kirk-Spock relationship is required at this point. We've been there. It is possible to make good TOS Trek without it.

5. Garak

Garak Cruisin' Premium Member

No, most people don't argue that.

6. serenitytrek1

serenitytrek1 Commander

I honestly think they do,in fact this argument started when the dvd of the 09 film was released there was mild complains about zoe been on the front of the dvd instead of karl urban.

the dvd cover had quinto, pine and zoe.(the new big three)

then ofcoures the trailer for the second film. So far we have only seen spock,uhura and kirk in civilian clothing.

we know kirk looses his captaincy so he goes on a deadly adventures to capture john harrsion with spock and uhura at his side .

My point is, In TOS it will have been Bones instead of uhura.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
  7. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

There's not much point in setting the stories in an alternate universe if you're going to do everything the same way.

8. serenitytrek1

serenitytrek1 Commander

you hit the nail on the head on this one my dear skywalker.this is one of the reasons why I hope NU-Spock doesnt die in this film because if he dies than the next film will be very similar to the search for spock and that will mean JJ universe will be nothing but a rehash of the TOS films.

9. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Of course it makes sense that Uhura is more central to the new movies - Saldana is deservedly a hot property these days and it makes the whole thing less of a sausagefest. It introduces something new to the dynamic - "Bones" is a pretty static character; he changed least among the three central characters over the decades.

10. INACTIVEUSS Einstein

INACTIVEUSS Einstein Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It is a little off how Uhura gets more time than Bones.

11. CommanderRaytas

CommanderRaytas DISCO QUEEEEEEN Rear Admiral

Intergalactic Planetary Planetary Intergalactic
    You know, I never thought of it this way, but it may be...nowadays, in scifi/fantasy flicks, they tend to include an action girl even if the original version of the source material didn't have one.

Best example is Peter Jackon's adaptation of Tolkien's novels. Not that LotR or The Hobbit needed action girls as books, but modern audiences apparently do. It's not a bad thing if done well (they even made one up for The Hobbit).

JJ Abrams did a really good job with having Uhura take a level in badass, so even though I love Urban's McCoy to bits, I approve of the change - if we're not imagining this change of the big three, that is.

12. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

McCoy is probably my favorite Star Trek character but I agree that it makes sense to have Uhura as a major character, it creates an interesting character dynamic, plus I think Saldana is an outstanding actress.

13. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    I'm sure we'll see a lot more of Urban's McCoy in new one.

14. CommanderRaytas

CommanderRaytas DISCO QUEEEEEEN Rear Admiral

Intergalactic Planetary Planetary Intergalactic
    I sure hope so. He's great!

15. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

Dammit I'm a doctor, not a movie star!

16. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

McCoy is not an action character. It would almost be silly to see him in action sequences. Can you imagine McCoy in Uhura's position on Kronos in the upcoming movie?

That said, McCoy does seem to have his "action" moment with Kirk in the first nine minutes. Dragged into it by Kirk, I'm sure, and not with the consequences intended, to be sure. I doubt McCoy signed up for cliff-jumping.

We have no idea what the McCoy-Spock interaction is like in the new movie.

The Kirk, Spock, McCoy scenes in most Trek that I can remember weren't action sequences, but had the three debating what a course of action should be or the merits/morals of a situation. They talked frankly like three officers who had served together for a number of years and were very comfortable with each other.

That social dynamic hasn't evolved in the new universe, yet. Kirk and McCoy are obviously friends. Probably good friends. A friendship is evolving between Kirk and Spock. But there probably isn't even mutual respect between McCoy and Spock, yet. The unfortunate thing about this three-way dynamic is there is no time for it to evolve to the TOS point in a series of short movies.

As far as that meaning Uhura has surplanted McCoy as the third of the "big three" goes, I doubt it.

17. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

I thought you were doing really well, and were on a good roll until you hit that last line.

18. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They're just playing with the dynamic from TOS season one where the two leads were Kirk and Spock and the two supporting leads were McCoy and Rand. In the show the dynamic of the triumvirate worked really well while Rand's role was limited because the women were largely decorative in the sixties, Kirk needed to play the field, and some other stuff going on behind the scenes led to the actress being fired. In an action movie franchise it's easy to see why Uhura's role as the girlfriend allows her to take up a niche that McCoy can't fill (and Rand was unable to fill because her relationship with Kirk was unrequited). I find it more concerning that Uhura is the only woman but at least Marcus will add to the mix.

19. serenitytrek1

serenitytrek1 Commander

I agree with saldana been an outstanding actress given the right material. it still amazes me that she is Neytiti from avatar. She did all those stunt herself in the film and also pulled off the Navi accent that was made up by James Cameron.That was great too.

Neytiri vs Uhura ;)

you decide.

However I do feel sympathy for Bones fans.

20. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I think it's safe to say the "big three" of the new movies are Kirk, Spock and Uhura. That's no disrespect to Karl Urban, he does a fantastic job. But these days you've gotta have a woman on top. (ahem)

I must admit, I cannot see De Kelley's McCoy keeping ahead of a bunch of charging tribal natives, jumping off a cliff then swimming down to the Enterprise airlock.

AU Starfleet must be feeding their recruits more red meat.