JOHN CARTER movie fans already demanding a sequel

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Mar 18, 2012.

1. newtontomato539

newtontomato539 Commander Red Shirt

I just read on the news that John Carter of Mars is in third place.

What is with the doom and gloom tm. :wtf:

Long live hard boiled/noir retrofuturism!

2. Caliburn24

Caliburn24 Commodore Commodore

I liked the movie very much, but honestly it doesn't require a sequel. Sure that Thern baddie is still out there, but the story told a fairly self contained story that had a satisfying ending.

What I am afraid of is that the failure John Carter will make it harder for other studios and directors to get their epic scope, epic budget, location heavy science fiction ideas greenlit.

3. AvBaur

AvBaur Captain Captain

Yeah, Disney's press release basically just states that they're not going to make any money off it this quarter. I'm sure the movie's gonna make its budget back eventually. Almost all studio movies do at some point.

Does anybody else find it strange that they would release this statement basically calling the movie a giant flop while the movie is still in theaters and actually doing quite well outside the US?

4. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

IMO, the script to Starship Troopers 2 was so bad that even a $70 million budget wouldn't have helped it. Presumably, the script to John Carter 2 could be at least as good as that to JC, since there's plenty of ERB where that came from. However, no doubt significantly fewer effects could hurt its prospects as a direct-to-DVD, though perhaps not among the core audience. Would it be enough to justify it? Who knows.

Still haven't seen ST3.

5. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

John Carter 2: the story of John's ten years on Earth looking for Therms never meeting an alien :lol:

6. USS KG5

USS KG5 Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreed, agreed, agreed.

But.. the good thing is at least it is not crying out for one. It wrapped up very nicely and will stand alone for those who liked it very well.

It's going to look stonking on Blu Ray as well!

7. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

I will probably end shelling out for the Blu-ray if it's a longer Director's cut. I suspect that large chunks had been elided to get the running time down.

8. CaptJimboJones

CaptJimboJones Vice Admiral Admiral

John Carter will get a sequel that will come out around the same time as Sky Captain 2. :)

I still haven't seen the movie yet - I keep seeing all the coverage of it being a flop, but haven't read much on the actual quality of the film. Is it worth seeing while its still in the theaters? I read all the JCOM novels voraciously as a teenager and was hopeful it might be a decent movie.

9. Draculasaurus

Draculasaurus Commander Red Shirt

I'm a huge fan of the books, also of Tarzan, the Venus series, the Pellucidar series, basically anything by Edgar Rice Burroughs.
    -but I haven't seen John Carter. I'm guessing it's terrible.
    I imagine it's something like Prince of Persia or Pirates of the Caribbean- fun action vignettes strung together on a forgettable plot.

"Pirates" wasn't really my thing, so from my point of view, Disney has made three good live action movies since the seventies, Tron, Return to Oz and The Rocketeer.
    A really terrible track record.

10. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

:guffaw:Fans acting logically? :guffaw:

11. AvBaur

AvBaur Captain Captain

I thought it was a LOT better than Prince of Persia. Also, I thought it was significantly better than the Star Wars prequels and most other similar recent films. Then again, I've heard from quite a few people who really didn't care for it. But the majority of moviegoers does seem to enjoy it. (71% on Flixster, 7.1/10 on IMDb)

12. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

yeah, i know right.

13. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

It probably has to do with internal studio politics, since (IIRC) the current executives in charge ousted the executives who greenlight John Carter.

14. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

It's far better than the atrocity that was Starship Troopers 2: Hero of the Federation. It's not nearly as good as the first one, of course, but it has its moments (like...a musical number).

15. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

well if they do a better job at promoting the movie and a better release day it would've done better. the movie was fantastic even with the changes the put.
    I love the books and I hope they do a sequal to it.

16. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    I loved the film too. And nice to see you back, timothy.

17. FalTorPan

FalTorPan Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreed, agreed. :)

18. USS KG5

USS KG5 Vice Admiral Admiral

Sky Captain was another film I loved everyone else hated!

19. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I loved Sky Captain! I just wish it had a stronger villain.

20. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    Giant killer robots, Brit helicarriers, what's not to love in Sky Captain?