Ways to bring back Dexter's mojo

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Joe Washington, Dec 14, 2010.

1. Joe Washington

Joe Washington Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

There used to be a time when Dexter was scary, creepy, and had enough in him to make him a compelling dark character. These days, he's just a parody of that person. Can any of you think of a way to bring back Dexter's mojo in the impending sixth season or do you think it's a bit too little too late?

2. Random_Spock

Random_Spock Vice Admiral Admiral

Not sure on that... maybe have more challenging serial killers for him to hunt? That's the best idea that I can come up with there.

3. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

End the series?

4. Serial thread killer

Serial thread killer Vice Admiral Premium Member

Isn't this your 4th thread on dexter?
    Maybe you should just stop watching.

5. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^Fitting name

-Work towards Deb finding out who Dexter really is as he works to either throw her scent off or embrace it and puts himself in the situation for her to find out. (like Temis mentioned in the other thread)
    -possibly put Cody, Astor, Harrison in some sense of danger. (Serial child killer comes to Miami)
    -have Lumen return follow thru with a relationship only to kill her off (although it would be a bit of a retread)
    -have Dexter finally go off his rocker and lose control like we saw at the beginning of this past season.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2010
  6. Black Dove

Black Dove Commodore Commodore

Personally, I thought the final shot of the finale set up a return of Dexter's dark side quite nicely. The look on his face while holding Harrison was chilling. He's done with love and companionship, now there's nothing holding back his dark passenger.

And in other news, it was reported today that Michael Hall and Jennifer Carpenter are getting a divorce! Maybe Deb will be on Dexter's table in the coming year.

7. Aaron McGuire

Aaron McGuire Commodore Commodore

Didn't he also say something to the effect of "I'm not really human like Luman thought,"? It looks like Dexter's Dark Passenger will be let off it's chain next season. Which would be great.

That would be... awkward.

Aaron Mcguire

8. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh god... That will wreck the show.

9. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Actually that's what I was hoping for after the death of Rita. I really thought we might see him retreat into himself and become the dark, isolated guy from the first season again.

But after a promising start (where we see him kill that guy in the bathroom), he went right back to being the poor, put-upon schmuck again.

I think probably a good place to start is by getting Harrison out of the show somehow. Having him constantly caring and worrying over a child can't HELP but make him soft. That one thing has undercut the character more than anything, I think.

He needs to truly become a loner again, commenting on the strange behavior of all the "normal" people around him. I really miss that.

10. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

The writers need to remember that he's not a vigilante killer. He's a serial killer who would easily kill innocent people if not for The Code. They keep trying to domesticate him!

What the heck has happened with The Code anyway? Dexter has killed at least two completely innocent (as far as we know) people (creepy photographer and the jerk in the bathroom in this season's premiere) without consequences. The fact that there would be consequences used to be the show's premise!

And why did the writers forget Dexter killed an innocent guy in the season premiere? Sloppy!
    I like these two ideas. They missed the boat with not making Lumen so damaged that she might be a threat to Dexter, but they could still take up a plotline where a recurring character is stalking Dexter and Dexter doesn't know it, but the audience does. Turning the tables on his usual routine.

Here's another creepy idea: Astor and Cody learn the truth about Dexter and they accept it. Kids would be more likely to just go along with Dexter's "independent" moral code than adults. Astor's already a weird little goth-ette anyway. I don't mean he'd train them as serial killers but that they would be in his corner.

11. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Characters grown and change, I don't see the point in having him be like he was in earlier seasons. The 5th season wasn't the best but I don't think there is a major issue yet about the quality of the show, infact season five kind of seem like one giant PART 1 of 2 story. Next season we will see the conclusion of Quinn/Dexter story but I would like the show to give Dexter a true equal villian like we had in season 1 and to an extent in season 4.

Rita death causing him to retreat would be a huge backwards step and throw out everything of the first 4 seasons plus being less emotional than most people, I can see why he wouldn't do what most people would do and retreat. However saying that I still would like more conflict of himself regarding her death.

Lumen leaving made sense to me, she wanted to kill the people who hurt her like most people would. She had something vested in their deaths but has no reason to want to kill all bad people, shes just not as damaged as Dexter. However they could of played it differently and had Lumen around for 2 episodes of season 6 before she realised she couldn't do what Dexter does.

12. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

Why? Divorces don't just come out of nowhere, whatever problems they are having they've been having for a while, and it hasn't ruined the show.

13. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

Just finished season 3 and I think they should have called it quits at the end of season 2. That's what's wrong with Dexter.

14. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It was never going to be the same person as season one. Development is not only inevitable, unless you're on Gilligan's Island, it's encouraged & required

This thing was always going somewhere. Will we all be pleased with where it goes? I'm not sure

15. Geck

Geck Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Killing together may have been the catalyst for their relationship, but over the season it seemed to grow deeper than that. Just because she had no reason/urge to kill anymore doesn't mean the relationship had to end. She understood and accepted him. Couples are allowed to have different "hobbies" and still be happy together. :p

I hope she'll come back at some point next season...and not have Dexter just receive a postcard from Minnesota saying she went back home and married her ex-fiance and life is wonderful again tra la la.

16. johnbrown

johnbrown Ensign Newbie

I agree with you Joe. This show must have something new and interesting now.

17. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Yeh not sure cold blooded killing is an allowed hobby in a relationship :lol:

18. LitmusDragon

LitmusDragon Commodore Commodore

Just do a better job next season. This season wasn't awful exactly but I know they can do better.

19. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah I understand it's inevitable... but that doesn't change the fact that Dexter has become a LOT less compelling and interesting now that he's become more human.

No matter how much Hall glares and growls, I just don't get the same sense of danger from his character that I used to. His serial killing is almost starting to feel more like a hobby now, instead of some deep, dark impulse that he can barely keep contained.

He's just become too much of a damn pussycat for my taste.

20. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

He'll never again reach the heights of braining that guy with a frying pan. That was the best.